Dez Bryant to New Orleans Saints

Chargers

I don't see this being a good fit.  He's struggled with route-running and separation, and even with his talent isn't much more than a possession receiver who is prone to dropping passes.  Nothing wrong with that on a different team with receivers that lack size, but is that the kind of player you want across from Michael Thomas?  Thomas can make plays deep, but his bread and butter is as that clutch underneath and intermediate receiver.  I could see this backfiring, especially in an offense reliant on timing which isn't Bryant's strength.  That isn't even mentioning his attitude - he's not gonna come in and destroy the locker-room or anything like that, but he doesn't seem like someone who will be content not getting targets.

I will say this makes the Saints offense even more difficult to stop in the red-zone.  Bryant still has a lot of value there. 

17 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I will say this makes the Saints offense even more difficult to stop in the red-zone.  Bryant still has a lot of value there. 

This people are over thinking this IMO. We're talking about Drew Brees Throwing him the ball NOT Dak Prescott!!! One more weapon Defenses have to account for. If he does sign, This SUCKS for the rest of the NFC!!!!!

He couldn't wait 2 more weeks??? Bastard!

He won't be expected to be THE guy in our offense. He will probably slide in as the #2 or #3 receiver. As long as he is an upgrade from Cam Meredith (who hasn't done much of anything this year) then I think this could be a good move. 

I'll be keeping my expectations low, and my hopes high. :D

46 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don't see this being a good fit.  He's struggled with route-running and separation, and even with his talent isn't much more than a possession receiver who is prone to dropping passes.  Nothing wrong with that on a different team with receivers that lack size, but is that the kind of player you want across from Michael Thomas?  Thomas can make plays deep, but his bread and butter is as that clutch underneath and intermediate receiver.  I could see this backfiring, especially in an offense reliant on timing which isn't Bryant's strength.  That isn't even mentioning his attitude - he's not gonna come in and destroy the locker-room or anything like that, but he doesn't seem like someone who will be content not getting targets.

I think it's more of a response by the Saints to being forced to put Ted Ginn on IR.  It's true that Bryant isn't the same type of receiver as Ginn, which is a burner, but Bryant was without a doubt the best the Saints were going to get on the open market at this point in time in the season.  If only he played defense too because thats where the Saints really need help at

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

The last time they signed a guy known for dropping passes (Ginn), he had one of the lowest drop rates once joining. 

I think it's a pretty low risk, medium to high reward move. If he's cooked then you can just cut him.

Good move for the Saints, low risk, adding to the arsenal. Easy cut if things get weird. I really thought he'd be joining the Patriots, just as a low risk high reward move for 6 weeks/playoffs. Instead it's the Saints who look like a juggernaut in the NFC. 

Very low risk move by the Saints that should drastically improve their red zone offense where currently teams are doubling Michael Thomas.  Brees is a much better passer than anything Bryant has ever worked with and combined with the Saints offense he'll be put in some great positions to shine once again.  I don't think his personality will be much of an issue considering the veteran experience we have in our locker room that will put him in his place where in Dallas he was the veteran guy, if he does start to become a distraction though I'm sure the Saints will just cut him without a second thought.

Archived