Stock Investing

rickyt31

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I work in pharma. My interest in personal finance is a combination of being a nerd, having a mom who listened to Dave Ramsey with me in the car for years on end, and just being a white person with a genetic predisposition for avoiding taxes whenever possible.

Lol, well thanks for the good info.

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why would you want to do both a Roth IRA and a Roth 401k? Most people's income (and therefore expected tax rate) goes down in retirement, so they'd come out ahead with the traditional 401k. Having a roth IRA on top of that might not be optimal, but is good for tax diversification.

Well i did say "or".  Not "and".

Most people's tax rates go down in retirement, but they go down from the end of their career earnings, when they're earning the most.  If you're 25, you're being taxed less now than in retirement in all likelihood.  Maybe it's a different answer if you're 60 and 2 years from retirement.  But i'm not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

Well i did say "or".  Not "and".

Most people's tax rates go down in retirement, but they go down from the end of their career earnings, when they're earning the most.  If you're 25, you're being taxed less now than in retirement in all likelihood.  Maybe it's a different answer if you're 60 and 2 years from retirement.  But i'm not.

That's a good point.

I will 2nd @ramssuperbowl99 3 fund plan. Can't beat it.

Personally my AA is a little different. I'm 32, wife, 2 kids, but am 100% in stocks with a 50/50 domestic/international split. FSTVX & FTIPX

Why no bonds incog? Because my wife will have a state pension, which acts a pseudo huge bond upon retirement, so we are, without trying ~50/50 stock/bond as a household so there's no way I'm going to stick more money into a bond fund for my accounts.

My 401(k) (and former) are both through Fidelity and my Roth IRA is moved there as well. 

We live comfortably below our means and next year I will start maxing out my 401(k) personal contribution (beyond the maxing the employer's match 150% on 8% I currently do).

Here's a good summary of what funds are similar across providers: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

On 10/5/2017 at 8:37 PM, incognito_man said:

I will 2nd @ramssuperbowl99 3 fund plan. Can't beat it.

Personally my AA is a little different. I'm 32, wife, 2 kids, but am 100% in stocks with a 50/50 domestic/international split. FSTVX & FTIPX

Why no bonds incog? Because my wife will have a state pension, which acts a pseudo huge bond upon retirement, so we are, without trying ~50/50 stock/bond as a household so there's no way I'm going to stick more money into a bond fund for my accounts.

My 401(k) (and former) are both through Fidelity and my Roth IRA is moved there as well. 

We live comfortably below our means and next year I will start maxing out my 401(k) personal contribution (beyond the maxing the employer's match 150% on 8% I currently do).

Here's a good summary of what funds are similar across providers: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

Meant to ask this and just never did. Why 1:1 domestic:international?

On 10/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Meant to ask this and just never did. Why 1:1 domestic:international?

The relative percentage of domestic and international stocks is a subject of intense discussion in the forum. One sensible option is to hold domestic and international stocks in the same proportions as they represent in the total world economy. As of October 2014, that would be about 50% U. S. and 50% international. This option is recommended by Burton Malkiel and Charles Ellis

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

Just now, incognito_man said:

My employer has a very generous plan. I think it used to be 150% on 10% but they decreased it to 8% shortly before I started. I'm a fan :)

Yea, my company has always had pretty crappy benefits overall. Used to be 50% on 6%, but with the oil industry struggling hard the past 3 years, they've been trimming cost everywhere they possibly can.

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's a fascinating theory. One thing about it that bears scrutiny is the multinational issue. Equities domiciled internationally can derive the majority of their revenues from domestic markets, and vice versa. Rules of thumb rarely delve that deep and therefore don't get into the country of revenue question.

Conversely, rules of thumb like that prevent people from trying to time domestic/international equity valuations, thereby avoiding negative market timing investor behavior. 

6 hours ago, Iggles said:

It's a fascinating theory. One thing about it that bears scrutiny is the multinational issue. Equities domiciled internationally can derive the majority of their revenues from domestic markets, and vice versa. Rules of thumb rarely delve that deep and therefore don't get into the country of revenue question.

Conversely, rules of thumb like that prevent people from trying to time domestic/international equity valuations, thereby avoiding negative market timing investor behavior. 

yep, i know and recognize I am not smart enough on it to and don't necessarily have the time to commit to it, so I also picked it for simplicity. :)

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

yep, i know and recognize I am not smart enough on it to and don't necessarily have the time to commit to it, so I also picked it for simplicity. :)

It's part of why rules of thumb can work here. You leave something off the table but avoid getting taken under the table. It takes a certain amount of humility to acknowledge that one doesn't have the skill to time the market, but that's imperative if you want to maximize long-term returns without true professional investment expertise and skill.