Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

Trubisky's future is simple. If he cant do it with Nagy, then its hard to see him ever doing it. Its unfair that everyone is comparing the Bears situation to the Rams. McVay helped Goff go from being a bust label to now one of the top best young QBs in the NFL. Colin said that the Bears are the Rams but without an offense. That is so true. Nagy can scheme great things but if the QB cant accurately hit guys on a consistent basis or just flat out looking bad in the pocket, nothing matters. We can call Goff a "system QB" but he still has to go out there and make the right calls to his team at the line. He still has to drop back and make the throws. He is doing such at a high level. Trubisky isnt when it comes to the Bears. Again its unfair but thats the situation he is in now with Nagy and all the pieces that around in place around him on the team. 

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If your gonna box score scout atleast do the math right.

I don't care about rush touchdowns for quarterbacks when evaluating them as passers. Trubisky isn't Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. I highly doubt he's going to be rushing for 6-10 touchdowns a year.

And yes, as a PASSER he's on pace for 16 touchdowns and 16 picks, which is abysmal.

The worst part is watching him, those aren't even misleading numbers.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't care about rush touchdowns for quarterbacks when evaluating them as passers. Trubisky isn't Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. I highly doubt he's going to be rushing for 6-10 touchdowns a year.

And yes, as a PASSER he's on pace for 16 touchdowns and 16 picks, which is abysmal.

Marcus Mariota numbers 

No one is saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for Trubisky to improve. He just hasn't showed me anything thus far this year to suggest that he's going to be a good quarterback, i.e. Matt Ryan/Stafford level. Maybe he will be, but he's going to have to make significant strides, especially when he starts going against good defenses, like the Rams or Vikings twice this year.

If Trubisky is bad, Pace will have crippled a good Bears roster. Another reason why the Mack trade COULD be iffy. If trubisky plays bad this year and handicaps the bears, they will have no way to replace trubisky until 2021. At that point, everyone on their roster will be 3 years older, which means a lot of their good players will be far closer to out of their primes. In addition drafting another rookie means even more growing pains and additional years, meaning their roster will continue to age.

TLDR, this roster is built to win now, but if Trubisky doesn't improve this season and beyond, their roster will waste away for nought.

If the Bears defense wasn't playing so well and keeping the bears in/helping them win games, I guarantee much of their fanbase would be turning on Trubisky right now. Imagine if they lost the Seattle game and were 0-2.

I can't blame Bears fans for being optimistic, but man this gamble better pay off.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

No one is saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for Trubisky to improve. 

Oh...

6 hours ago, El ramster said:

This is the new NFL.. Either you got it or you don’t. They get rid of QBs ASAP. Look at the Browns. Kiser Sosay was cheeks and they knew he wasn’t a franchise QB! Outta here. This isn’t the 90s where a franchise is hostage to a developing QB. It’s either boom or bust. I don’t like Mitch. His game is ugly to me. I respect @Sugashane rebuttal and it might not even be that. My man sounds like me when I would defend Sam Bradford. I’ve seen Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Marc Bulger, Shaun Hill, Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens.. He’s hanging out for hope and I don’t want to sound like a doucheee. I’m just stating that In my eyes Mitch is horrendous. But it’s not my place to tell bear fans that as they’re just hanging on to dear hope and pray he develops. But when Matt Naggy says he’s holding back plays because his Qb is limited! That should raise some eye brows.

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-nfl-draft-busts-2017-10

The version of this article 15 years from now.

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Colin said that the Bears are the Rams but without an offense. That is so true. Nagy can scheme great things but if the QB cant accurately hit guys on a consistent basis or just flat out looking bad in the pocket, nothing matters. We can call Goff a "system QB" but he still has to go out there and make the right calls to his team at the line. He still has to drop back and make the throws. He is doing such at a high level. Trubisky isnt when it comes to the Bears. Again its unfair but thats the situation he is in now with Nagy and all the pieces that around in place around him on the team. 

Umm...yeah.

I can't blame Bears fans for being optimistic, but man this gamble better pay off.

Can't even say I'm truly optimistic, really. Just seems to me that there's a decent chance he's at least above average.

But yeah, if that isn't the case, the Bears will be in a tough situation. 

Trubisky is a project. He has the smallest sample size of the QB's in his class coming out of college, and he is going to need more time than any of those QB's as well. Right now, I don't feel great about his potential. But, I also believe that he's going to take the longest to flourish, if he does at all. I don't anticipate drastic improvement from him this season. This one is going to require patience. With a weak '19 QB draft class around the corner, I think he deserves a third year to prove his worth, and that's when we can truly judge what he's capable of. Dude's still SO raw IMO.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sugarshane was simply saying what his projection/expectation of TOTAL TD' s for Mitch were for the entire season and that he was on pace to meet those expectations and you tried to claim he was wrong--which he was not---you were. Because you are obviously box scouting and failed to realize his rush TD's and now you're trying to go out of your way to defend your reasoning behind being wrong.

Man up. Don't try an change the energy now.

7 hours ago, El ramster said:

This is the new NFL.. Either you got it or you don’t. They get rid of QBs ASAP. Look at the Browns. Kiser Sosay was cheeks and they knew he wasn’t a franchise QB! Outta here. This isn’t the 90s where a franchise is hostage to a developing QB. It’s either boom or bust. I don’t like Mitch. His game is ugly to me. I respect @Sugashane rebuttal and it might not even be that. My man sounds like me when I would defend Sam Bradford. I’ve seen Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Marc Bulger, Shaun Hill, Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens.. He’s hanging out for hope and I don’t want to sound like a doucheee. I’m just stating that In my eyes Mitch is horrendous. But it’s not my place to tell bear fans that as they’re just hanging on to dear hope and pray he develops. But when Matt Naggy says he’s holding back plays because his Qb is limited! That should raise some eye brows.

Shane, Last year rams first 7

games were scoring wise.

46-9 Win 

27-20 Loss

41-39 Win 

35-30 Win 

16-10 Loss (should have been a win if Kupp catches the ball). 

27-17 Win (Jags on the road). 

33-0 win. As you see the 9 TDS in misleading.

The offense was on fire.. Not sure I could say about the curent bears despite having great weapons. 

I really don't think it should raise any eyebrows. Watson threw 1,207 passes in college. Mahomes threw 1,349. Trubisky threw 447. Then last year we had a clueless hobbit calling plays so progression was a no go overall for him last year other than getting used to being under center and just getting use to the size of the smaller windows and increased speed. Even counting all his passes last season he is still about 500 passes behind their attempt totals in just college. 

The Rams offense was absolutely on fire, but I attribute every bit as much of that to Gurley having an MVP season as Goff. That isn't a slight on Goff either, Gurley was just freakishly good. He rushed for over 1300 while Austin and Brown still got a considerable number of carries, and he was the best all around RB in the league by far IMO. Almost 800 yards receiving on just over 60 rec (over 12 YPC is RIDICULOUS for a HB), 19 total TDs, led the team in rec and so on. Brady was great per usual, but Gurley not even getting 10 votes for the MVP award was downright criminal. The 9 TDs isn't misleading, Gurley was dominant so they fed him in the run and pass game.

Gurley was the LT to Rivers, the Terrell Davis to Elway, etc. Goff may someday be able to carry an offense like Brady, Brees,, Rodgers but he isn't close to that yet. To me Gurley was the key cog in that offense last year. Having a complete freak like him made Goff's life much easier, but like you said Goff was the one smart and accurate enough to get the ball to his best playmaker so that can't be faulted of him.

Back to Tru though, right now he is well behind what people want him to be. I get the impatience, but it was pretty clear he was drafted for long-term potential rather than immediate gains. Ignoring that just seems crazy to me from both media and Bears fans in particular. I'm more than willing to give him three years to see how he fares, if he doesn't seem to be worth it then don't pick up the 5th year option and draft a replacement in 2020 with a trade up or in 2021 with the 1st. The Bears don't offer him any loyalty. They invested in him and Nagy to be the guy to mold him (I was still highest on a DeFilippo/Mahomes pairing but liked what Nagy showed and what Tru showed in his brief college stint as well) and his deal shows he is getting those years as his audition for the big deal. If that doesn't work, then move on.

It always amazes me how impatient people can be , especially when it's the QB position. It's almost like most of you are pissed because he's not living up to the Fantasy hype you bought into? What we were sold by most analysts leading up to the season so hey he sucks, he's a bust.

Nevermind the fact he's learning an entirely new offense, a Offense from the Andy Reid tree meaning "not easy" to learn with Nagy's  own twists and adaptations. But hey, he must suck! 

Like most new QB/OC/HC combo's, give them time to gel for God sake. Or at least wait more then two friggin games?

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Sugarshane was simply saying what his projection/expectation of TOTAL TD' s for Mitch were for the entire season and that he was on pace to meet those expectations and you tried to claim he was wrong--which he was not---you were. Because you are obviously box scouting and failed to realize his rush TD's and now you're trying to go out of your way to defend your reasoning behind being wrong.

Man up. Don't try an change the energy now.

Uhh. I'm not box score scouting. His statistics are the least of my concerns when watching him.

I don't need to man up. I misread it, sure, but when you see total touchdowns as a quarterback, you think mainly passing touchdowns.  If you think Trubisky's rush touchdowns are sustainable as 1/3 of his scoring production, then that's your problem, not mine. 

I'll be honest. All I see are fans trying to cope with poor performances. Like I said, the only reason why more people aren't turning on him is that his defense and cast are CARRYING him right now. If the Bears were 0-2 right now, this wouldn't be the case.

Point being that statistically right now, he's a bottom 5 passer in the NFL and watching him only corroborates my point. I'd easily take Flacco over what I've seen from Trubisky so far and this forum knows what I think about Flacco. But sure, I'll man up and admit I misread the post. Doesn't change the foundation of any of my arguments.

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Can't even say I'm truly optimistic, really. Just seems to me that there's a decent chance he's at least above average.

But yeah, if that isn't the case, the Bears will be in a tough situation. 

Based on what exactly? Blind homerism? Above average in the league right now means being better than half the starters in the league right now. Best case he's a year off from that. Worst case, he never gets there.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Back to Tru though, right now he is well behind what people want him to be. I get the impatience, but it was pretty clear he was drafted for long-term potential rather than immediate gains. Ignoring that just seems crazy to me from both media and Bears fans in particular. I'm more than willing to give him three years to see how he fares, if he doesn't seem to be worth it then don't pick up the 5th year option and draft a replacement in 2020 with a trade up or in 2021 with the 1st. The Bears don't offer him any loyalty. They invested in him and Nagy to be the guy to mold him (I was still highest on a DeFilippo/Mahomes pairing but liked what Nagy showed and what Tru showed in his brief college stint as well) and his deal shows he is getting those years as his audition for the big deal. If that doesn't work, then move on.

The problem here though is that Pace is trying to win RIGHT NOW. You don't trade away cost controlled first round picks unless you are trying to win right now. If it takes Trubisky 3 years, the roster will be 3 years older. Most of the Bears players will be pushing 30. Many of their promising youngins will be up for extensions. They will have relinquished the advantages of having talented cost controlled rookies.

What's worse is that they likely won't be able to acquire a qb prospect they like in 2020. If they are really bad in 2020, their 2 2nd round picks likely won't be enough to trade higher than 20 and that would be pushing it, where quality quarterback prospects generally can't be had. Like I mentioned earlier, it's not like that rookie will help them win immediately, even if they acquire their guy in 2020. 

Unless the Bears felt like Trubisky was ready now, or in the next year or so, they shouldn't have made the Mack trade. Their window would be a for after Rodgers begins to decline and after the Vikings core peaks (hopefully for them). Not right now. And surrendering further cost controlled picks handicaps their ability to do so, especially if Trubisky isn't the answer.

People really need to stop evaluating from what they see on a broadcast and reading a box score.  The 2nd half of GB was more about the defense simply running out of gas against a team fueled on emotion.  Yeah Tru missed some throws he should have made but still completed 67% of his passes.  The 2 min drill wasnt good.  The snaps on the 2 min drill also were not good.  Against Seattle Tru had a horrendous second quarter.  The second half he threw in complete passes.  He was seeing the field very well going thru his progressions, finding the open man.  The 2nd half was terrific play calling and a qb who was dialed in on what they wanted to do.  As for the happy feet, I mean hes top 5 right now in rating under pressure, but hey none of that really fits the narrative does it.  Things I want to see improve are manipulating the pocket rather than just escaping.  The clock is messed up right now.  Hes thinking too much, and not trusting his eyes.  He needs to get back to doing what hes done his entire life and just let it rip. 

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

People really need to stop evaluating from what they see on a broadcast and reading a box score.  The 2nd half of GB was more about the defense simply running out of gas against a team fueled on emotion.  Yeah Tru missed some throws he should have made but still completed 67% of his passes.  The 2 min drill wasnt good.  The snaps on the 2 min drill also were not good.  Against Seattle Tru had a horrendous second quarter.  The second half he threw in complete passes.  He was seeing the field very well going thru his progressions, finding the open man.  The 2nd half was terrific play calling and a qb who was dialed in on what they wanted to do.  As for the happy feet, I mean hes top 5 right now in rating under pressure, but hey none of that really fits the narrative does it.  Things I want to see improve are manipulating the pocket rather than just escaping.  The clock is messed up right now.  Hes thinking too much, and not trusting his eyes.  He needs to get back to doing what hes done his entire life and just let it rip. 

I'm really hoping you see the irony in this post.  You talk about people box score scouting, and then provide a box score stat to support your argument.  Here's the stat that you should be concerned about: 5.38 yards per attempt good for 31st out of 32 QBs.  The only QB with a lower YPA?  Sam Bradford.  Either way, stats should confirm what you watch on TV, and that's very much the case.  Of his top 4 targets, two of them are RBs or WRs.  With the exception of Allen Robinson, none of them are averaging more than 8 YPC.  Just for comparison, the Packers top 3 targets are all WR and Jimmy Graham comes in at 4th.  All 3 WRs for the Packers are averaging 11+ YPC.  Let's look at Minnesota.  Their top 2 in terms of targets are WRs followed by Dalvin Cook and Kyle Rudolph.  All four of them are averaging 10+ YPC pretty easily.  What happens when you have a high completion percentage but low YPC?  Your QB is checking the ball down a LOT, which is clearly the case when you watch him.  He doesn't force the ball vertically very well. 

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Based on what exactly? 

Watching him play.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Unless the Bears felt like Trubisky was ready now, or in the next year or so, they shouldn't have made the Mack trade. 

You don't believe they did? 

Archived