Worst Starting QB in the History of Your Franchise

Uncle Buck

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I remember thinking before the 2010 season, "well, we went 8-8 with Delhomme starting 3/4ths of the season, no way we could do worse!". 

And then Jimmy Clausen showed up.

Jimmy Clausen or Chris Weinke? I remember Weinke won his first start, then proceeded to lose the next 14. That's a pretty special achievement.

29 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I didn't ever watch Spergon Wynn play, but I can't imagine he did the boneheaded things that Kizer did all year long. If we had literally any other starting QB last year, we would have won 2-3 games. Kizer throwing into double, triple, and quadruple coverage on clutch drives was insanity. Literally at every crucial moment in every close game, Kizer would do something catastrophic. And not like fumbling on a strip sack...I'm talking about like throwing it directly at a defender with no receiver in the same zip code kind of catastrophic mistakes.

Kizer is the most unclutch football player I have ever seen. He'd do some good things early in the game, but on 3rd downs and money situations, he'd fall apart the way I'd expect a grade school QB to fall apart.

In 7 games he had 40% completion percentage and 0 TDs

46 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I didn't ever watch Spergon Wynn play, but I can't imagine he did the boneheaded things that Kizer did all year long. If we had literally any other starting QB last year, we would have won 2-3 games. Kizer throwing into double, triple, and quadruple coverage on clutch drives was insanity. Literally at every crucial moment in every close game, Kizer would do something catastrophic. And not like fumbling on a strip sack...I'm talking about like throwing it directly at a defender with no receiver in the same zip code kind of catastrophic mistakes.

Kizer is the most unclutch football player I have ever seen. He'd do some good things early in the game, but on 3rd downs and money situations, he'd fall apart the way I'd expect a grade school QB to fall apart.

Yup. I'm not sure I'd say Kizer was the worst QB we've had just because of the physical tools he has. He has the ability to make some really great throws. But mentally he was probably the worst QB we've ever had. Rookie or not, I've never seen a QB make so many horrendously stupid plays on such a consistent basis. For every great throw/play he made, he'd make 10 straight up awful ones.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Viking fans lamenting over Ponder or TJack certainly do not remember Spergon Wynn in purple.

• less than a 50% completion rate
  • 1 td and 6 int's
  • QB rating of 38.6

Definitely Spergon Wynn...although he could battle it out with Josh Freeman...who may not count just because it was only for 1 week.  They didn't follow the Peterman Principle and continue to throw him out there.  They cut bait quickly.

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

635496784567941232-Mett.jpg?width=580&he

Oh, I'd put Vince Young or Jake Locker ahead of him. Zach Mettenberger is who he is, a 6th round lottery ticket that didn't hit. 

Two busts picked in the top 10? One lost to injury, one lost to maturity issues? I'd call those bigger in the grand scheme of things.  

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I'd put Vince Young or Jake Locker ahead of him. Zach Mettenberger is who he is, a 6th round lottery ticket that didn't hit. 

Two busts picked in the top 10? One lost to injury, one lost to maturity issues? I'd call those bigger in the grand scheme of things.  

Yeah but Mettenberger was still worse than both of them

Archived