Stock Up, Stock Down for OAK

ChaRisMa

7 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Burks' injury is being reported as a shoulder dislocation. Haven't seen ant timetable on it, but I've seen a few sources saying a typical timetable on a shoulder dislocation for pro athletes is 4-12 weeks without surgery. On the other hand, he wasn't wearing a sling on the sideline which one would expect if it was a serious issue.

If this is true, what about looking at Cushing, Bowman or Dansby at ILB, or if you slide CMJII inside, take a look at Willie Young?

9 hours ago, Donzo said:

The Fackrell hate is so silly posters are making stuff up to complain about and getting away with it- awful...

Fackrell consistently gets blocked by tight ends.  

He has the size and speed to help on ST's and to be a SAM backer in a 4-3.  He does not have the strength to consistently hold the edge vs. TE's, much less OT's.  

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Fackrell consistently gets blocked by tight ends.  

He has the size and speed to help on ST's and to be a SAM backer in a 4-3.  He does not have the strength to consistently hold the edge vs. TE's, much less OT's.  

He's got a limited skill set. He is doing a better job rushing the passer this preseason, albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Still, he was getting whopped pretty consistently against them the last few camps, so progress. I think he winds up as the 5 OLBer, unless Donnerson has a great 4th game. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I was at a bar and missed most of this but caught some of the replay. I'd give a stock up to Allison as well. Had a couple of really nice catches early in the game.

Were you the guy at the bar with me that asked to change the TV to the GB game instead of MN and then some guy got mad?

Wait, that was me.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Different ways to look at that N8

The Packers need to know which of the back up OL to keep and how their back- up QBs handle pressure. Hundley and Kizer wear pink jerseys in practice and are off limits, so the only chance you get to see them handle live-fire is in the game. Game 3 of preseason, the training wheels come off and that's a really valuable learning experience for everybody. Sure, it was a poor display and you certainly hope for better. But ripping the HC over it seems off base, that's how the real world works and the coaches need to see it and how these guys react to it. Helping Murphy doesn't tell us if Murphy is a keeper and cut down day is looming

Another review I came across said Hundley was turning his 3 step drops into 4 as he double clutched time and again. Maybe one of the other posters can shed some light on that - I ain't watching it again.

The offense wasn’t sucessful...how could he not receive some blame? Fact of the matter remains...he did his QBs no favors out there against a stacked deck. 

If you help Murphy - then what did you learn ? That Murphy needs help ? That really doesn't offer much insight does it ? GB already knows they are keeping 3 QBs - I don't believe that's the question they were trying to answer last night. Preseason isn't about making the 2nd string offense hum along.( though you hope it does)

It about setting the roster and so you can make an informed decision next week over who stays and who goes. They tested these back-ups vs starters and got a good look at these guys under duress. It was most certainly a poor performance by the players, but that's far more instructive than helping the OTs or putting training wheels on the QBs. Think of it this way:

If you never get in over your head - then how do you know how tall you are ? 

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If you help Murphy - then what did you learn ? That Murphy needs help ? That really doesn't offer much insight does it ? GB already knows they are keeping 3 QBs - I don't believe that's the question they were trying to answer last night. Preseason isn't about making the 2nd string offense hum along.( though you hope it does)

It about setting the roster and so you can make an informed decision next week over who stays and who goes. They tested these back-ups vs starters and got a good look at these guys under duress. It was most certainly a poor performance by the players, but that's far more instructive than helping the OTs or putting training wheels on the QBs. Think of it this way:

I do agree with the part of what you're saying, these guys are mainly being evaluated right now for one v one situations. But Murphy was repeatedly play after play getting beat, how much more do you need to see after you get beat 3 or 4 times in a row? How many times is it gonna take before you see he just isn't good enough out there is mainly the problem. I would have pulled him earlier for Pankey (IIRC thats who they put in for Murphy). 

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Was there an opportunity lost to see if a TE or RB was capable of helping the OT?

I believe the games in preseason are about assessment of all players in all potential situations.

Might even say it is for coaches to recognize a need for adjustment and alter a gameplan.

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I really hope we don't keep 3 QBs...

Unless you count Boyle on the PS as #3

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Was there an opportunity lost to see if a TE or RB was capable of helping the OT?

I believe the games in preseason are about assessment of all players in all potential situations.

Might even say it is for coaches to recognize a need for adjustment and alter a gameplan.

Capable of helping the OT certainly has some merit - I've seen plays where the RB actually knocked the defender free from the OT, so it does take some practice and coordination.

However, I believe the preseason is mostly about finding out which back-ups can function in the Packers starting offense. That entire 2nd unit won't ever play together in the regular season, what you're trying to learn is how they'll function in the AR-run offense. And for whatever reason, chipping isn't a big part of that under MM. AR knows where the stress points are and he adjusts accordingly with a variety of QB-driven tactics.

Also noted: The coaches don't spend much time game-planning in preseason either, so I'm not sure that's much value or insight either. I understand that the game was hard to watch and the HC said it was totally disjointed and full of penalties. I'm just not certain that the strategies you're talking here about are part of the preseason evaluations...they want to see how these guys function vs starting defenders and how they function in the Packers starting offense. 

It’s a small sample and the preseason but was encouraging that on that first drive after they gave up big plays to Oakland the defense held them to a FG in the red zone. Hopefully that reflects Pettine red zone defense going forward because a recent capers defense would have gave up the TD there for sure.

Arden Key

What was the deal with this guy coming out of college? I seem to recall - perhaps mistakenly - some bad attributes hung on him and his draft status. Did he drop accordingly?
I ask only because he seemed to play a good game the other night - be that because of his individual talents - or the level of OT play he was up against.

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

To answer your initial question, something about the other 9 players on the field, which you couldn't learn because Kizer was too busy eating turf to throw the ball.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Arden Key

What was the deal with this guy coming out of college? I seem to recall - perhaps mistakenly - some bad attributes hung on him and his draft status. Did he drop accordingly?
I ask only because he seemed to play a good game the other night - be that because of his individual talents - or the level of OT play he was up against.

SIGNIFICANT character concerns.  There were reports of him having a substance abuse problem with hard drugs.

Archived