Stock Investing

rickyt31

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Also: for all the FOMO people, I'll volunteer my story as one rarely told:

I gambled with some "play" money in cryptos during (and before) the last spike and got sucked into it. I didn't reallocate any of my "actual" retirement money, but it was still a fair chunk of money that I got sucked into. I chose the wrong alt-coin (like the majority of people) and lost 90% of my money.

That coin still hasn't bounced back and likely never will. 

That is almost certainly what will happen to you if you buy crypto now. So use money you can weather losing when you gamble on moonshots.

Agree on the alt coins (like doge which is a legit joke); hard disagree on the broad brush you're painting on crypto in general.

I'm a big believer in BTC and ETH long term. 

I think you were just generally speaking and meant the alt coins, though.

44 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Agree on the alt coins (like doge which is a legit joke); hard disagree on the broad brush you're painting on crypto in general.

i like the space/tech a LOT. I've read a lot of white papers and felt "good" about Ambrosus which is where I stuck my money after selling all my ETH at its previous peak (or near it). But the industry is still very nascent and it's impossible to pick a long-term winner. Some of the more stable ones as you mentioned have a leg-up and people will make money off of them, but I know enough to know I don't enough about who will win long-term and why to bet anything significant on any of them.

I am not saying those experts who understand the space better and know what might win and why - but they are likely already in this space for a decade already and have established positions and aren't learning about it now.

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i like the space/tech a LOT. I've read a lot of white papers and felt "good" about Ambrosus which is where I stuck my money after selling all my ETH at its previous peak (or near it). But the industry is still very nascent and it's impossible to pick a long-term winner. Some of the more stable ones as you mentioned have a leg-up and people will make money off of them, but I know enough to know I don't enough about who will win long-term and why to bet anything significant on any of them.

I am not saying those experts who understand the space better and know what might win and why - but they are likely already in this space for a decade already and have established positions and aren't learning about it now.

That's a completely fair and reasonable position. I'm more excited about the potential future benefits of the blockchain. If anyone wants to learn more about this, I would highly recommend listening to Chris Dixon's interview on invest like the best podcast. It was an awesome listen.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I haven't bought into any crypto, but BTC and ETH are the only two that I'd consider for any long term investment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

two days in a row of green for me! haven't seen that in months. 

I averaged down in SNDL today. I'm really hoping the dems can legalize in the next year.

My problem long term with that is it will become like buying tomatoes. Everyone can grow their own little potted plant and such. Here in VA starting in July you can grow 4 plants, but sales and shops not allowed till 2024 or something. So everyone will already be growing or have friends sharing and whatnot. I say avg down but dont hang on to long.

14 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Apologize if this has been discussed in detail, I didn't read back far.

Not being savvy (or daring) enough to take the jump into actual crypto what are the thoughts on COIN?  

It had that early IPO hype boom right out the gate. And looks to me its still trying to settle in a range. And could do so for another month or so. All the while other companies are developing to get into the crypto market. Like Fidelity, IB and some major banks. Long term I see them in the same way as 90s-early 2000s Sears. In being theyll keep doing what theyre doing now, and these major companies are going to jump up and fly right past them. Because they just arnt run very well now in ways like competitive pricing with such companies like Kracken. So when the real big boys enter the chase. Theyre getting knocked down.

For the stock. Short term hold is violent and unstable at any real range right now. Long term a disaster if looking to sit and hold.

Check out Grayscale if looking for something to do with crypto. They have Bit, Eth, Eth Classic, BitCash, Lite and a combo balance of them in stock form. In the process now of adding other cryptos. In the path month. When Lite dipped hard then went screaming upwards. Their lite stock followed going from 112 to over 300. Now sitting at 218.