Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Been dating a girl for a month. We're not serious yet though. Should i still get her something for Valentines Day, even something like a single rose? We're planning to meet Tuesday, not Wednesday (she works at a hospital and we have different work schedules). 

if you're dating exclusively, yes. do you regard her as just a casual thing or would you eventually like to see it progress?

but do something better than a single rose, that's so passe. do something that shows some individual thought on your part and that you recognize her as an individual.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, 49ersfan said:

Been dating a girl for a month. We're not serious yet though. Should i still get her something for Valentines Day, even something like a single rose? We're planning to meet Tuesday, not Wednesday (she works at a hospital and we have different work schedules). 

Doesn't have to be any grand gesture, but something that shows you that you care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Doesn't have to be any grand gesture, but something that shows you that you care.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:43 PM, vike daddy said:

if you're dating exclusively, yes. do you regard her as just a casual thing or would you eventually like to see it progress?

but do something better than a single rose, that's so passe. do something that shows some individual thought on your part and that you recognize her as an individual.

I would like to see it progress, yes. She has a sweet tooth and likes wine....i guess some dessert/pastry with a bottle of wine? Not too grand but shows i care/know what she likes? Thats what im leaning towards. 

Thanks for your replies.

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I would like to see it progress, yes. She has a sweet tooth and likes wine....i guess some dessert/pastry with a bottle of wine?

dress that up a little.

how about a card with some words saying you like her and would like to spend more time with her, shop together for a bottle of wine she likes, and then a dessert date where you go to a nice place late and have a decadent dessert together (don't order separately, shaaaaare something...)

or yeah, you could get her a single rose.

Edited by vike daddy

On 2/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, 49ersfan said:

It depends.

If you’d like to see her after February 14th I recommend at least something small.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:23 AM, Chiefer said:

Why not? Unless you care about that friendship that much. Just prepare that it wont be long term 

Possibly man, that one chicks boyfriend found out about us...and shes still thirsty af at work lmao

Idk why hed be mad at me though. If my girl was cheating on me id be angry at her.

I'm going to be blunt with you- he's mad at you because you're being a ******. You're involved with a girl knowing she has a boyfriend. That's a douchebag move, and some guys are going to take it very personal. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou- Lord knows I've done my dirt when I was younger. I still make mistakes, but there's the answer you're looking for. 

Honestly, you need to get out of that phase of life quickly. It does more self harm than good. I know lust is a powerful feeling, and doing wrong can feel good, but I've seen first hand how guys like you end up when they're entering their thirties. Theyre rarely happy. A lot of them have contracted StDs. You're messing with dirty broads who are getting around more than you'd like to know. The path you're on now is giving you a nice ego stroke and short term pleasure, but you will regret it if you continue on it.

Again,  I'm not talking down to you. I've made about every mistake a man can make in his early 20s. It took a lot of self reflection and honesty to make the needed changes so I didn't end up like a lot of my older friends. Hopefully you can do the same- life's a lot more fulfilling when you're avoiding situations that will bring you into unneeded drama.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, mitty18 said:

Okay so i'm 27, I have a close friend who is 22, she's been a friend for a while, and we dated for a few months on and off about 4 years ago.  No problem.  We discovered that we were just better off as really really close friends, without benefits of course, mutual decision, and nothing sexual happened in the time that we were dating.  Well, for about 3 months now, her MOM, who is 38 ( yes, had her daughter when she was 16), is really coming onto me by sending me SUPER suggestive text messages and pictures.  She never got married after she had her daughter, and has just been in a lot of short relationships.  So she's been a single mom basically since she was 18 and was kicked out of her parents house.

At first I thought the text messages were harmless and she was just ******* with me, and I would just kind of laugh them off over text and what not, but now i'm really starting to wonder if she is coming onto me strong.  I will say, she is an attractive woman...her and her daughter look like they could be maybe 3 years apart, and I think her daughter is smokin' as well.  

There's never been any bad blood between her daughter and I, but I have heard her daughter grumble every once in a while about her mom dating her friends.

Should I date a woman who is 11 years older than me and has a lot of money (even though I'm pretty well-off myself).

Avoid at all cost if you value your friendship with that woman. I can imagine it's enticing as f***, but it ain't worth the **** storm it may cause.

Edited by WizeGuy

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I'm going to be blunt with you- he's mad at you because you're being a ******. You're involved with a girl knowing she has a boyfriend. That's a douchebag move, and some guys are going to take it very personal. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou- Lord knows I've done my dirt when I was younger. I still make mistakes, but there's the answer you're looking for. 

Honestly, you need to get out of that phase of life quickly. It does more self harm than good. I know lust is a powerful feeling, and doing wrong can feel good, but I've seen first hand how guys like you end up when they're entering their thirties. Theyre rarely happy. A lot of them have contracted StDs. You're messing with dirty broads who are getting around more than you'd like to know. The path you're on now is giving you a nice ego stroke and short term pleasure, but you will regret it if you continue on it.

Again,  I'm not talking down to you. I've made about every mistake a man can make in his early 20s. It took a lot of self reflection and honesty to make the needed changes so I didn't end up like a lot of my older friends. Hopefully you can do the same- life's a lot more fulfilling when you're avoiding situations that will bring you into unneeded dra

If you go back to what i originally said the girl told me she was saving up money to move out because her bf cheated on her. Felt it was fair game, if shes actively trying to leave then she might as well be single.

turns out shes a Sloot and is gonna stay with him because theyre in love lol. Lesson learned i dont usually do that sort of thing anyways 

If i got a girl and she cheats on me then im not gonna be mad at the guy. That doesnt make any sense. Im in a relationship with her not the dude. She needs to be the one with faith and morals for the relationship. A sancho is a sancho is a sancho. But they dont get anywhere unless she opens her legs willingly.

Edited by Chiefer

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

If you go back to what i originally said the girl told me she was saving up money to move out because her bf cheated on her. Felt it was fair game, if shes actively trying to leave then she might as well be single.

turns out shes a Sloot and is gonna stay with him because theyre in love lol. Lesson learned i dont usually do that sort of thing anyways 

If i got a girl and she cheats on me then im not gonna be mad at the guy. That doesnt make any sense. Im in a relationship with her not the dude. She needs to be the one with faith and morals for the relationship. A sancho is a sancho is a sancho. But they dont get anywhere unless she opens her legs willingly.

That's why you have to draw the line in the sand.  Nothing can happen until she cuts the tie.  You wasted your time and any feelings you might have caught.  For every "success" story about saving someone from a bad relationship, there's about a million where it ends up blowing up in your face.

That being said, I think if you cheat on someone it goes both ways.  There's blame on both sides.  You pointed out the one side, but the other side is that you expect others to respect your relationship.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's why you have to draw the line in the sand.  Nothing can happen until she cuts the tie.  You wasted your time and any feelings you might have caught.  For every "success" story about saving someone from a bad relationship, there's about a million where it ends up blowing up in your face.

That being said, I think if you cheat on someone it goes both ways.  There's blame on both sides.  You pointed out the one side, but the other side is that you expect others to respect your relationship.

This is the first and probably last time I'm gonna do it. There's always another chick out there so I'm not to worried about feelings.

If I'm with a girl i honestly don't expect others to respect our relationship. Like at all. I'm no honorable Knight, but I expect every other man to be one when I'm with a chick? Yeah right. Its up to yourself and yoursignificant other to be loyal, to resist those primal animal urges that compel us to breed and procreate. I'm not out there expecting other men to not be dogs.

Edited by Chiefer

Soooo I’m on the other side of this one.  When I was single it wasn’t my job to worry about some other dude’s relationship, nor is it some other dude's job to worry about my marriage now.

If the person I’m with cheats on me, it’s her fault, or partly both of our faults, but not some random bro trying to do what bros do.

Dudes would be better off, and their relationships healthier, if they approached every day as though some dude was trying to smash their significant other and they needed to actually work at making them happy and taking care of THEIR business at home.

Bottom line, if you have a good lady and treat her right, there’s no need to worry about the other dudes. If you do and she still cheats, you got yourself a trollop, ish happens.  If you think some bro who doesn’t know you from Adam should respect anything about you, you might be disappointed someday.

Again, just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chiefer said:

This is the first and probably last time I'm gonna do it. There's always another chick out there so I'm not to worried about feelings.

If I'm with a girl i honestly don't expect others to respect our relationship. Like at all. I'm no honorable Knight, but I expect every other man to be one when I'm with a chick? Yeah right. Its up to yourself and yoursignificant other to be loyal, to resist those primal animal urges that compel us to breed and procreate. I'm not out there expecting other men to not be dogs.

I feel the same way, but not everyone is going to agree. Not understanding why a man would be pissed at you for dicking his girlfriend is pretty naive, tbh. 

The majority of blame lies with the cheater. They’re the one that is directly responsible for the relationship. But the third party deserves blame as well, assuming they know that the initial relationship exists.

One may not hold responsibility for another’s happiness, but that doesn’t mean that should actively engage in something that harms them in some manner. Our social contract dictates that we treat others with respect in some manner.

I’m not going to murder you for your stereo. I’m not going to steal from your fridge. I’m not going to drive through a puddle that’s going to soak you as you stand by the side of the street. I’m not going to walk through you because you’re standing on the sidewalk. I’m not going to push you down the stairs. I’m not going to lie to make you feel bad. I don’t expect that everyone is going to follow the social contract we have to the letter, but I’m sure going to be upset when someone does something that doesn’t fit with basic levels of decency.