16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, Lodestar said:

In this 10-minute pool interview, McDaniels comes across as reasonably sane. Less of a weenie than I expected. You can see he's a very intelligent guy.

Yeah champ Bailey said McD was the smartest coach he's worked with.

That's the kind of guy you want to pair with Rodgers IMO.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I listened to Pat McAfee's explanation of this play on his podcast. Was pretty hilarious. Mixup between Pagano, the special teams coordinator and the snapper

(I'm assuming this is the Pats video, can't open at work)

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I think there's just a LOT of confirmation bias around Pettine. I know we've had injuries too, but our defense sucks yet.

I'm not so certain that the suckitude is completely Pettine-related. As I've watched this defense, I've seen Pettine put a lot of guys in position to make plays- and Sunday vs Detroit was no different. Kentrell Brice comes free on a run blitz, meets the RB in the hole and completely whiffs. Over and over, poor tackling. That's on the players.Certainly the DC has some responsibility there - but the scheme was working to get guys a free run. And that's what he set out to do, with very limited pass rushing talent on the team, Pettine manufactured a lot of pressure. GB finished # 10 in Sacks/ game and # 7 in Sack %.
Given what he had to work with , that's a win imo. Moss is gone...I'd lean toward keeping him around and I think the current players would echo that sentiment based on some of their in-season comments.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm not so certain that the suckitude is completely Pettine-related. As I've watched this defense, I've seen Pettine put a lot of guys in position to make plays- and Sunday vs Detroit was no different. Kentrell Brice comes free on a run blitz, meets the RB in the hole and completely whiffs. Over and over, poor tackling. That's on the players.Certainly the DC has some responsibility there - but the scheme was working to get guys a free run. And that's what he set out to do, with very limited pass rushing talent on the team, Pettine manufactured a lot of pressure. GB finished # 10 in Sacks/ game and # 7 in Sack %.
Given what he had to work with , that's a win imo. Moss is gone...I'd lean toward keeping him around and I think the current players would echo that sentiment based on some of their in-season comments.

Yeah I think Pettine is "fine". Not sure he's a home run though. I think there's a number of intriguing options out there and am not convinced Pettine is the best among them.

I hope we bring in the blue chip HC that will have his pick of DCs. Maybe Pettine wins that interview competition, maybe not. I'm optimistic about the options I see out there though and I don't ignore all of them to keep the status quo.

Last year when GB was looking for a new GM, there was a moment in time when Russ Ball was getting a lot of press and it seemed like he was a top candidate.
That's when MM went on the offensive and during his presser and talked about how the Coach/GM thing had to be a fit. That's also when we heard that MM told his staff that if GB hired Ball - he was gonna take the Arizona job ( HC with roster control)

Meanwhile Josh McDaniels was dancing with the Colts - first accepting, then rejecting the HC job in Indy. When they asked McD if he reversed course because the HC job in NE was promised to him - he said "No". When they asked him if he wanted to be an HC again, he said "Yes"

So what I am wondering is this: Did the power struggle with MM happen at the same time as the McDaniels fiasco ? And if so, are the two related ?
Did McD get some assurances from Gute ( they know each other) that the GB job would be opening in 2019 ?
Did McD go back to NE for one more year until the GB job opened ? And did Gute/Murphy consider this McD as a viable option when pulling the plug on the McCarthy era ?

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah I think Pettine is "fine". Not sure he's a home run though. I think there's a number of intriguing options out there and am not convinced Pettine is the best among them.

I hope we bring in the blue chip HC that will have his pick of DCs. Maybe Pettine wins that interview competition, maybe not. I'm optimistic about the options I see out there though and I don't ignore all of them to keep the status quo.

I think there are a handful of DCs out there that are really good.  They look great when They have studs on defense that run what they call and that make plays when they can.  

I think Pettine is one of those DCs.   I think Dom Capers was one of them 10 years ago.

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Gonna piggy-back this...and say that I did not watch one snap from the Lions game.

I remember seeing Anthony Pleasant come free in games to make stops in the backfield, sometimes all he had to do was hang onto a QB.  And he failed to do so.  Like epic fails.

The Pettine scheme seems to work.  The players, though, don't see competent enough to finish the play.  At least in the Pleasant example.

Now...good coaches put their players in position to make plays.  I don't think that Pettine, especially at the end, had the players capable of making plays.

I'm all for letting him come back, if the new head coach wishes it.  But...there needs to be an influx of talent on the defense for him to work with.  We can't have the Anthony Pleasants of the NFL world schemed free.  We need more competent guys.  And that falls to the GM.

I think that GB likes Brice, and I think he's fine to hang around.  But they need to do better back there.  Brice can back up, play specials...etc.  But GB needs better back end play.

22 minutes ago, cannondale said:

What started as a stupid blip in my head has turned to this:

If Holmgren called and wanted a 5 years and I'm done contract, would you answer the phone ?

Answer it and transfer him to the Packers HOF dept. 

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Last year when GB was looking for a new GM, there was a moment in time when Russ Ball was getting a lot of press and it seemed like he was a top candidate.
That's when MM went on the offensive and during his presser and talked about how the Coach/GM thing had to be a fit. That's also when we heard that MM told his staff that if GB hired Ball - he was gonna take the Arizona job ( HC with roster control)

Meanwhile Josh McDaniels was dancing with the Colts - first accepting, then rejecting the HC job in Indy. When they asked McD if he reversed course because the HC job in NE was promised to him - he said "No". When they asked him if he wanted to be an HC again, he said "Yes"

So what I am wondering is this: Did the power struggle with MM happen at the same time as the McDaniels fiasco ? And if so, are the two related ?
Did McD get some assurances from Gute ( they know each other) that the GB job would be opening in 2019 ?
Did McD go back to NE for one more year until the GB job opened ? And did Gute/Murphy consider this McD as a viable option when pulling the plug on the McCarthy era ?

If the way I connected the dots was accurate - that was all about Russ Ball. He was making some bad decisions filling in the gaps for TT

Archived