Jump to content

Oren Burks  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. Will Oren Burks be Just Another Guy, like Jake Ryan?

    • Yes
      3
    • No
      28


Recommended Posts

I think you just got to love our team speed on defense now. No ones really a slowpoke in the secondary except Rollins and he's not seeing any playing time anytime soon. Martinez is probably your slowest LB and he's got adequate enough speed. And now Burks, I think some sacrifice for that excellent athleticism will ultimately benefit in the long run selecting Burks. He's just gotta put everything together at LB after switching around a lot in college. He's put in the perfect situation now to earn tons of experience this year after unfortunately Ryan going down. It's always a good thing to have a thumper in Martinez and a side line to side line athletic LB in Burks on the field at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think you just got to love our team speed on defense now. No ones really a slowpoke in the secondary except Rollins and he's not seeing any playing time anytime soon. Martinez is probably your slowest LB and he's got adequate enough speed. And now Burks, I think some sacrifice for that excellent athleticism will ultimately benefit in the long run selecting Burks. He's just gotta put everything together at LB after switching around a lot in college. He's put in the perfect situation now to earn tons of experience this year after unfortunately Ryan going down. It's always a good thing to have a thumper in Martinez and a side line to side line athletic LB in Burks on the field at the same time. 

Are we really that athletic?

HHCD: Good player but not a great athlete

Brice: Decent straight line athlete, explosive leaper, but stiff

Tramon Williams: Was a good athlete, not so much anymore.

Kevin King: Great athlete

Jaire Alexander: Great athlete

Blake Martinez: Good player but not a great athlete

Oren Burks: Very good athlete

Nick Perry: Explosive, but not what I would consider a great athlete in the classical sense

Clay Matthews: Not a great athlete any more

Mike Daniels: Good player but not a great athlete

Kenny Clark: Good player but not a great athlete

You could probably argue a few of these but I think I was fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the emphasis on athletes in recent years (many guys have really high RAS scores) has made the Packers defense more athletic than most.

Not everyone is an athlete of course (nor are they on any team), but in addition to the players @AlexGreen#20 mentioned, there is Josh Jones who has a 9+ (out of 10) RAS score, and Kendall Donnerson who has good agility and terrific speed (RAS 9.88). Donnerson is more likely to be seen on Special Teams this year,  if he makes the roster, he is a raw prospect.  Looney is another late-round rookie with very high scores (RAS 9.74)and Vince Biegel scores an 8+. While most of the high-athleticism prospects I mentioned have no surefire pass, come cutdown time, several will probably make it.

Perhaps, with this in mind, it's true to say the POTENTIAL athleticism of the defense as a whole is very high, while even now it is in the top, say 25%, of all teams, as it should be with both the Packers high emphasis on RAS measurables, along with early draft picks weighted toward the defense, in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we really that athletic?

HHCD: Good player but not a great athlete

Brice: Decent straight line athlete, explosive leaper, but stiff

Tramon Williams: Was a good athlete, not so much anymore.

Kevin King: Great athlete

Jaire Alexander: Great athlete

Blake Martinez: Good player but not a great athlete

Oren Burks: Very good athlete

Nick Perry: Explosive, but not what I would consider a great athlete in the classical sense

Clay Matthews: Not a great athlete any more

Mike Daniels: Good player but not a great athlete

Kenny Clark: Good player but not a great athlete

You could probably argue a few of these but I think I was fair. 

His 3 cone was relatively average but everything else was relatively exceptional

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/nick-perry 

I think Josh Jones should probably be on this list since he or King may be the best athlete on the defensive side of the ball. Not a starter but he'll get some playing time.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think you just got to love our team speed on defense now. No ones really a slowpoke in the secondary except Rollins and he's not seeing any playing time anytime soon. Martinez is probably your slowest LB and he's got adequate enough speed.

Man, you're gonna trigger that poster who hated Tramon. Chill out with that ****. 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Man, you're gonna trigger that poster who hated Tramon. Chill out with that ****. 😅

I actually still call Williams that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Man, you're gonna trigger that poster who hated Tramon. Chill out with that ****. 😅

I was about to say....y'all made a big deal about someone calling that guy "slowpoke" awhile back. Doubt y'all wanna open that pandora's box...allegedly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oren Burks made some plays last night.

Still a long ways to go, but he showed off some of his athleticism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oren Burks is going to make plays that no other inside linebacker has made in Green Bay since ____? 

Some of those plays, mostly defending the run, will be bad, but many more will be good.

Maybe not this year, but after so many years of substandard play at the position, the Burks-Martinez combo could turn into something special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal brains and on-the-field brains don't always sync.  But I think Martinez/Burks has a chance to be a REALLY smart pair of ILB.  

I think the same for Jackson, Jaire, and King at corner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Oren Burks is going to make plays that no other inside linebacker has made in Green Bay since ____? 

Some of those plays, mostly defending the run, will be bad, but many more will be good.

Maybe not this year, but after so many years of substandard play at the position, the Burks-Martinez combo could turn into something special.

Since either Nick Barnett or Wayne Simmons. 

I think Burks still needs an off-season to get stronger, but this might make him more ready for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×