2019 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

The 1st round has to be edge, linebacker and safety. Right?

Just Defensive BPA and not pick 3 picks on the same level of the defense imo. If BPA lands on two secondary picks or two EDGE guys I’m ok with it. 

36 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

The 1st round has to be edge, linebacker and safety. Right?

I would be ok with 2 DL and an LB.  Safety needs to happen, but there will be a few decent FAs also.  I think we need 2 DEs, 1 DT,  2 LBs, 2 Safeties.  Then on O we need another OT, WR, and RB.  We need a good set of FAs to take some pressure off the draft.  We are lacking of talent pretty much everywhere.

I think almost all of us agree that going best 3 defensive players would be the truly smart thing to do.

However, I think come draft time we are going to be in for some surprises.  I can almost guarantee that Gruden is not letting the 1st round come and go without grabbing at least a WR on offense (I just don't know at this point what type he's looking for).  I also wouldn't be surprised if he uses another 1st rounder on a RT.  

Putting my on my egomaniacal Gruden hat on and trying to rationalize whats been going on, this is what I'm thinking.  See Gruden can't stomach the idea of his "offensive mastermind" and "prodigal son returns" label being tarnished.  I'm going to make an assumption and go with the thought that Gruden does have a plan.  This is what I'm thinking he's looking at:

Year one obviously didn't start off with a bang, so he gets a theoretical pass (in his own mind) because "the Raiders team was a mirage" and needed to be built in his image.  

Year two, Gruden replaces Mack with early 1st rounder (and "fixes" the Mack fiasco) then drafts heavy offensively (literally and figuratively).  Once again we overly rely on older/miscast FA vets and mid round draft picks on defense.  I think we make a BIGTIME FA splash and pick up Bell in FA (for the record I view this as an absolute terrible idea).  Carr gets one more sink or swim year as he "has all the weapons in the world" to make Gruden's plan work.  If Carr and Raiders look good, Gruden looks like a genius and gets to browbeat his critics with "I had a plan all along."

Gruden now has two built in excuses for 2019.  One: The  defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain, it's Gunther's fault and he needs to go.  Two: Carr just wasn't the QB we thought he was.  

As a contingency he now has two 1st rounders in 2020 to move around to take another QB (giving him yet again another built in excuse).  Admittedly, the benefit of this is that the rookie QB should have better offensive weapons to come in and handle duties and have a better chance of success.

Again, this is trying to see if I can crack the Gruden mindset (likely my Behavioral Health background) as I can't believe that he doesn't have a long-term plan.

23 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I think almost all of us agree that going best 3 defensive players would be the truly smart thing to do.

However, I think come draft time we are going to be in for some surprises.  I can almost guarantee that Gruden is not letting the 1st round come and go without grabbing at least a WR on offense (I just don't know at this point what type he's looking for).  I also wouldn't be surprised if he uses another 1st rounder on a RT.  

Putting my on my egomaniacal Gruden hat on and trying to rationalize whats been going on, this is what I'm thinking.  See Gruden can't stomach the idea of his "offensive mastermind" and "prodigal son returns" label being tarnished.  I'm going to make an assumption and go with the thought that Gruden does have a plan.  This is what I'm thinking he's looking at:

Year one obviously didn't start off with a bang, so he gets a theoretical pass (in his own mind) because "the Raiders team was a mirage" and needed to be built in his image.  

Year two, Gruden replaces Mack with early 1st rounder (and "fixes" the Mack fiasco) then drafts heavy offensively (literally and figuratively).  Once again we overly rely on older/miscast FA vets and mid round draft picks on defense.  I think we make a BIGTIME FA splash and pick up Bell in FA (for the record I view this as an absolute terrible idea).  Carr gets one more sink or swim year as he "has all the weapons in the world" to make Gruden's plan work.  If Carr and Raiders look good, Gruden looks like a genius and gets to browbeat his critics with "I had a plan all along."

Gruden now has two built in excuses for 2019.  One: The  defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain, it's Gunther's fault and he needs to go.  Two: Carr just wasn't the QB we thought he was.  

As a contingency he now has two 1st rounders in 2020 to move around to take another QB (giving him yet again another built in excuse).  Admittedly, the benefit of this is that the rookie QB should have better offensive weapons to come in and handle duties and have a better chance of success.

Again, this is trying to see if I can crack the Gruden mindset (likely my Behavioral Health background) as I can't believe that he doesn't have a long-term plan.

If he used a first on a RT I'll be done.

Matt Miller was talking very highly of Alabama DT Quinnen Williams. They were saying that they wouldn’t be surprised to see him leap frog Ed Oliver as DT1. I haven’t seen much of Alabama this season cause they just haven’t been in that many good games. But will be watching the LSU game on Saturday and will be looking for him. 

Only offensive player I would like in the first round is TE Noah Fant. Would replace Cook and have a match up nightmare. 

I don’t see the Raiders going offense tackle in this draft. Gruden drafted Parker he won’t ditch that pick so quickly. If he didn’t draft Parker and he came from Reggie then I wouldn’t put it past him. But you have to see what Parker can do which they’re doing right now and have to give him a full offseason. Parker was hurt early on in camp. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's the logical choice. But don't be surprised if Gruden sneaks in an offensive player. 

TBH i wouldn’t care if the value is there. Taking a future all pro on offense would be infinitely better than taking a JAG just because the defense is terrible. BUT the value needs to be there. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it either 2 D and 1 O player or the reverse. I would be quite surprised if it is all 3 defenders, and astoundingly surprised if it is all 3 offensive players. 

Those who think we're going all 3 picks on D aren't thinking straight. Gruden is an offensive coach who I think is well aware we are basically garbage at the skill positions and old. So really, expect to see a WR or a RB in the 1st. Or a TE remotely but possibly. If not a QB. The whole Carr thing isn't a settled story, necessarily. 

I don't pick up on draft news and analysis until around December, but how likely would it for the Raiders to go interior Dline in the draft considering the team just drafted Hall and Hurst? I know Ed Oliver is awesome and interior defensive line is generally one of the deepest positions in any given draft, but I would have to think if talent is generally equal, that edge, linebacker, and corner must be the positions the Raiders covet in round 1, right?

I honestly wouldn't be too mad going after two edge players in round one if the board fell that way. I know Bosa is awesome but there's also Ferrell from Clemson and the guy from Miami and Florida State. I'm not sure how good of a season the latter two are having, though.

58 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't pick up on draft news and analysis until around December, but how likely would it for the Raiders to go interior Dline in the draft considering the team just drafted Hall and Hurst? I know Ed Oliver is awesome and interior defensive line is generally one of the deepest positions in any given draft, but I would have to think if talent is generally equal, that edge, linebacker, and corner must be the positions the Raiders covet in round 1, right?

I honestly wouldn't be too mad going after two edge players in round one if the board fell that way. I know Bosa is awesome but there's also Ferrell from Clemson and the guy from Miami and Florida State. I'm not sure how good of a season the latter two are having, though.

I think it would come down to their thoughts on if they can work in a rotation or if either is well suited to play base end in Guenther's scheme.  I do not know who is playing what positions currently but we only have 3 listed DE's.  Brown is 282 lbs but Irvin (250) and Key (238) are very small compared to what Guenther had in Cinci.  I would expect to see 5 DE on the team next year and for 2 of them to be taken in the first 2 days with one in FA.  I was also just looking over our current roster and we may have 25-30 new players on this team next year.  Half of this team will be gone next year.

Archived