Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

EDC trying to package Hurst so that he wouldn't have to give up additional draft picks feels extremely believable to me actually. 

Giving up on a 1. round so quickly, especially a guy who play 70% of offensive snaps and we have only 3 tight ends is what makes me believe this wasn't the actual offer. I migth be wrong

8 minutes ago, Danand said:

Giving up on a 1. round so quickly, especially a guy who play 70% of offensive snaps and we have only 3 tight ends is what makes me believe this wasn't the actual offer. I migth be wrong

The 1st round designation is a sunk cost at this point but if anything it makes him more valuable as a trade asset if we're able to get teams thinking about him through that lens. It was a pick from before EDC became GM and very much fits the profile of an Ozzie pick as opposed to one EDC was pushing for (IIRC 'his' guy was DJ Moore) which might make him more likely to cut and run if he can get the right offer. Ultimately bumping Boyle up in the depth chart and either bringing in a FA or giving more snaps to Ricard would be a very small price to pay for potentially getting Ramsey so I can't see that actually being the hangup here. If EDC actually wasn't willing to make that deal because we need to keep our 2nd best TE then he's nuts. 

• Like 2

I think if he was a UFA, Ramsey would've chosen us. This isn't free agency though. Our draft picks are going to be towards the bottom of the round and Jacksonville isn't going to get what they're looking for from anyone, especially us.

I mean let's look at this realistically. If the Eagles offered us a late 1st, a late 2nd, and Dallas Goedert for Marlon Humphrey..we'd spit in their F&%#ing face. If the Patriots or Chiefs traded us two 1st Round Picks for Marlon Humphrey, would you really feel like our franchise is in a better place because of the deal? Obviously not.

People put too low a value on draft picks in general, but at the same time overvalue 1st Round Picks in many ways. There is nothing more valuable than a young All-Pro player at a premier position(QB,OT,CB,PR,DIPR)- if you're trying to build a championship club. There's a reason you don't see players like Ramsey on the block very often, because it's stupid/insane to trade them. 

Jacksonville doesn't want this trade because they know they aren't going to get compensation back that will match their loss. This is all Ramsey. And unless he really starts making an issue beyond yelling at their dopey coach and deleting instagram pics, he won't be going anywhere. I thought the Jags would be more vulnerable than they are and would neglect the foundational value of either Yanny or Ramsey. Doesn't look like it. Probably time for Raven fans to move on. 

• Like 1

I think the trade is final tbh.

I think we traded for Ramsey with the aforementioned package.

I think the only thing that’s keep it from being announced is the fact that the organization doesn’t want any distractions for the team trying to win such a big game against a huge opponent. We can’t play Ramsey in this game but can play Hurst. And if Andrews gets doubled or Brown gets doubled or both, Hurst could be a key contributor for winning this game.

Announcing a trade now would be asinine. What strategic benefit would it provide for us to do so? None. It also affords the front office and Ramsey’s agent additional time to work out an extension before announcing the trade details on what I would imagine to be Monday morning via a press conference. Allow Hurst the formality of traveling back and hearing the news from the horses mouth Sunday evening... which is when we might hear the news prematurely break.

For Hurst, he’s from Jacksonville, FL and there’s a chance he was a fan growing up. If not, he still gets to play at home close to family. He gets an opportunity to thrive within an offense as a primary target like he could never be here with Andrews, Boyle, and Ricard stealing opportunities. This gives Hurst his best chance at making money on his second deal if he can crush it in Jacksonville. Which at his advanced age for a sophomore TE will be crucial. His second deal might be his last and thus getting a huge deal will be important. He was a great Raven, a great teammate for the Ravens unit , a deligent worker willing to do the dirty work that not many top picks would entertain, and I wish him nothing but the best and I’m sure he would’ve been a pivotal part of our football team going forward if this opportunity hadn’t presented itself.

Why am I speaking in such past tense? Because a) In Sales we’re told to assume the sale, thus I’m assuming this to be true and b) like I said, I got the feeling that this is a done deal.

I can’t see this organization having had extreme interest in Ramsey via the draft, getting involved in this deal, and then not making it happen. I can’t see the Jax situation being salvageable despite hopes of those in Jacksonville.

The price seems a little rich to me, I would love to get an additional mid round pick back at least (2020 4th), but all in all you can’t put a true value on an All Pro shutdown CB. Ramsey is that and one could even ultimately say this value was a steal in our favor. We will see....

• Like 2