Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Still got Stanley though, so it worked out regardless. 

I mean yeah. Stanley’s going to be a great LT. I just don’t think an individual offensive lineman is going to impact a game the way any of those 3 can. Although I’m not disappointed not to have another star RB involved in a domestic violence incident 

54 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I mean yeah. Stanley’s going to be a great LT. I just don’t think an individual offensive lineman is going to impact a game the way any of those 3 can. Although I’m not disappointed not to have another star RB involved in a domestic violence incident 

But for the foundation of a good offensive line you need individual linemen that are actually really good. I don't think a "good" unit exists without some talent that's at the top of the league. 

Not saying I wouldn't have loved Ramsey or Bosa, because they were definitely ahead of Stanley on my list (was still high on Ronnie though!), but at this point I'm not sure the Ravens lost on this one. Especially given what the cornerback and pass-rusher spots look like for them right now. If only Pees could get Williams and Bowser in the fold... but hey, they have athleticism. That's doesn't fly in Dean's system.

2 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

cmon guys, still arguing the Stanley pick?

where would we be now with even less offensie talent, the oline in total dispense, but hey, we'd have another talented cb or pas rusher, yay.

the D is clearly not the problem right now so just get over it.

I had a random thought. Hence the random thought thread.

And at that time our secondary was a mess

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I had a random thought. Hence the random thought thread.

And at that time our secondary was a mess

Bosa, Ramsey and Elliot have been elite players at their position from day 1. Ramsey might be in contention to be the best at his position in the league. I referred to the positional value, and few in here if any love fat olines with wet saggy muddy pants that creep down and show the crack of glory, but when drafting that high, you want to the elite talent, pro bowler etc.

Had Stanley been in the Joe Thomas league, we wouldn't question the pick, but he has already missed quite a lot of games and had his ups and downs. Future does look bright for him though.

16 hours ago, Danand said:

Bosa, Ramsey and Elliot have been elite players at their position from day 1. Ramsey might be in contention to be the best at his position in the league. I referred to the positional value, and few in here if any love fat olines with wet saggy muddy pants that creep down and show the crack of glory, but when drafting that high, you want to the elite talent, pro bowler etc.

Had Stanley been in the Joe Thomas league, we wouldn't question the pick, but he has already missed quite a lot of games and had his ups and downs. Future does look bright for him though.

IDK if I'd say he's really had too many downs, other than the games missed. Looks like a franchise LT when he plays.

The Stanley pick doesn't really register for me in terms of draft regrets. Yes, Ramsey and Bosa are elite, but it's not even like we passed on them, we just didn't move up for them. I'll take Stanley over Elliot.

20 hours ago, Danand said:

so tell me how many LTs there are in the Joe Thomas league, and if they looked the part in their second season already? some guys and their expectations, geez.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

so tell me how many LTs there are in the Joe Thomas league, and if they looked the part in their second season already? some guys and their expectations, geez.

I don't think you understood my point.

So far, Ramsey and Bosa have been better than Stanley. But as long as Stanley doesn't have an injury riddled career and he maintains his current level and hopefully get better, we can't be upset about the pick. Atleast I am not.

31 minutes ago, Danand said:

This basically confirms, what we all thought.

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?159458-All-22-Camera-on-Offense/

I would like another main source, but when it backs what Pitta already said (and then he made an effort to hide/diminish what he said), then I think there is much to it.

How is it even possible to design such a basic offense and expect nothing else than >5 yards pr attempt? 

This seems like a 1990-offense only fit for Derrick Mason’s elite stop-route. No wonder Perriman (or any other reciever) can produce anything close to their potential. 

I’m the biggest Harbaugh supporter but how can he allow such a basic offense to be implemented?

1 hour ago, Rein said:

How is it even possible to design such a basic offense and expect nothing else than >5 yards pr attempt? 

This seems like a 1990-offense only fit for Derrick Mason’s elite stop-route. No wonder Perriman (or any other reciever) can produce anything close to their potential. 

I’m the biggest Harbaugh supporter but how can he allow such a basic offense to be implemented?

My guess is, it is a bit more complicated. Perriman is a great example of a receiver, who just doesn't fit the role he was drafted for. His difficulties seperating and fighting through contact to get a release means, that he never manages to take the top off the defense and go deep. So they can double Wallace deep and have a nickelback on Maclin along with some zone coverage.

Then theres a tight end and a runningback as receiving options, and we don't have excellent tight ends but players who are solid. So basically, we have 3 cornerbacks and a safety assigned to our receiving options and a linebacker/safety assigned to our tight end. 

That leaves 4-6 players to rush Flacco/drop into coverage and sit and wait for the dump offs and screen passes.

Neither Wallace or Perriman/Moore can work the Mason route very well, and we don't have a Boldin option. This leaves less room for Maclin in the Steve Smith role, and we don't have the same time for plays to get our tight ends further down the field, because flacco has 2,21 seconds to throw the ball against a 4-5 man rush.

If Flacco anticipated throws better, recognized blitzes better and didn't miss the few opportunities with breakdowns in coverage (3 examples in the article link), then it would look slightly better, but my guess is we would still be a struggling passing defense.

The stuff we get off of playaction is petrid.