Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That one was horrible. Vic's football knowledge sucks, which is a big time bummer because he gets the most honest reporting from the team.

Sometimes they interfere with each other. Ted Nguyen and Tashan Reed are good. Also Vinny Bonsignore is pretty objective, if a bit optimistic like myself.

No one is better than Jerry Mc. Not one bit of sensasionalism in his reports.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've given some thought to this and there is clearly a type of player Gruden wants. He wants hard nosed, physical football players. He wants to win running the football and wearing teams down. He wants to play physical football. In that sense, he has a plan.

The problem is this isn't the early 2000's NFL and the execution has been horrible. The offense often feels conservative and out of touch. The modern NFL isn't lining up double TE with a FB in red zone for example. 

And these physical players he covets lead to poor draft picks like Abram. He just "feels" like Raider. Translation... he's hard nosed and physical. But you watch him in college, he can't cover and has no instincts. Ferrell, Jacobs are others who fit that mold. Ferrell is physical, but lacks explosive traits for the position. Jacobs is physical, but isn't a dynamic runner worth a first round pick. Arnette is the latest 'tough guy' who the jury is still out on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Unlikely because they know we have to cut him. 

how many teams still need a QB?  If the answer is more than one and you think MM is better than anything you can get after round 1 then there is incentive to trade.  We do not have to cut him.  And if we do not extend Carr their mind is not made up.  We have Carr and MM for the cost of Tannehill and his backup.  Would I like to have one of the QBs off the books and use the extra on defense? Of course but I am not going to allow a team to force my hand.  It would be best for both teams to get a deal done as soon as possible but I would be willing to wait on a team to get desperate.  We have the best back up in the league right now.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

how many teams still need a QB?  If the answer is more than one and you think MM is better than anything you can get after round 1 then there is incentive to trade.  We do not have to cut him.  And if we do not extend Carr their mind is not made up.  We have Carr and MM for the cost of Tannehill and his backup.  Would I like to have one of the QBs off the books and use the extra on defense? Of course but I am not going to allow a team to force my hand.  It would be best for both teams to get a deal done as soon as possible but I would be willing to wait on a team to get desperate.  We have the best back up in the league right now.

Really only 2 destination for him. Washington and Chicago. Teams who need a QB and are in the back half of the draft. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Really only 2 destination for him. Washington and Chicago. Teams who need a QB and are in the back half of the draft. 

Both teams have a chance to win their divisions if they get a decent QB.  Both teams also have players at positions of need for us.  No reason why something should not get worked out.  At the very worst you hold onto MM as a security blanket and get a comp pick for him when he walks if somebody signs him as a starting QB.

52 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

no way man. we could sign 2 starters at that price, and add like 4-5 vet depth pieces. 

I am not for or against getting rid of MM.  My judgement will be based on what we get back.  If we find a good backup that is cheaper then we can trade or cut him.  If we get a decent offer for him in a trade then I am cool with that also.  I would not like cutting him just to have cap space.  Imagine putting together a playoff team and then Carr gets hurt or starts a late season collapse again.  I do not want to make the playoffs just to watch some backup that does not deserve to ever see the field lead this team onto the the field.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:55 AM, big_palooka said:

The problem is this isn't the early 2000's NFL and the execution has been horrible. The offense often feels conservative and out of touch. The modern NFL isn't lining up double TE with a FB in red zone for example. 

Despite Gruden's issues in the red zone and conservative decision making our offense still took a major leap in 2020. We had a top 10 offense both in terms of yards and scoring despite our entire OL being banged up throughout the year, Jacobs dealing with injuries, and without getting a ton of production from Ruggs or Edwards. I definitely agree that Gruden's offense does feel out of touch at times though, we've really struggled in the red zone and had way too many long drives that we ended up settling for a FG. 

I think Gruden's biggest mistake was trusting Gunether and failing to acquire difference makers on the defensive side of the ball. Gruden as a personnel guy doesn't work because he's always going to prioritize adding more weapons offensively over building a defense. 

As I said before we went 3-7 in games that our opponent scored 30+ points. And 5-1 in games we held opposing teams to under 30 with the only loss being to Miami in a game that we gave to them at the end.