What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Job A was originally a stepping stone job to Medical School, but when that wasn't an option she went the corporate path for that company and here we are. She's basically reached the end of the line, since the only other option forward is a Director position which she has no interest in. Job B is a personal trainer which also adds experience to her PA school application. So the answer here is yes and no. Both jobs allow her to study and take necessary classes she needs for PA school, but neither job really directly lines her up for anything long-term.

Sticking a disclaimer here: I've spent all of 5 minutes thinking about this. You've each lived it. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

My take: Neither of these jobs are close to ideal. There's significant stress and long hours without the type of pay or long term payoff in skill development to compensate for it. Therefore, if I had to rank these, I would go as follows

1. Job B, but only if your girlfriend makes enough to keep her afloat, then uses the schedule flexibility to spend significant time looking for a better job that hits more of her want list
  2. Job A
  3. Job B, without the second job that is job hunting

If your girlfriend is managing people in a high stress environment, that's something that translates across different industries, so I think there is a job out that that will give her more of a positive long term outlook.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

My worry here is all financial. I know she'll be happier not in Job A, but if the finances don't line up, it's going to sink both of us since I can't afford to pay for our place alone right now, and if she doesn't have enough money to cover her bills month to month it's going to add a new type of stress that's probably greater than the stress she feels now. So I'm hoping getting those 1-2 extra jobs on the side will remedy that.

Alright hold up. This doesn't work. You need to find a cheaper place to live together, full stop.

This is the kind of situation that ends with one person sticking around out of financial obligation, not love. If you actually want to find out if she's the one, you both need the option to leave at any point until you know.

• Like 2

^^^ Agree with @ramssuperbowl99 post.  If she is motivated then I'd say B. She isn't even making $14.50 per hour with A, so the cut before commission is not massive per hour. Earning a $3 commission per hour average shouldn't be a massive undertaking.

Benefits are a big deal, but unlikely the benefits are amazing at job a. The other thing about job B is it allows her to start building her "resume" so to speak. She can shadow an MD, DO, or PA for 5 hours a week for example. She does that for 1 year and when applying to her PA schools of choice she can claim 250+ hours of shadowing (maybe they'll it a formal internship), maybe gets the MD and PA to give letters of recommendation, and she gets to boast of knowledge in the field. That is just a start to it for her. PA school is no joke and is getting damn near as hard to gain admittance as allopathic and osteopathic programs.

Take advantage of getting a job she enjoys and can invest in herself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

She has all the volunteering hours and experience she needs because of Job A before she went corporate. She has over 30,000 or whatever crazy amount of hours from being a Medical Scribe, and she's shadowed a lot of people. What she lacked going into this whole thing was the grades and the classes, so that's what she's doing now while attempting to apply for PA school next spring.

You got yourself a damn go-getter. It sounds like a lot but to get through medical school and residency, she will need that hellish work ethic. I promise you that bud. Sounds like she has a really good chance though.

• Like 1

Little tough love incoming...

14 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

We're also working on this as well. We had to upgrade to a 2 bedroom to accommodate for her office while she worked at home, but now we're reaching a point where, especially if she goes back to PA school, I need to be able to pay the rent by myself if push comes to shove and she can't work. So that's in the works and hopefully in the next few months we'll be able to solve that situation.

This needs to be priority #1. You have a girlfriend career and financial issue that, because you have become financially dependent on each other without being married, is now not only all of that, but also a relationship issue and a career/financial issue for you. It's already changing your relationship, because you're going to be stuck pushing her to a job she hates because of how it impacts your short term cash situation.

So if we want to move out, we have to find a house. If we want to find a house where the mortgage is within a range that a single income can handle, in the Portland-area market? It's tough. Very tough.

There's probably a great deal on yachts somewhere out there but it doesn't mean **** if you can't afford it. You can't afford that townhouse. End of conversation.

So if we want to move out, we have to find a house. If we want to find a house where the mortgage is within a range that a single income can handle, in the Portland-area market? It's tough. Very tough.

Or a roommate. Craigslist is a thing. You've each got jobs and co-workers. Maybe they need a roommate, the northwest is expensive.

I've lived with 2 women in my life. One made very little and had more than $100k in student loans. The other made ~$80k/year with cushy benefits in a medium cost of living city. In each case, when moving in together, we both had to be able to 100% afford the place to the point where we could just up and leave one night if that's what it came to. 

Your girlfriend is going to head to PA school, so that means she's doing the student loan thing and as your career takes off, you'll be faced with taking on all of the burden for improving your collective lifestyle. If you aren't marrying her, you're going to have to resist this temptation.

13 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

She has all the volunteering hours and experience she needs because of Job A before she went corporate. She has over 30,000 or whatever crazy amount of hours from being a Medical Scribe, and she's shadowed a lot of people. What she lacked going into this whole thing was the grades and the classes, so that's what she's doing now while attempting to apply for PA school next spring.

This makes me lean towards Job B. These are each stopgaps and she's got a plan to get to her career. Good for her for putting in all that work, definitely not easy. Thought about med school myself for a long time and ultimately decided it wasn't for me.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

Regarding your last thing - she's not interested in those kinds of jobs. She has no will to manage people and coordinate teams of people across several regions - even though she's clearly talented and skilled at it. She wants to become a Doctor or a PA. I've even encouraged her to look for those types of jobs, but to no avail.

This is tough.  My wife (then gf) went to school for Pharmacy but decided she didn't want to do that.  So she switched majors to Nursing halfway in.  Fast forward 5-6 years into working as a Nurse and she decides she's not big on that either.  So she switches to Clinical eduction.  Fast forward another 2 years and she's a stay at home mom/working part-time for her brother.

So...my advice here is that if she's "truly" passionate about the other jobs then maybe it's worth the risk.  If it's just that she doesn't "like" her current work, well it's work.  They pay us for a reason...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyty said:

@FinneasGage I didn’t die in my sleep good morning 

glad you made it dog. i had a heart palpitation right before falling asleep that sent me into round 2 of that anxiety train homie. was pacing around my apartment complex for a solid 45 minutes. but.. i too once again did not die in my sleep. be good today bro

• Like 2