2019 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I fully understand them wanting to get value for him. I dont agree with it, but i understand it.

Point is, on draft day, they believed the 2 sides could come together. 4 months later they trade him.

The Raiders caved into the agents demands, and that can be a slippery slope.

They then traded Cooper, again getting value for a young player that they felt they werent going to be able yo resign.

But we have Cap space, moving to a city with no state tax, and an offensive coach in Gruden.. 

To me the raiders knew coops agent was going to tell him to play hardball...

Are the raiders just never going to pay players with specific agents? 

I just fear the timing of the trade showed weakness on the raiders side, that agents will try to take advantage of moving forward

Or by trading Mack and Cooper and refusing to sign their clients you are showing the agent who is boss.

6 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Or by trading Mack and Cooper and refusing to sign their clients you are showing the agent who is boss.

well i mean, the agents job is to get the players paid... the agent works for the player. 

Why are you trying to show a walking HOFs agent youre the boss? 
Because end of the day, Khalil Mack was the boss. Not the Raiders. 

also to add.. i dont know how that showed the agent they were the boss. 

If they were the boss let the player hold out... that hurts the agent more. 

we traded him, and the agent got more money. Agent earned more money getting mack to chicago, then he would have if he stayed in oak. The agent thinks he won for sure. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

also to add.. i dont know how that showed the agent they were the boss. 

If they were the boss let the player hold out... that hurts the agent more. 

we traded him, and the agent got more money. Agent earned more money getting mack to chicago, then he would have if he stayed in oak. The agent thinks he won for sure. 

It's a business that's all about the money. Mack and his agent absolutely won.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Bell was the exception, not the rule. Mack likely wouldn't have sat out the entire season. Most players/agents play hardball and sign before losing actual game checks. The Raiders caved, it's that simple. 

You saying what Mack would have likely done is only assumption and based on the past. This is a new year and like you said Mack is  premier player. But two guys making 25 mil a year just isn't sound cap math.

All they had to do was pay him. He's the best defensive player in football, the kind of guy you should pay. Took Chicago 24 hours to make it work after adding him.

Already covered this but saying to just pay him is short sited. And of course CHI signed him. They just traded 2 1sts for him. They had to pony up. That has no bearing on what we're discussing.

Yes (just naming teams).... But Denver is an organization that is well ran. Won a Superbowl in this era. Are generally well managed. All teams have conflict and disagreement, some have meddling owners (Dallas, Washington). Some make mistakes on players (KC this year), etc. But the absolute crazy is reserved for the Raiders and Browns. Organizations that top down seem to operate in complete chaos. 

All 3 teams that you have named have had major dysfunction in the past 10 years.

He was gone the moment Gruden was hired. A well run organization would own that, and moved on Jan. 2018. Instead, we saw Gruden get up their straight faced lying through his teeth about their relationship or blasting the work he'd done. Some courtesy....

Another assumption that is banded around with no evidence. You don't know what was done behind closed doors. Reggie did somethings well and others not so well but it's not crazy to think that Gruden wanted to get in the building and make his own assessment. And only after they worked together did Gruden decide to move on. Seems more likely to me than taking a lame duck GM through a season knowing your gonna can him in the off season.

It's been in the midst of transition since 2002.... 1 playoff appearance in 16 seasons. And that team was blown up by Gruden.

Most of that was under Al and we don't need to go there.

We are talking about the current 2012 regime. Mark and Reggie tried with Allen but he proved to be not ready. Jack made strides but the 2016 year really F'ed us with the Carr injury. Without that who knows what the situation is right now. That team was posed to do some things.

But this discussion isn't going anywhere and we're clogging up the thread. Let's just agree to disagree because I doubt either of us will stop.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:33 AM, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I'm going to get roasted for this, but I want Jonah Williams if we don't get Bosa. I know the defense needs help, but helping Carr is more important imo.

I’ve been leaning towards Jonah or a Top OT if we pick in the 3-6 range and can’t get Bosa or Williams. Let’s get that beast OLine back.. I think Kolton would be much better in the right side. And obv get rid of Penn, he shouldn’t of even been on the team this year but we had limited options. 

For our other two 1st Rounders and 2nd Rounder we would definitely need to go defense. 

On 12/18/2018 at 7:42 AM, Rolni said:

Let's say we finish at #2 or #3, while the Cardinals got the #1 pick.

Let's say that they are willing to move down a bit to get the best OT to protect their QB.

We're trying to rebuild our entire team from the ground up, we need to be trading down and acquiring more assets, not trading up. I want Bosa but if he's off the board I'd prefer we move down, acquire more draft capital, and look to add more young talent.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, big_palooka said:

Been watching UMass WR Andy Isabella today. He flashed some speed against Georgia when they played. Really like his game. He's an absolute speed demon who make plays every touch. He's like a poor mans Hollywood Brown. Lot of fun to watch. 

Probably my favorite WR in a weak class this year. Would love him in round 4/5

10 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

Probably my favorite WR in a weak class this year. Would love him in round 4/5

I wouldn't say it's weak.. It's just doesn't have a top 10 pick wr. Plenty of end 1st - 3rd wrs that have potential to be high end #2 or a #1.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

I wouldn't say it's weak.. It's just doesn't have a top 10 pick wr. Plenty of end 1st - 3rd wrs that have potential to be high end #2 or a #1.

I agree with you somewhat. I don't think there's any worthy of top 20 which is why it feels weak to me. But you're right, plenty late 1-3 options. Seems to be a good year for big WRs. Not a lot of good route runners in this class though imo.

34 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

I agree with you somewhat. I don't think there's any worthy of top 20 which is why it feels weak to me. But you're right, plenty late 1-3 options. Seems to be a good year for big WRs. Not a lot of good route runners in this class though imo.

Yeah.. We need the type of wr coming out though. Fits carrs go to type of wr. 

Archived