Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

The issue I have is Gruden 2.0's "plan" with the offense has been ball control offense. Strong running game to set up the pass. Now he's gutted a vet Oline that was the core of that philosophy. What's the identity now on offense? 

Is it ball control, play action try to wear team down? Because this OL doesn't have that feel. 

Overall, it's my issue with Gruden and why I don't think this team goes anywhere under him. He has no vision and impatient with the roster. Every year feels like they are rebuilding somewhere. There is no consistency 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Is it ball control, play action try to wear team down? Because this OL doesn't have that feel. 

Hard to say that when we'll likely invest heavily into the OL in the draft. But I agree that we've made some pretty meh personnel decisions. Losing Hudson was the worst though, especially with his dead cap number. Trent never played anyways and Jackson wasn't worth his contract. But losing Hudson and paying James? Yikes. 

Just now, oakdb36 said:

That oline was very good in pass pro and not so good run blocking. If you want a ball control offense, you need a run blocking oline.

Yeah, on the locked on Raiders podcast the host said that our OL as a whole ranked 27th in run blocking efficiency last season. We probably had the most combinations of 5 different starters on the OL of any team last season. 

22 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

That oline was very good in pass pro and not so good run blocking. If you want a ball control offense, you need a run blocking oline.

Good point. Trying to understand Gruden's though process between the Oline and adding Drake who excelled in AZ in Kingsburry's spread out style of offense. 

The offense will need to excel in pass pro though. Is there a high end QB who shrinks more than Derek Carr under pressure? It's a legit problem for him. He get skittish quick and starts making bad decisions. The ATL game stands out as a game they didn't pass pro well and Carr's wheels fell off.

I think it is safe to say that we as fans are lost when trying to figure out what direction and what philosophy Gruden has for this offense.  The question I want answered is if Gruden does.  Did his plan just change or was his long term goal to make these decisions in years 3-5?  I have the feeling that Gruden is winging it like a bad day trader.  I could easily be wrong but when people are criticizing him and barely anyone is coming to his defense it looks like there is some truth to the criticisms.  He is being given time by media sources but even some of them are coming out and questioning his decisions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know what type of offense Miami was running but Drake was doing fine there. And it's more in line with the kind of usage we should expect from him behind Jacobs.

Yeah, Drake had 1,012 total yards and 9 TD in his final full season with Miami.

The Drake deal got such crazy criticism but I like the move.  2yr, 11M.... 5.5M a year..... so what If Richard is cut that’s only 2M more and he’s way more dynamic and productive.  He’s a red zone runner which is huge for us and he’s a more diverse receiver then Richard.  If he makes 14m who cares he earned it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

The Drake deal got such crazy criticism but I like the move.  2yr, 11M.... 5.5M a year..... so what If Richard is cut that’s only 2M more and he’s way more dynamic and productive.  He’s a red zone runner which is huge for us and he’s a more diverse receiver then Richard.  If he makes 14m who cares he earned it.

exactly, Gruden could do no right in some peoples eyes. Guys would rather trash the moves to look smart while the teams stock is down. yet when we win, they won't eat crow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hard to say that when we'll likely invest heavily into the OL in the draft. But I agree that we've made some pretty meh personnel decisions. Losing Hudson was the worst though, especially with his dead cap number. Trent never played anyways and Jackson wasn't worth his contract. But losing Hudson and paying James? Yikes. 

to be fair they have to keep rebuilding every offseason because our draft picks and free agent signings have typically underwhelmed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

exactly, Gruden could do no right in some peoples eyes. Guys would rather trash the moves to look smart while the teams stock is down. yet when we win, they won't eat crow. 

Welll Gruden hasn’t been doing much right when he makes moves for the most part so it makes it easy to pile in on him, but this move was good.  

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He's guaranteed 11 mil is the problem. I like Drake, but it's how Gruden doesn't these things. Blows up the Oline for cap. Then throws 11 mil guaranteed to a RB2 when your defense is still a complete mess.

Again... it's just the overall lack of plan. Feel like he makes the decisions on the fly.