Week 11 GDT: GB @ Seattle TreeSloths

incognito_man

8 hours ago, chucknorris101 said:

Either McCarthy coached Aaron out of seeing check downs or he has invented some kind of absurdly good camouflage 

This is something that Rodgers:

1. Has never been good at. Off platform deliveries over linemen's head has continuously proven difficult. More so on screens than checkdowns, but still.
2. He said in an interview a while back when discussing cheap yards off constant checkdowns something of this nature "That's not real football". With him, you'll live by the sword of the big play, which makes him great. But you'll also die by the sword of the big play.
3. It's disheartening to see the checkdown work so well when we are depleted and it's the only resort. See two years ago when Ty stepped in at RB and our WRs weren't healthy. Or before the end of the first half today. Then it's abandoned. I know that would diminish a lot of what makes Rodgers great, but some QBs make a great resume off extending  drives and utilizing their RBs this way. Like, GOAT worthy QBs.

2 minutes ago, Packers Select said:

1. Has never been good at. Off platform deliveries over lineman's head has continuously proven difficult. More so on screens than checkdowns, but still.
2. He said in an interview a while back when discussing cheap yards off constant checkdowns something of this nature "That's not real football". With him, you'll live by the sword of the big play, which makes him great. But you'll also die by the sword of the big play.
3. It's disheartening to see the checkdown work so well when we are depleted and it's the only resort. See two years ago when Ty stepped in at RB and our WRs weren't healthy. Or before the end of the first half today. Then it's abandoned. I know that would diminish a lot of what makes Rodgers great, but some QBs make a great resume off extending  drives and utilizing their RBs this way. Like, GOAT worthy QBs.

2. Did he really admit that? That is exactly how he plays and what I have sort of secretly believed his take to be, so if he said it I'd be curious to confirm my thoughts :)

The path to where the Packers are now is long and complex. There were many turns and dips from being a dominant team to mediocre. One factor was talent erosion. Blame that on bad drafting by TT or poor draft position or both, but talent has been eroding for some time. The receiver corps was neglected to draft CBs and DLs that didn't hit. Tramone Williams and Charles Woodson got old. Sam Shields and Nick Collins got injured. Draft picks didn't hit and TT had to go back to drafting DBs over and over while talent at other positions eroded. Jordy got old, JJ got old. Both our guards got old. Poor use of free agency was also a factor. Murphy made the right call replacing TT. Whatever the reason, TT's drafting success declined and led to eroded talent. Example: We're starting two rookie WRs and two FA guards. And lots of FAs playing in the secondary, despite drafting many DBs. 

Coaching has also been a problem. Capers, Slocum, and now Zook were kept too long. MM's offense seems to be unbalanced towards the passing game. His game management skills are poor. Time outs are misused. The running game is abandoned at strange times. 

Murphy now has to make the call on McCarthy. Keep him or replace him? Maybe three years in the wilderness like the Saints will provide the time to rebuild the roster and make another super bowl run. Or bring in  anew coach and try to kick-start the team next year. One thing for sure, after all these years McCarthy is what he is. He isn't going to get better. 

Just now, Sasquatch said:

If and when Mac schemes Jones like Kamara, Gurley, and La’veon Bell, our offense could be rocking and rolling.

Gonna be tough to get him that involved in the passing game when Rodgers rarely looks his way for easy completions. Always has his eyes downfield and won't settle for the underneath stuff until the last possible second when it ends up being merely a 1-2 yard gain rather than easy several+ yards if he hits him immediately

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Gonna be tough to get him that involved in the passing game when Rodgers rarely looks his way for easy completions. Always has his eyes downfield and won't settle for the underneath stuff until the last possible second when it ends up being merely a 1-2 yard gain rather than easy several+ yards if he hits him immediately

Overall, we’re not efficient using the talent we have.  In a perfect world where Mac is bold and Rodgers listens, with the players we have, we could great!

Just now, incognito_man said:

2. Did he really admit that? That is exactly how he plays and what I have sort of secretly believed his take to be, so if he said it I'd be curious to confirm my thoughts :)

Yes, I remember recalling that from an interview, either on the weekly show he used host or a podcast. While what he said might not have been exact, it's not too far off my paraphrase.

I always think of this each time he's sacked on third down. Rarely is there not a safety valve built into it, but Rodgers lives for the big play. Again, it's what makes him great. Just sucks that the "Crap, you take it" throw is rarely in his arsenal.

Just wish it was more common, because when he utilizes it....ala James White style...the offense hums down the field.

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yup. He's avoidimg checkdowns while Mac avoids the 3 step WR game other than waste of time bubble screens as well as the ground game.

Embarrassing how those two took an offense on pace for 42 points and 500+ yards (that's with a missed FG and an awful ref call) and gained 3 first downs in the 2nd half. Can we just fire them both?

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mac literally did the same thing to Favre. Kubiak got Manning into his system. Belicheck hates Brady deep down I believe lol. You can't get to the point where Mac and Aaron are. Aaron needs to be fixed and Mac clearly isn't the guy.

You're absolutely right about Aaron not having much say though. Just like Mac was Ted's call, Gute needs to pick his guy.

Yeah we just have to look at this realistically. Rodgers is going no where for a long time, so what do they do? Keep trying the same thing with McCarthy until Rodgers figures his funk out? or take a chance and get a fresh new coach, new scheme, to flip the script and to try to get this team on the right track. At this point I just want change, I don't even mind McCarthy as a football coach, but obviously it's not working out with the combination of him and Rodgers. 

10 minutes ago, Packers Select said:

1. Has never been good at. Off platform deliveries over lineman's head has continuously proven difficult. More so on screens than checkdowns, but still.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

1 minute ago, Packers Select said:

Yes, I remember recalling that from an interview, either on the weekly show he used host or a podcast. While what he said might not have been exact, it's not too far off my paraphrase.

I always think of this each time he's sacked on third down. Rarely is there not a safety valve built into it, but Rodgers lives for the big play. Again, it's what makes him great. Just sucks that the "Crap, you take it" throw is rarely in his arsenal.

Just wish it was more common, because when he utilizes it....ala James White style...the offense hums down the field.

That also could stem from the MM theory and mantra of chunk yardage plays is a key in scoring points in the NFL.  Maybe some of that has been drilled into him in the earlier years and it has worked in the past to the tune of a Super Bowl title, 15-1 record and some MVP's.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The path to where the Packers are now is long and complex. There were many turns and dips from being a dominant team to mediocre. One factor was talent erosion. Blame that on bad drafting by TT or poor draft position or both, but talent has been eroding for some time.

There has long been a narrative on this board that Seahawks GM John Schneider has been horrible at his job since the Seahawks went to back to back Super Bowls in 2013 and 2014.

That chatter reached a crescendo last offseason when the Pack was looking to hire a new GM.

I happen to agree Schneider has been pretty bad over the past several years.

However, despite Schneider's awful work and the tremendous turnover of the Seattle roster (Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Richard Sherman, Cam Chancellor) and an injured Earl Thomas, the 5-5 Seahawks just beat the 4-5-1 Packers.

Schneider is not the only GM whose poor decisions have eroded the talent on his roster.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Overall, we’re not efficient using the talent we have.  In a perfect world where Mac is bold and Rodgers listens, with the players we have, we could great!

We have some great players, but the talent is spotty. The IOL is weak and has trouble holding the pocket. Too much reliance on rookie WRs. A few mistakes in big games like this are the difference between winning and losing. There's little depth on the DL and LB is a mess. Please see my longer post above.

Archived