Wk 3 postgame: GB 17 • WAS 31

Cakeshoppe

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Looking at how the Matthews hit was called today I am genuinely not sure how a player with a free run at the QB is able to take the QB down without getting flagged.  They almost have no choice but to back off of the "true/square" hit and go for a stand-up/arms only sack.

I agree totally with this.  If Matthews does what he would need to do to avoid the sack, then he likely misses the tackle.  Dumb rule.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Our offensive talent is OKAY. It's not bad, and it's not great: it's serviceable. And they certainly didn't bail out their QB who was having a less-than-stellar game today.

I would say they’re certainly upper 3rd talent wise. Not many teams have an elite LT, a close to elite WR, two pretty good backs and a plus TE.

We are not built from a roster standpoint to have a defence that can win us games. It's all about our offence. We have such good players but we seem too predictable at the moment. 17 rush plays to 45 pass plays. We got a player in Aaron Jones, need to use him more. Our defence will get us a few stops but we need points on most drives and we need to click early. If that doesn't happen we typically lose. I'm not overly worried, yet...Rodgers is playing within himself and we are not in sync. Hopefully as Rodgers gets better we can grow as a team. Adversity is okay early in a season but it needs to be addressed and corrected quickly, which in the past has happened.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:
2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Saying that this team DEFINITELY doesn't have "over the top" talent outside of QB is whining?

Okay I'll go ahead and add that to the list.

Yes

I guess what defines "over the top".

Maybe GB doesn't outside of QB. Then there's a good number of teams that don't on their entire team right now either.

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Looking at how the Matthews hit was called today I am genuinely not sure how a player with a free run at the QB is able to take the QB down without getting flagged.  They almost have no choice but to back off of the "true/square" hit and go for a stand-up/arms only sack.

That's a common misunderstanding. The first thing the refs have been instructed to do is ascertain whether or not the player who has made contact with the quarterback is named Clay Matthews. Per NFL rules, if the player is, in fact, Clay Matthews, all referees have been directed to throw a flag.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I agree totally with this.  If Matthews does what he would need to do to avoid the sack, then he likely misses the tackle.  Dumb rule.

Part of me honestly wonders if Matthews would be better served by just going for a legit knockout hit and live the the ensuing penalty,  His getting flagged either way, so why not level the QB in the process?  Guess that's easy for me to say when I'm not the one paying the fine.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

That's a common misunderstanding. The first thing the refs have been instructed to do is ascertain whether or not the player who has made contact with the quarterback is named Clay Matthews. Per NFL rules, if the player is, in fact, Clay Matthews, all referees have been directed to throw a flag.

More whining

Also I’ve been waiting to say this for a bit to see if anything would change in the off-season playcalling wise, but I’m beyond over this offense under McCarthy. In every aspect too. The formations we run, the clock management or lack thereof. The complete inability to commit to a running attack even when it’s working in the rain. I’m over it and I’m at the point where I very strongly feel we need a change simply for the sake of some fresh air.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Part of me honestly wonders if Matthews would be better served by just going for a legit knockout hit and live the the ensuing penalty,  His getting flagged either way, so why not level the QB in the process?  Guess that's easy for me to say when I'm not the one paying the fine.

I honestly do think it's gonna get to the point where players just level the hell outta QB's since they figure they'll get flagged anyway

6 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Never thought I would ever say this but fire McCarthy today and put the DC in as the interim. McCarthy has lost this team and its past time to move on. 

With the way the defense is playing, you want the DC to be the HC?  I vote No!

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Also I’ve been waiting to say this for a bit to see if anything would change in the off-season playcalling wise, but I’m beyond over this offense under McCarthy. In every aspect too. The formations we run, the clock management or lack thereof. The complete inability to commit to a running attack even when it’s working in the rain. I’m over it and I’m at the point where I very strongly feel we need a change simply for the sake of some fresh air.

Atrophy happens to all coaches. Sometimes you need a different voice. With that said, you're probably stuck with this offense. There isn't time to reinstall a new scheme.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I guess what defines "over the top".

Maybe GB doesn't outside of QB. Then there's a good number of teams that don't on their entire team right now either.

I believe Webster's dictionary defines over the top as an area higher than the highest point of said object.

But seriously, remove QB from the equation and give me some rosters. I bet there are some embarrassing ones that are actually better than the Packers. Furthermore, the ones that aren't are teams that just out-and-out BLOW, and I would hope the Packers aren't on that same level. So there, outside of QB the Packers are probably hovering just north of the "out-and-out BLOW" line.

Archived