Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

who reads or gets the magazine in 2021. NFL.com has us at 19 which I think is fair until we step up. 

They have a website.  I always look at power rankings whenever they come out.  I enjoy reading them.  It's always fun when we hit the top 10 before we end up imploding the second half of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

They have a website.  I always look at power rankings whenever they come out.  I enjoy reading them.  It's always fun when we hit the top 10 before we end up imploding the second half of the season.

Forgot about them, I remember my dad use to always have the SI magazines growing up. I also remember always reading the sporting News draft magazine every year growing up. it's been so long since I read that, wonder if they still make it. I should start buying a draft magazine, be kinda cool to save one every year and look back at them a decade later.  

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Forgot about them, I remember my dad use to always have the SI magazines growing up. I also remember always reading the sporting News draft magazine every year growing up. it's been so long since I read that, wonder if they still make it. I should start buying a draft magazine, be kinda cool to save one every year and look back at them a decade later.  

Circle the players you want.  Or leave a note with your thoughts on it.  See how well your thoughts turn out.  That does sound kind of fun.

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's too low, but the impact of losing a veteran Oline and their top WR can't be understated. And the defense is hardly improved. Added Yannick, but have holes still at every level. 

Can't deny the fact the Chargers and Broncos both had solid FA periods. Both have better talent top to bottom than the Raiders. Denver has to sort it's QB spot out though. 

Well I'm not really comparing us to just two teams in our division, I think against the NFL we are better than 3 other teams.  I still think we can beat the Broncos twice this season.  Don't know about the Chargers and their new coaching staff though.  Who knows how that will work out.

I was wondering about this. The Raiders have always had at least 1 of their stalwart players on the Oline since 2014. 

People are sleeping on how much the Oline is going to be effected. Cable has had filet mignon to cook with since joining the Raiders. He's about to get leftovers.

We saw Cable flame out in Seattle trying to mold spare parts into a high functioning Oline. This is going to be a problem but everyone is ignoring how big of one. 

Easy to say look at how well Good filled in.... sure next to a top 3 center. How's he going to look next to an inexperienced C converted from OT getting meaningful snaps? 

Raider fans will convince themselves it's fine and this team can win 10 games "with this offense". This offense is about to take 2 steps backwards if anyone is paying attention.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I was wondering about this. The Raiders have always had at least 1 of their stalwart players on the Oline since 2014. 

People are sleeping on how much the Oline is going to be effected. Cable has had filet mignon to cook with since joining the Raiders. He's about to get leftovers.

We saw Cable flame out in Seattle trying to mold spare parts into a high functioning Oline. This is going to be a problem but everyone is ignoring how big of one. 

Easy to say look at how well Good filled in.... sure next to a top 3 center. How's he going to look next to an inexperienced C converted from OT getting meaningful snaps? 

Raider fans will convince themselves it's fine and this team can win 10 games "with this offense". This offense is about to take 2 steps backwards if anyone is paying 

Yep. Such a poorly managed situation. I agree with getting rid of Brown, possibly Jackson, although I wouldn’t have been as eager to move on. The Hudson trade was just plain dumb.

We’ve turned one of our only real strengths into a question mark and will have to address it early (and perhaps often) in a draft that should have been focused on improving our record breakingly bad defense.

Created unnecessary holes, almost certainly made worse a decent performing unit and further damaged our reputation among outside players and professionals by the way we have dumped on our best performing players

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Raider fans will convince themselves it's fine and this team can win 10 games "with this offense". This offense is about to take 2 steps backwards if anyone is paying attention.

Inc was injured and a starting caliber LG.  Our new C from the Texans was a starter for the past four seasons.  D. Good started for us at both OG and RT this past season.  I really don't think there is a major drop off.  Sam Young was trash at RT.  Trent Brown was injured all season.  I really don't think the drop off is going to be as insane as everyone things.  I mean we had 50M per season allocated to our OL and we went 7-9 and 8-8.  We need to try something different.

52 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Yep. Such a poorly managed situation. I agree with getting rid of Brown, possibly Jackson, although I wouldn’t have been as eager to move on. The Hudson trade was just plain dumb.

We’ve turned one of our only real strengths into a question mark and will have to address it early (and perhaps often) in a draft that should have been focused on improving our record breakingly bad defense.

Created unnecessary holes, almost certainly made worse a decent performing unit and further damaged our reputation among outside players and professionals by the way we have dumped on our best performing players

Can't understate this enough. Almost feel locked into Oline at 17 now. Cable is on the pro day tour looking at Oline. 

The defense lacks any game breaking talent and they've resigned to needing picks to address a suspect Oline of their own creation. 

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Inc was injured and a starting caliber LG.  Our new C from the Texans was a starter for the past four seasons.  D. Good started for us at both OG and RT this past season.  I really don't think there is a major drop off.  Sam Young was trash at RT.  Trent Brown was injured all season.  I really don't think the drop off is going to be as insane as everyone things.  I mean we had 50M per season allocated to our OL and we went 7-9 and 8-8.  We need to try something different.

Good played either next to Hudson or Jackson all season. He won't have their help on this line. Richie is 38 coming off an achilles injury. Andre is completely greed. Throw in a rookie RT and you don't see how this is a problem?

I get all this needed to be done, the Oline was bloated. But to gut it in one offseason.

Lastly, I like how homers blame the defense for the team being 8-8 until it they have to defend questionable moves on the Oline. 

Bottom line, as I told you early in the offseason, the top 10 offense will drop off due to attrition. That was my feeling before blowing up the entire Oline. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good played either next to Hudson or Jackson all season. He won't have their help on this line. Richie is 38 coming off an achilles injury. Andre is completely greed. Throw in a rookie RT and you don't see how this is a problem?

I get all this needed to be done, the Oline was bloated. But to gut it in one offseason.

Lastly, I like how homers blame the defense for the team being 8-8 until it they have to defend questionable moves on the Oline. 

Bottom line, as I told you early in the offseason, the top 10 offense will drop off due to attrition. That was my feeling before blowing up the entire Oline. 

The James/Hudson moves were definitely head scratchers but our OL wasn't great last season. Our run blocking was like 27th best in the league and while we only gave up like 26 sacks, a lot of that was due to scheme and how quickly Carr gets the ball out of his hands. I think Good was as good, if not better, than Jackson last season and the writing was on the wall for him because he wasn't playing up to his contract. 

Obviously Incognito's health is a major question mark but if he is healthy the left side of our OL should be very good. And if he can't stay healthy we have to hope that John Simpson can step into a starting role. We took him in the 4th round last year and Cable is supposedly an OL guru so let's see what he can do. 

A rookie RT is obviously a question mark as well but it's a deep OT class and if we take a guy at #17 he should be decent as a day one starter. 

If the offensive line comes together with our draft picks and stays healthy, I think our offense will be even better in 2021. John Brown is an upgrade over Agholor, Ruggs/Edwards will be coming into year 2 in the offense, Waller/Jacobs should continue to improve, and Moreau should be at 100%. Not to mention the addition of Drake will give us some flexibility and another dynamic weapon out of the backfield and we're also bringing back Hunter Renfrow and Alec Ingold. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Do you think the OL was good last year? I dont and was vocal about it. Center will be worse no doubt. But right tackle was shaky without Trent and could be better with a talented rookie who plays more than a third of the season. Richie is easily better than anything we had at guard last year and Simpson looked good to end the year.

I actually think this is perfect to evaluate Carr. Can he perform without an expensive OL and Hudson making calls.

I think he can but we’ll see. If the offense takes a step back we win like 4 games.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Do you think the OL was good last year? I dont and was vocal about it. Center will be worse no doubt. But right tackle was shaky without Trent and could be better with a talented rookie who plays more than a third of the season. Richie is easily better than anything we had at guard last year and Simpson looked good to end the year.

I actually think this is perfect to evaluate Carr. Can he perform without an expensive OL and Hudson making calls.

I think he can but we’ll see. If the offense takes a step back we win like 4 games.

OL wasn't good last year. They had injuries and guys moving up and down the line. The only constant being Hudson.

I get why they needed to make the moves they did, there was too much money allocated the OL. I was vocal on that. But I don't like the makeup of this new Oline: Solid - injury risk - unproven - average - rookie

It looks unstable in my eyes. Maybe a proven vet RT could galvanize it some. I see shades of Kolton Miller as a rookie at RT and Carr taking a ton of heat. To me, the OL is built for 2022.... not 2021 which signals to me, they are not pushing for the playoffs. Gruden's ego however likely thinks this will work. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

OL wasn't good last year. They had injuries and guys moving up and down the line. The only constant being Hudson.

I get why they needed to make the moves they did, there was too much money allocated the OL. I was vocal on that. But I don't like the makeup of this new Oline: Solid - injury risk - unproven - average - rookie

It looks unstable in my eyes. Maybe a proven vet RT could galvanize it some. I see shades of Kolton Miller as a rookie at RT and Carr taking a ton of heat. To me, the OL is built for 2022.... not 2021 which signals to me, they are not pushing for the playoffs. Gruden's ego however likely thinks this will work. 

I agree, the line is the key to the offense, hopefully the Raiders groomed these guys to replace the guys they just lost.  I doubt it though. Carr is in for a rough year which might be his last if the Raiders miss playoffs. 

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Our o line is def a big question mark, and if it doesnt perform, with our D, we are on our way to a top 10 pick.
I personally, wouldnt use a play from Carrs rookie year, when our team was trash, to make my point tho.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah it really depends on if we can get a lynchpin at right tackle. A shaky one and the line looks bad. A good one who's a road grader and it looks revitalized. Hence why I don't want to cheapen out on right tackle.

Vinny Bonsignore suggested trying to move back and still getting a 1st round caliber right tackle, then trading up with the picks we get to get Moehrig/Grant. I agree with that strategy, though I won't pass on Slater/Sewell/Darrisaw even with a good trade back offer.