NFL Nearing 5-year extension for Roger Goodell until 2024

Broncofan

16 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The only two owners who have a problem with him are Kraft and Jerry.

They aren't the only ones. They're just two of the very few with enough balls and enough public attention strictly by team association to say anything loud enough that the majority of the people actually hear it. The majority of the other NFL "owners" (and I use that word very lightly) have "associates" to do their bids for them and are so out of touch with anything related to the league on a personnel level that they could really give a damn about what happens at this point. Their main focus is on other ventures. The NFL is just an after thought.

People know Kraft(Patriots team). People know Jerry Jones(Cowboys team). So their voices are heard much louder than others. Do any of you give a damn what a woody Johnson or Stven Ross would have to say to ANYTHING? Hell no. Ofcourse not and why should you. The same with the media. And where do we get our info from? The MEDIA! 

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They aren't the only ones. They're just two of the very few with enough balls and enough public attention strictly by team association to say anything loud enough that the majority of the people actually hear it. The majority of the other NFL "owners" (and I use that word very lightly) have "associates" to do their bids for them and are so out of touch with anything related to the league on a personnel level that they could really give a damn about what happens at this point. Their main focus is on other ventures. The NFL is just an after thought.

People know Kraft(Patriots team). People know Jerry Jones(Cowboys team). So their voices are heard much louder than others. Do any of you give a damn what a woody Johnson or Stven Ross would have to say to ANYTHING? Hell no. Ofcourse not and why should you. The same with the media. And where do we get our info from? The MEDIA! 

Yep, just a billion dollar afterthought for these owners that don't care about their billion dollar investment and are ok with not knowing whether or not the guy in charge of it makes or loses money. That type of detachment is what got them rich in the first place, I'm sure.

10 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I'm actually very confused about why they're tolerating it?

and I'm not sure they've actually lost any money yet. I could be wrong but I don't think any of their TV deals expired in the last year. But they probably are losing leverage in future negotiations 

2 possible reasons:

1. They think the polling data is exaggerated/inaccurate.

2. They think actively punishing players who kneel during the anthem will only shed more light on it and drive the NFL fanbase and players further apart, but if they just do nothing for a few years, by the time TV negotiations come around, people will be numb to it and the ratings will have bounced back.

Going with 2 personally.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

2 possible reasons:

1. They think the polling data is exaggerated/inaccurate.

2. They think actively punishing players who kneel during the anthem will only shed more light on it and drive the NFL fanbase and players further apart, but if they just do nothing for a few years, by the time TV negotiations come around, people will be numb to it and the ratings will have bounced back.

Going with 2 personally.

There really isn't any value-added action the league could even take right now either IMO. I thought Pete Carrol's response was excellent actually, the league should adopt that as it's official statement. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There really isn't any value-added action the league could even take right now either IMO. I thought Pete Carrol's response was excellent actually, the league should adopt that as it's official statement. 

Given that the NFLPA is getting involved and this could very conceivably head to a grievance, the NFL should probably not comment until Kaepernick is signed at least. And even then, if hypothetically you have 90% of the population who approves of a statement like Pete Carrol's, why alienate 10%? Just say nothing that would give the fanbase on the fringe any excuse to leave.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yep, just a billion dollar afterthought for these owners that don't care about their billion dollar investment and are ok with not knowing whether or not the guy in charge of it makes or loses money. That type of detachment is what got them rich in the first place, I'm sure.

Yep, they all became successful all by themselves. And they all maintain that success by their lonesome too I'm sure.

I bet the owners such as the 90+ year old Benson and McCaskey are car-pooling for a meeting with Goodell right now as we speak.... oh wait.

This is from Andrew Brandt at SI and he's one of the best in the business and truly knows this League inside out as a former agent and team cap guy

He also teaches Sports Business Law at the Wharton School

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/23/roger-goodell-ezekiel-elliott-suspension

"Believe me when I say this: every team, without exception, believes that Goodell and the NFL office treats other teams better than it treats them. It is a universal paranoia that Goodell and his staff deal with on a daily basis. And for every decision that enrages Jones or Robert Kraft or another owner, there are many other owners saying “Attaboy Roger!”

"Jones supported Goodell’s harsh treatment of Tom Brady; I would guess Kraft supports Goodell’s harsh treatment of Elliott. NFL owners compartmentalize well, know that business is booming and asset values are skyrocketing and truly appreciate that Goodell taking the heat so they don’t have to. Goodell’s lack of owner support has continuously been overstated and over-exaggerated. His contract extension this week, amid howls about his performance from outsiders, reflects that."

Lots more in the article...

There are a wealth of reasons the NFL ratings were down last year, none of them individually responsible. Kaepernick is actually probably a pretty small component. The election and the Cubs run were major contributing factors. The NFL's issues with addressing domestic violence and other player issues were also relevant. Oversaturation and people in general starting to opt out of cable television are also not insignificant.

Though it interesting to see people argue out of both sides of their mouth on this. "NFL owners should be upset at Goodell for not being more proactive about player protests! Bad Goodell for not addressing something some fans are upset by!" "NFL owners should be upset at Goodell for being so proactive about player discipline! Bad Goodell for addressing something some fans are upset by!"

9 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

There are a wealth of reasons the  The election and the Cubs run were major contributing factors. The NFL's issues with addressing domestic violence and other player issues were also relevant. Oversaturation and people in general starting to opt out of cable television are also not insignificant.

I've heard the election theory and I don't buy it. I was as obsessed with that election as anyone and I was still glued to football on Sunday. And cable news on Sunday is always Deadsville anyway.

Now oversaturation. That I do believe. I thought people were crazy to think the NFL could sustain that kind of growth forever.

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If any of this was even remotely true, then why extend him for another half decade?

Think of this like a player. Blake Bortles is a bust, so would anyone in their right mind sign him to a five year extension?

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

There are a wealth of reasons the NFL ratings were down last year

Sports Illustrated posted this article last year where the fans chimed in and offered a variety of reasons for the ratings decline

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/27/nfl-ratings-decline-football-fans-explain-viewership

"The NFL and the networks changed the rules and the conduct of the game to make it all about scoring in an effort to boost ratings and attract the casual demographic. And so these new NFL fans and fantasy fans only care about scoring. There is no need to watch an entire broadcast when all you care about is, “Who scored?”

With the RedZone channel, Twitter, highlight shows and a hundred fantasy outlets saturating the airwaves, ratings are down for traditional broadcasts, and they will continue to decline because it’s a lousy way to consume NFL football. The old-timers watched an entire game but are tired of all the commercials, while the newly minted fans happily consume the NFL in short bytes from non-broadcast sources. Why would anybody sit through three hours of commercials when they can get all the scoring plays with an investment of 15 minutes?

The owners, league and networks fell in love—not with their best, most loyal customers, but with the people who weren’t their customers yet. That was a strategic mistake on their part, thinking they could keep the fans they already had AND change the game enough to win over the new set of fans.

It’s kind of ironic that the NFL went hard after the casual fans and got exactly that; casual fans who won’t bother with a three-hour broadcast. The game is still popular; but the gravy train that drives the revenue, network broadcasts, is on the way down. And they’ve got no one to blame but themselves."

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I've heard the election theory and I don't buy it. I was as obsessed with that election as anyone and I was still glued to football on Sunday. And cable news on Sunday is always Deadsville anyway.

You're not a casual fan, though. Football diehards are never what created the NFL ratings boom in the first place. Getting casual fans to tune in regularly is what creates growth. Turning casual fans into relatively serious fans is what creates growth. For those fans, having all those other options makes tuning in regularly less likely. So yes, even things like election coverage cuts into NFL ratings.

40 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Sports Illustrated posted this article last year where the fans chimed in and offered a variety of reasons for the ratings decline

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/27/nfl-ratings-decline-football-fans-explain-viewership

"The NFL and the networks changed the rules and the conduct of the game to make it all about scoring in an effort to boost ratings and attract the casual demographic. And so these new NFL fans and fantasy fans only care about scoring. There is no need to watch an entire broadcast when all you care about is, “Who scored?”

With the RedZone channel, Twitter, highlight shows and a hundred fantasy outlets saturating the airwaves, ratings are down for traditional broadcasts, and they will continue to decline because it’s a lousy way to consume NFL football. The old-timers watched an entire game but are tired of all the commercials, while the newly minted fans happily consume the NFL in short bytes from non-broadcast sources. Why would anybody sit through three hours of commercials when they can get all the scoring plays with an investment of 15 minutes?

The owners, league and networks fell in love—not with their best, most loyal customers, but with the people who weren’t their customers yet. That was a strategic mistake on their part, thinking they could keep the fans they already had AND change the game enough to win over the new set of fans.

It’s kind of ironic that the NFL went hard after the casual fans and got exactly that; casual fans who won’t bother with a three-hour broadcast. The game is still popular; but the gravy train that drives the revenue, network broadcasts, is on the way down. And they’ve got no one to blame but themselves."

I like this so much.

There is ONLY one reason I could even seen them not extending his contract, and its entirely possible they still use him for this.

All these idiots think Goodell has his own thoughts. He doesn't. He is the puppet on the owners strings. His job is to be their voice, their enforcer, and their shield between the owners and everything around them including each other. But, and this is the best part, he doesn't have any actual unique skill. There are plenty of people who could do his job just as well as him because, his job is to take a beating, do exactly as he's told, and rack up wins for his employers. He's not the Tom Brady of Commisioners. He's the Russell Wilson of Commisioners. He's not really losing you any games, he's saying the right things, he is effective and you could certainly do a lot worse, such as someone like DeMaurice Smith, who is like the Brock Osweiler of Executive Directors for the NFL PA; overpaid and unable to organize and execute.

What they NFL owners shoudve done or perhaps will do, is offer up Goodell to the Players Association during the next Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiation. They could say, "Hey, DeMaurice, you moron, how about we fire Goodell in exchange for X, Y, or Z that we want to have happen".

And DeMaurice would KNOW, he would look like a hero to his constituents and the fans who don't see Goodell as the puppet he is,  no matter how badly he screws up things that actually matter.

And the NFL would simply pay Goodell to go away, and hire a new, exact replica with a different hair cut who would then play the bad guy.

Archived