NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I am very bitter about this offensive juggernaut that Reid has built in KC... no, he never had a rocket arm like Mahomes at his disposal, and I can forgive him for that, McNabb was a fine choice to roll with... but he had a decade of roster control and never got half the receiving talent these KC teams seem to have with wide open men 20+ yards downfield every other play. Maybe it wasn’t until he got Mahomes, and schemed around him (as you’d do for your 1st round QB), that he unlocked his true genius?

Have his schemes changed all that much? Seems more content to have Mahomes just stay in the pocket than McMabb/Vick, but is the rest of the offense noticeably different? 

Reid did have a rocket armed QB in Vick, albeit through an incredibly short-lived stint. Bombing the ball to Jackson and Maclin, who were more than speedy enough. I just think Vick wasn’t the QB that Mahomes is, and Jackson - as great a deep threat he was - isn’t what Hill is right now either. 

30 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:
4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I am very bitter about this offensive juggernaut that Reid has built in KC... no, he never had a rocket arm like Mahomes at his disposal, and I can forgive him for that, McNabb was a fine choice to roll with... but he had a decade of roster control and never got half the receiving talent these KC teams seem to have with wide open men 20+ yards downfield every other play. Maybe it wasn’t until he got Mahomes, and schemed around him (as you’d do for your 1st round QB), that he unlocked his true genius?

Have his schemes changed all that much? Seems more content to have Mahomes just stay in the pocket than McMabb/Vick, but is the rest of the offense noticeably different? 

Reid did have a rocket armed QB in Vick, albeit through an incredibly short-lived stint. Bombing the ball to Jackson and Maclin, who were more than speedy enough. I just think Vick wasn’t the QB that Mahomes is, and Jackson - as great a deep threat he was - isn’t what Hill is right now either. 

I agree. Having watched Reid from the 'other side' for years, he was always an offensive genius. He schemed incredibly well, but it really hasnt changed much. I think the production you are seeing is more the result of talent. Which has to do a lot with the front office and team scouts. 

Shurmur opened the door for benching Eli. I've seen almost every snap of Eli's career and I can't wait for it to end at this point. He hasn't been terrible this year but there's no point to him playing. He can't rise above or make things happen on his own. Trade him if you can or just make him watch. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

Shurmur opened the door for benching Eli. I've seen almost every snap of Eli's career and I can't wait for it to end at this point. He hasn't been terrible this year but there's no point to him playing. He can't rise above or make things happen on his own. Trade him if you can or just make him watch. 

The Rooneys and the Maras are family... The Steelers need a QB. 

12 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

Man I hate when coaches do this.  It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Everyone knew what kind of QB Eli Manning was going into this season.  He was bad in 2017.  He was bad in 2018.  So then, unsurprisingly, he's bad again and now after 2-3 weeks you are going to bench him?  You may as well have started Daniel Jones.  Like what else could Shurmur have possibly been expecting?  And I don't buy the "waiting for Jones to be ready" logic because if they bench Eli for Week 3, then I seriously doubt Jones somehow got that much more ready in the last 2 weeks than he was prior to Week 1.

Same thing with the Fitzpatrick/Rosen situation.  It would be so dumb if they benched Fitzpatrick after 2 games, as if they expected a turnover machine career back-up to play well with back-ups around him.

Edited by iknowcool

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Man I hate when coaches do this.  It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Everyone knew what kind of QB Eli Manning was going into this season.  He was bad in 2017.  He was bad in 2018.  So then, unsurprisingly, he's bad again and now after 2-3 weeks you are going to bench him?  You may as well have started Daniel Jones.  Like what else could Shurmur have possibly been expecting?

Same thing with the Fitzpatrick/Rosen situation.  It would be so dumb if they benched Fitzpatrick after 2 games, as if they expected a turnover machine career back-up to play well with back-ups around him.

The plan was to get rid of OBJ, replace him with Golden Tate, and Eli would be lights out. Dont you see the genius in that?