Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Do it or don’t, but telling someone that “someday I’m going to do something” doesn’t mean much to many people, specifically people who have “done it”.

This isn’t what it necessarily means though.

Also kinda weird you’d make that distinction when proposals are such a big deal, and many couples spend years before they bed down when they’re actually getting married.

11 minutes ago, iPwn said:

This isn’t what it necessarily means though.

Also kinda weird you’d make that distinction when proposals are such a big deal, and many couples spend years before they bed down when they’re actually getting married.

By “done it” I meant get married, sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

The idea of a “promise ring” already exists, it’s an engagement ring for those who are serious about doing so. 

I view a promise ring as a symbol of a less sincere version of the same thing, usually done by people who are very young. The junior varsity version of an actual thing.

“I love you and plan to marry you (unless something better comes up) but I don’t want to actually commit to the process in the traditional/formal manner. Someday I’ll commit ‘for real’ (but not now), so here, have this in the meantime.”

Again JMHO

• Like 2

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

If we’re being honest, most of the traditional gestures are pointless though. Engagement rings? Wedding rings? Flowers? They’re all dumb. Even marriage itself is (tax benefits aside) a pointless gesture that doesn’t actually mean anything. The only real difference between any of these things and other random nonsense is that our culture has normalized some gestures and not others.

I mean, I've never been big on flowers or cards but if my SO cares about them then I'll do them.  I mean, I've told my parents that I don't want any cards or anything like that on my birthday.  I guess I've always felt that promise rings tend to get lost after you move onto engagement rings.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

By “done it” I meant get married, sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

The idea of a “promise ring” already exists, it’s an engagement ring for those who are serious about doing so. 

I view a promise ring as a symbol of a less sincere version of the same thing, usually done by people who are very young. The junior varsity version of an actual thing.

“I love you and plan to marry you (unless something better comes up) but I don’t want to actually commit to the process in the traditional/formal manner. Someday I’ll commit ‘for real’ (but not now), so here, have this in the meantime.”

Again JMHO

Okay. I think I see the disconnect here.

A promise ring isn’t a “promise to marry you one day” ring. It’s kinda dependent on the people, what they’re promising. It’s a way for two people to symbolize a certain stage in their relationship that they feel is important in some way. It’s really not that much different from giving a necklace on your first dating anniversary or something and using that as a symbolic gesture of where you are at the moment.

I get how if you’re thinking it’s a way to blow off a commitment that isn’t actually a commitment, it could be weird. But that’s not what it’s necessarily is for. It can be used that way, but isn’t always. 

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

A promise ring isn’t a “promise to marry you one day” ring. It’s kinda dependent on the people, what they’re promising. It’s a way for two people to symbolize a certain stage in their relationship that they feel is important in some way. It’s really not that much different from giving a necklace on your first dating anniversary or something and using that as a symbolic gesture of where you are at the moment.

I get how if you’re thinking it’s a way to blow off a commitment that isn’t actually a commitment, it could be weird. But that’s not what it’s necessarily is for. It can be used that way, but isn’t always. 

That’s fair, I guess that’s just how I’ve always viewed it.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, iPwn said:

A promise ring is like the franchise tag. The person receiving it is happy at first but then later realizes you aren't willing to commit to them long-term

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, EliteTexan80 said:
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, MathMan said:

and it especially gets complicated with Cousins involved

Then when you toss in a home wrecker like Alex Smith, it's gets totally messy

nah, I heard that Smith has a noodle.