Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

Bears fan all of my life but thought it was crazy that we took Trubisky over Watson. Watson hasnt been great this year but it made no sense to take a flyer on this dude at #2. Never really been a winner, never really played at a super high level, inexperienced. I have very little faith in Trubisky. More just like hope haha. I hope Tru is good but there is no reason to think he will be good besides winning Mr. Football in Ohio as a high school kid.

Like legit think about the experience of winning a national title as opposed to messing around at UNC for one season.

14 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Bears fan all of my life but thought it was crazy that we took Trubisky over Watson. Watson hasnt been great this year but it made no sense to take a flyer on this dude at #2. Never really been a winner, never really played at a super high level, inexperienced. I have very little faith in Trubisky. More just like hope haha. I hope Tru is good but there is no reason to think he will be good besides winning Mr. Football in Ohio as a high school kid.

Like legit think about the experience of winning a national title as opposed to messing around at UNC for one season.

Trubisky has a better record than Watson now.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Who you got if you have to pick one moving forward - 

Everyone's favorite draft prospect to hate, Mr Josh Allen, 

or Trubisky? 

Well I mean Josh Allen's the next Dan Marino right so this is tough?

Seriously though, I'd honestly flip a coin.

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Wow I had no idea Burton wasn't slotted to be their starting TE. Kind of a lot to throw $32M/4 year deal at a backup TE even if you plan to go heavy with the double TE sets.

Burton was signed to fill the "U" Tight End position in this offense, similar to how the Chiefs use Travis Kelce.

Adam Shaheen, Bears 2nd round pick in 2017, was also expected to play a big role in this offense as the "Y" Tight End before he got hurt in preseason.  

Once he's back from IR, hopefully by midseason I think we'll start to see this offense really take shape.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Burton was signed to fill the "U" Tight End position in this offense, similar to how the Chiefs use Travis Kelce.

Adam Shaheen, Bears 2nd round pick in 2017, was also expected to play a big role in this offense as the "Y" Tight End before he got hurt in preseason.  

Once he's back from IR, hopefully by midseason I think we'll start to see this offense really take shape.

I don't think its the offense but more the QB in the offense...   The playcalling IMO seems fine dude is just out there making terrible throws/decisions.  I honestly don't think getting a TE back who is a 2nd-year guy that barely played his first season is going to fix that.

3 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

I don't think its the offense but more the QB in the offense...   The playcalling IMO seems fine dude is just out there making terrible throws/decisions.  I honestly don't think getting a TE back who is a 2nd-year guy that barely played his first season is going to fix that.

You'd be surprised. Although still a bit unproven Shaheen showed last year that he was a good blocker in addition to having good hands and speed.  His presence will help open things up more on offense and allow Burton more room to roam in the middle of the field.

No doubt that Mitch needs to improve more than anything, but I'm not convinced like some of you are that he won't improve with more time and game experience. 

18 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Trubisky has rare ability to escape the rush and demonstrated exceptional accuracy and touch in college. He also made very few mistakes/turnovers. That's better than any of the QBs from this year's class showed in college. Baker Mayfield was considered a limited talent, and the Browns still chose him over the other 3 overhyped future busts. John Dorsey knows what he's doing. 

The biggest knock on him was that he took virtually every pass out of the shotgun and only started for a year. He had to be really impressive to scouts to overcome those knocks. 

The notion that he "really" had to overcome playing out of the shotgun is empirically false.  Most of the QBs in the last several years had this same question mark coming out of college.  I believe only Josh Rosen had extensive snaps under center.  If you're going to credit Trubisky for this, you better be willing to credit the others with it as well.  My guess is you're not willing to.  As for his few mistakes/turnovers, that goes back to his play.  He's a very conservative QB.  He doesn't throw a ton of high-risk, high-reward throws whether that be at North Carolina or with the Bears.  He throws a high percentage of his passes to his backs and TEs relative to his peers.  He's a game manager.

You say "weak QB class," but both Watson and Mahomes are doing just fine so far.

In hindsight, yes.  But at the time, there were a TON of question marks surrounding Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes.  Don't let confirmation bias affect your judgment, the 2017 QB class was viewed as SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the 2018 class and I don't think it was even close.

How much talent he has on offense? What talent is that, pray tell?

The Bears are not a very talented offense at all. Most of their skill position guys are run-of-the-mill journeymen-caliber players; the caliber of which you could find on every team in the league. 

Their best talent on offense is probably Tarik Cohen; an elusive little scat back. 

Allen Robinson has size and leaping ability (or did), but he's coming off a torn ACL, and he wasn't particularly fast or explosive to start with. And his big season in Jacksonville looks more like a garbage time-inflated fluke season than anything else. 

Taylor Gabriel? Every team has a Taylor Gabriel.

Trey Burton? That's their backup tight end who is starting because Adam Shaheen is injured.

Anthony Miller? Small and painfully slow. Not nearly as good as he thinks he is. 

Jordan Howard? Very limited back. He gets the job done as far as following the blocking, but he's not very impressive to watch.  

So again, what talent? 

Just a heads up, if you have to mitigate the players around a player to prop another player up, your argument probably is going to lack some validity.  That being said, let's not act like they're devoid of talent.  Are they flush with All-Pro talent?  No, but there's more than enough talent to make Trubisky look good enough.  Last year, the Bears OL ranked 11th by PFF so they're actually a decent OL.  Maybe nothing special, but they're all-around solid.  Allen Robinson is a legit #1 WR if he's healthy, and he's coming back from injury so you're willing to give him a bit of a pass for the rust.  Taylor Gabriel is a solid slot WR, but nothing special.  But Anthony Miller is going to be legit once he gets more reps in.  You don't sign Trey Burton to a 4 year, $32M deal and call him your backup TE.  That's the 8th highest paid TE, there's legitimately no way you can argue he's the "backup" TE.  You don't pay backup TEs $8M/year.  As much as I think Jordan Howard is limited, he's still a good running back.  I don't think he offers enough on 3rd down to move into that elite territory, but I think you could absolutely make the argument he's right on the outside of that.

A lot of his failure to hit things down field is because guys aren't getting open. He could do a better job of throwing people open, but at the same time, Nagy seems to understand that they have a very good defense and is keeping him in "game manager" mode for now. 

If you're missing his downfield throws where he's missing his WR, you're not watching the game.

I feel like one of the most important ways to monitor how well a QB is doing or is going to do is to look at his yards per attempt. 

Trubisky has played the Packers, Seahawks and Cardinals.  The Cardinals are 5th worst.  The Packers are eighth worst.  The Seahawks are 6th best. 

Trubisky's 5.68 yards per attempt is eighth worst in the NFL.  Prescott, Foles, Taylor, Gabbert, Luck and Bradford are the only quarterbacks in the NFL with a lower yards per attempt.  That's four quarterbacks who were backups or who have been benched, one QB with the worst receiving corps in the NFL and Luck, who is coming back from two years of absence due to a shoulder problem. 

If Trubisky doesn't start turning that around this week when he plays the third worst team in yards allowed per attempt (Buccaneers), I'd seriously start worrying if I were a Bears fan. 

Everybody knows that the Bears have a team capable of winning a Super Bowl with moderately competent QB play.  The question has always been whether or not Trubisky is the guy.  So far, he's shown he is not.  Against a GOOD defense, I feel like he'd pull a Cousins versus Bills.  Against three or four consecutive playoff teams, I don't think he can do what it takes. 

Obviously I want to believe this, but the evidence out there strongly implies what I want is what I will get. 

Archived