Has Flacco been Wally Pipp'd?

Elky

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's not a penciled in starter anymore, but he's "seat warmer" worthy. If someone like the Giants or Jaguars get a guy like Dwayne Haskins and give him a year on the bench to learn the pro game, you could certainly do worse than give Flacco the gig as the opening act at QB while the rookie gets set. 

He's not going to set any sort of "highest paid player" type contract, but a 1-3 year deal akin to a Sam Bradford/Ryan Fitzpatrick type journeyman deal is feasible.

EDIT - depending on the future of Alex Smith, Washington seems like a reasonable fit. 

Looking at the 2019 free agents, he may get a role out of default.  The list is Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Teddy Bridgewater.  The rest is trash.

So yeah, he'll probably get a starting role somewhere.

It will be quite interesting to see what they do. As someone already mentioned, the ball control that Lamar Jackson and Gus the Bus provide might be the key to hold the Falcons, Chiefs, Bucs, Chargers offense off the field.

Flacco is by far the better passer, I don’t think anyone disagrees, but we couldn’t run the ball with him on the field and if that continues if he gets back and get the chance, I could see that being the turning point.

I highly doubt Flacco is a RPO option, and that would mean we would go back to Alex Collins. If both Flacco and Collins isn’t completely healthy, I believe Harbaugh and the team would see if Lamar Jackson can win against a better opponent like the Chiefs. Falcons next week is a trap game as they have the potential to be a much better team than their record indicates.

His success right now feels very Vince Young-ish insomuch as he really isnt a good passer and makes alot of nice plays with his legs, but as soon as teams get more game tape on him he will be handled much better by opposing defenses....unless he grows as a passer.

I actually liked Jackson's upside and wasnt happy the Ravens got him....and I do think its time they move on from Flacco....but the question is, who gives them the best chance for the rest of this season?    If it were me, Id probably give Jackson the nod this week no matter what, and if he wins again and looks decent, stick with him.    Maybe put Flacco back in if they get into the playoffs and hope January Joe is in effect.

Next year, the absolutely should move on....but I really think they need to bring in another QB to push Lamar Jackson.   I dont think he should be handed the job without competition (unless he finishes this season out looking really good).     I think they should sign a guy like Sam Bradford or Ryan Fitzpatrick to a cheap 1 year deal and put one of them and Lamar in a competition.     Just dont let Lamar Jackson feel like anything is being handed to him....that could really hurt his development IMO.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Will he?  I suppose he could be an upgrade someplace like Buffalo.  But he's clearly not cut out for this NFL anymore.  He's at or below replacement level.

Flacco is certainly a top 32 QB in the NFL. And given the rate of injuries these days, being top 36 or so guarantees you at least half a season. He is obviously not a franchise guy for the future anymore, but he can certainly be a "decent" gap guy.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

Flacco is certainly a top 32 QB in the NFL. And given the rate of injuries these days, being top 36 or so guarantees you at least half a season. He is obviously not a franchise guy for the future anymore, but he can certainly be a "decent" gap guy.

I won't argue that.  But if i have a guy i think can be top 20 (even if he's not), i'd give him a shot before Flacco.  Reason being that you know Flacco is in the bottom 5-10, and won't go any higher.  The other guy may be a gamble, but could be better.

It'll be the reason he doesn't start, if he doesn't.  Just like his current situation.  Lamar may not be better, but they're going to try because they know Flacco isn't taking them anywhere in the modern NFL.

19 minutes ago, theJ said:

I won't argue that.  But if i have a guy i think can be top 20 (even if he's not), i'd give him a shot before Flacco.  Reason being that you know Flacco is in the bottom 5-10, and won't go any higher.  The other guy may be a gamble, but could be better.

It'll be the reason he doesn't start, if he doesn't.  Just like his current situation.  Lamar may not be better, but they're going to try because they know Flacco isn't taking them anywhere in the modern NFL.

Yeah but there is always about 5ish teams who don't have any sort of a potential guy and are struggling to find even a bad QB, so Flacco will certainly have a job unless he doesn't want one or demands too much money.

7 hours ago, theJ said:

Obviously, you play Andy Dalton in the regular season and stash Flacco in case you make the playoffs. Duh. ;)

Archived