2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Excerpt from PackersWire:

Credit the Packers for taking smart, calculated risks.

Za’Darius Smith was a rotational player in Baltimore and didn’t have his breakout season until last year, but he’s only 26 and continues to improve as a rusher, and his versatility to rush from the edge and the interior is an ideal fit for Mike Pettine’s scheme. He was dynamite for the Ravens on third down, plays hard every snap and has only missed six games in four years.

Preston Smith checks all of the same boxes. He’s only 26 years old, and while the stats say he only produced four sacks last season and only 24 in four years, the stats also say that he created over 50 pressures in 2018 and finished the year with the fourth-highest pressure rate among full-time edge rushers. He’s rock solid against the run and capable of following Za’Darius Smith inside as an interior rusher. He’s also one of the most reliable players in football, having played in all 64 games since 2015.

Adrian Amos flew under the radar in Chicago but he quietly developed into one of the most consistent safeties in football. He received top-10 safety grades at Pro Football Focus each of the last two seasons, and while he lacks a high volume of big plays, he’s one of the best at preventing them, and that has huge value. The 25-year-old is comfortable handling the deep half of the field as a free safety or playing down in the box, giving him interchangeable abilities for Pettine. And he’s also only missed four games to injury in four seasons. The Packers know exactly the kind of player they’re getting in Amos, who will be a huge and immediate upgrade at safety.

Billy Turner is more of a wildcard, given the tumultuous journey he’s traveled since entering the NFL as a third-round pick in 2014. Still, he’s only 27 years old and coming off his best season. He played in all 16 games and made 11 starts for the Broncos offensive line, which paved the way for Pro Bowl running back Phillip Lindsay. Turner also has experience at left tackle, left guard, right guard and right tackle, and his athleticism and awareness on the move should be a nice fit with Matt LaFleur’s zone-blocking scheme. His arrow is pointed up, and he’ll get every opportunity to win the job at right guard.

Another important factor to consider here: The Packers spent money to address need positions. Edge rusher, safety and right guard might have ranked 1-2-3 on the team’s wish list this offseason. The Packers found potential answers at all three and took serious pressure off of Gutekunst to produce a million answers through the draft. He can now sit back and draft purely for value with his 10 picks in April.

On a completely separate side note......

We just picked up a few guys that have remarkable endurance records. They stay on the field. Now - if they come to GB and suddenly suffer from "the usual" hamstring, groin, etc strains.......we'll KNOW we're either a jinxed team or there is in fact something in the water.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Jets deal with Bell is 4 years, $52.5m.  So if he had played on the tag last year then took this deal he would have made $67.5m over 5 years.

Steelers offer that he turned down last year?  5 years, $70m.

Bell done goofed.

He got his 35 guaranteed instead of the 10? PIT offered. There's a chance he knows something the Jets don't.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Highest I'd go is 2 for 8. 4 per.

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

For an outside team, I'd be willing to pay 8M for clay on a 1 year deal, ideally 2/15 with 8M gtd.  He can play 30-40% of snaps and be effective.

2 for 10, move him inside and have him as a depth/"in case of emergency break glass" edge rusher. 

47 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

He got his 35 guaranteed instead of the 10? PIT offered. There's a chance he knows something the Jets don't.

I don’t blame Bell at all for sitting. He’s at the age where one injury would make his value tank. He needed the guaranteed cash.

I don’t blame Pitt at all for not giving a rb money. 

In hindsight they should have traded him but, it is easy to say now. I think a lot of people thought he’d play under the tag. Fortunately he didn’t and I had Connor in FF #champion, #paid

15 hours ago, FinneasGage said:
On 3/12/2019 at 1:18 AM, FinneasGage said:

just names i'd probably like. moreso posted this for myself to keep track of who's available i'd like

QB: 

Trevor Siemian

RB:
Tevin Coleman
TJ Yeldon
Mark Ingram
Anthony Sherman

WR:
Tyrell Williams
Golden Tate
Michael Crabtree
Donte Moncrief

TE:
Jared Cook
Maxx Williams
Luke Stocker

DL:
Tim Jernigan 
Allen Bailey
Mo Wilkerson

ILB:
Mark Barron
Jake Ryan

EDGE:
Justin Houston
Ezekiel Ansah
Markus Golden
Shaq Barrett 
Brandon Copeland
Alex Okafor
Derrick Morgan
Clay Matthews 

CB:
Bryce Callahan
Ronald Darby
Darqueze Dennard
Bashaud Breeland
Mo Claiborne

S:
Earl Thomas
Tre Boston
Darian Stewart
Adrian Phillips
Clayton Geathers 

by the time i wake up i expect one of tevin coleman, tj yeldon, tre boston, breeland or jared cook to be on the packers 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Those tweets aren't accurate IMO.  That includes the signing bonuses IMO.

There're accurate. It's just real money and not cap hits. Only matters to the player getting the money earlier, means nothing to the team.

52 minutes ago, Burnett42 said:

There're accurate. It's just real money and not cap hits. Only matters to the player getting the money earlier, means nothing to the team.

No offense. However, I'll wait for confirmation from someone who knows there're is not the way to say they are. 😂

Edited by Nick_gb

Time to re-sign a few of our own and then a few more buy-low FAs. 

Still a lot of good football players available. 

We've seen Gute cover the marquee FAs, now he needs to prove he can round out the roster with a few well-placed mid-level acquisitions. 

• Like 3