Texans 6 game win streak

Texansfan713

I want to hear from opposing team's fans on what to make of the current WS the Texans are on.  Some Texans fans think they are a product of an easy schedule and had some luck involved (I.E. McManis missed FG yesterday, and Reich giving the Texans a win).  Other Texans fans think the team might be on to something.  Just curious to see people's opinions.

They have for sure benefited from a weak schedule, but I don't think that should make people dismiss them.  You still gotta win the games.  Even when they were 0-3, they put up a fight against the Patriots.  

I could see them making some noise in the postseason.  Watson is a playmaker with two quality receivers and that defense can get after the QB.  I wouldn't predict them to go far, mainly because that sooner or later, I reckon that offensive line is going to screw them.

I think it's a mix of an easy schedule and the Texans simply not being as bad as they looked during the first few games of the season. I mean, they've got talent on their team, but I still think BOB is a terrible head coach. And they haven't beaten any team of significance during their winning streak - they've beaten bad to mediocre at best teams. It looks like they'll win the division, but I highly doubt they make any noise in the playoffs.

Doesn't seem to be the most balanced roster, but they have some seriously elite, game changing talents, the kind some teams would kill to have one of. They should feast on an easy schedule the rest of the way, will be interesting to see their quality of depth down the stretch. 

I think they are a team with a lot of good players, not great coaching and they have not the toughest schedule the last 6 (and the fact they lost to the Giants is a gleaming scarlet L on them)

But they have the players to win any game...so hard to say it's not for real entirely.

The most balanced team in AFC south reliable defense but not really close to the Pats, Cheifs, Chargers or Steelers. A win in the NFL is hard but boy they benefited on some dumb coaching decisions.

Cowboys( not going for it on 4th and 1 on 50 in OT when you have Zeke.) Colts( Going for it on their side of the field in OT where a tie seemed like the most likely scenario). Broncos( Not calling another quick passing play to get closer and making it more easier for the kicker).

It's a bit of everything:

- An incredibly easy schedule (even with the losing streak, New England is the only team with a winning record so far).

- It's bad decisions by some bad HCs (Frank Reich and Jason Garrett going hyper aggressive and hyper conservative in OT losses, every major decision by Vance Joseph yesterday). It's also some really bad plays by really bad players (Nathan Peterman, Brock Osweiler, Blake Bortles). 

- There's some luck to it as well. (McManus and the missed 51 yard FG, Peterman pick six, Clowney FR in the end zone during the Colts game... those aren't anything more than dumb luck). 

This being said - there is something about being able to rally after an 0-3 start. We're watching the Jaguars implode in spectacular fashion right now, we're seeing Arizona puttering around with no real desire to win, we're watching fire sales with NYG and Oakland, we're seeing teams like Buffalo trudging along to a top 5 pick.

Houston was in a similar situation and the team could have folded and started to vet out potential HC candidates while debating Greedy Williams or Greg Little/Jonah Williams. Instead, the team hunkered down and got to work, and - six games later - they are atop the AFCS going into the bye week with a very winnable schedule down the stretch. As crazy as it sounds, 12-4 is very much a possibility. Coaching might be a continued issue, but the roster is going to be competitive week in and week out.

There's something to be said about a team showing this sort of resiliency when everything looks hopeless.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Doesn't seem to be the most balanced roster, but they have some seriously elite, game changing talents, the kind some teams would kill to have one of. They should feast on an easy schedule the rest of the way, will be interesting to see their quality of depth down the stretch. 

I agree with this - the roster overall isn't special, but very top heavy:

- Watt and Clowney are both in the DPOY/best defensive player in football conversation. 

- Watson is finding his groove and is in that Wentz/Goff/Mahomes category of "next big thing at QB" discussion.

- DeAndre Hopkins has a legitimate claim as the #1 WR in the league (and may be the unquestioned #2 ahead of Julio Jones nowadays). 

- Demaryius Thomas is on the back nine of his career, but is probably one of the top "#2 WRs" in the league while in Houston.

- Tyrann Mathieu is playing like a top 5 S over the past few games, and he might be the 2nd best S on the team behind Kareem Jackson (who has turned into a DEADLY S). 

Outside of those names? You have above average guys with Bernardrick McKinney, DJ Reader, Whitney Mercilius and Zach Cunningham. You have injured guys like Jonathan Joseph and Will Fuller. You have promising rookies in Jordan Thomas, Keke Coutee and Justin Reid. 

Then you have a mountain of garbage. The entire OL. The guys opposite Watt (Christian Covington, Angelo Blackson, Brandon Dunn). Depth at all LB spots. Aaron Colvin, Kevin Johnson, Jonathan Bademosi (who is a beast on ST) and some guy named Jamerson. Andre Hal (who is recovering from cancer, so it's a miracle he's even playing this season). Mike Tyson (not THAT Mike Tyson). The entire OL (yes, they are that bad so I have to say it twice).

Archived