Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Past the monitoring her eating, can you expand on this @Matts4313? Can't re-watch the beginning at work

The little girl worked in the kitchen and Varys looked disappointed that Dany wasn't eating anything.  She was also scared that the guards were watching her closer.  The girl repeated what Varys had once told her "the greater the risk, the greater the reward."

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:
13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How did I miss that.

Past the monitoring her eating, can you expand on this @Matts4313? Can't re-watch the beginning at work

The whole conversation. He talks about how "anything worth it is dangerous" or something like that. And in an earlier episode there is the comment "Poison is the weapon of women and eunichs. Did you know Varys is a eunich?"

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, the plan unraveled when he told Tyrion of his misgivings.   It didn't matter afterwards, once he let Tyrion know of his misgivings, it was only a matter of time before he'd get caught.  

They needed to write in the growing...dispute over the future - which requires dialog between some persons of consequence.

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

The little girl worked in the kitchen and Varys looked disappointed that Dany wasn't eating anything She was also scared that the guards were watching her closer.  The girl repeated what Varys had once told her "the greater the risk, the greater the reward."

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

The whole conversation. He talks about how "anything worth it is dangerous" or something like that. And in an earlier episode there is the comment "Poison is the weapon of women and eunichs. Did you know Varys is a eunich?"

Correct - and he says - "We'll try again at supper........."

Just now, Leader said:

They needed to write in the growing...dispute over the future - which requires dialog between some persons of consequence.

I get it, just that as been covered, if they had 8-10 eps left (or more than 2 lol), they could have had scenes with Varys struggling with the dilemna, working his usual MO behind the scenes, and then get undone by an even smarter countermove by Tyrion.  That would have been classic GoT.  Compressed timelines didn't allow that, though.   Which I get, but it's the one fair criticism to pretty much every major ep 4-5 turn - timing has sped up the event progression, so the leadup to these new twists are paper-thin compared to before.    It's ironic - take too long to build something up, ppl complain nothing happens, but go too fast, it doesn't feel earned.   Finding the right balance is hard - and in this case, impossible given the constraints of the season.

I was fine with the Jaime arc. Did people really expect him to see Danerys going mad king on KL and kill her enemy and the love of his life/mother of his child for her? Honestly I think that would have somehow made me feel like he was a worse person. Sticking the knife in Cersei's back would have been cheesy catering to the traditional redemption story, which to me isn't the style of the show to begin with.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I get it, just that as been covered, if they had 8-10 eps left (or more than 2 lol), they could have had scenes with Varys struggling with the dilemna, working his usual MO behind the scenes, and then get undone by an even smarter countermove by Tyrion.  That would have been classic GoT.  Compressed timelines didn't allow that, though.   Which I get, but it's the one fair criticism to pretty much every major ep 4-5 turn - timing has sped up the event progression, so the leadup to these new twists are paper-thin compared to before.    It's ironic - take too long to build something up, ppl complain nothing happens, but go too fast, it doesn't feel earned.   Finding the right balance is hard - and in this case, impossible given the constraints of the season.

Understood. Agree and have stated the same: the "End Was Coming"   Simple fact. They needed to close it up.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Uh... what? 

People need to stop comparing the writing of the show to the writing of the books. We all know D&D aren't great writers. 

I honestly think that the big moments for the most part have been well done. The Red Wedding and Jon Snows death we’re done BETTER in the show. Cersei blowing up the sept...absolutely brilliant...arguably the best piece in the entire shows history...without book help. Jon’s identity reveal, though rushed a bit, was also very well done...without the books help. 

I believe that outside of a few omissions, this weeks show was very good. Those who hate it are just over the show at this point. The White Walker episode was the one where they really missed the boat. They missed a bunch of opportunities there. That is literally the only significant tarnish on this shows legacy for me so far. 

EDIT: I’ve probably watched Hardhome more than any other episode. Not in the book. D&D will be criticized but they have done some things very well, even without the books, especially considering their constraints. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, the plan unraveled when he told Tyrion of his misgivings about Dany with the Aegon reveal.   It didn't matter afterwards, once he let Tyrion know of his misgivings, it was only a matter of time before he'd get caught.  Showing him approach Jon in the open was lazy writing, but that's inevitable given the 2-eps-left status of the show.  

I don’t know if i agree that it was lazy writing. Everyone knew this would be the most significant move in Westeros in a long time and Varys went all in on the person he trusted to be the best leader in his lifetime. I think he understood the consequences and went with it because it’s what he believed and needed Jon to hear what he was saying. It was him finally not hiding in the shadows. 

5 minutes ago, amac said:

I was fine with the Jaime arc. Did people really expect him to see Danerys going mad king on KL and kill her enemy and the love of his life/mother of his child for her? Honestly I think that would have somehow made me feel like he was a worse person. Sticking the knife in Cersei's back would have been cheesy catering to the traditional redemption story, which to me isn't the style of the show to begin with.

Wouldn’t have ever been for Dany. Would’ve been against Cersei’s tyranny because he understood what she was. 

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Cersei blowing up the sept...absolutely brilliant...arguably the best piece in the entire shows history...without book help.

And it has some serious musical editing to it. Started from the very first scene.