Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I highly doubt Richie plays a down for us this year. What a waste of resources, time, and a roster spot. 

Well, I hope he plays obviously but even if he doesn't get on the field I think for a guy with 'character concerns' when we signed him he might be invaluable as a mentor figure, leader and sounding board to guys like James, Simpson and Leatherwood.  He might even be a better use of a roster spot and salary cap than an Arnette or Ferrell sadly.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, I hope he plays obviously but even if he doesn't get on the field I think for a guy with 'character concerns' when we signed him he might be invaluable as a mentor figure, leader and sounding board to guys like James, Simpson and Leatherwood.  He might even be a better use of a roster spot and salary cap than an Arnette or Ferrell sadly.

You make some good points but those are all intangibles that he could have brought as an Assistant OL coach. Definitely a better use of a roster spot than Arnette but not Ferrell. 

1 hour ago, Heart of Oak said:

So, do you all think that Leatherwood is permanently a Guard now, or will there be an effort to get back to Tackle at some point (maybe next year)?

I am interested to know what you think.

I'll say G. I think he progresses there and they don't risk his development. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

So, do you all think that Leatherwood is permanently a Guard now, or will there be an effort to get back to Tackle at some point (maybe next year)?

I think we should give him another shot at RT. He has the athleticism for it and by all accounts he is a hard worker.  Would be a mistake to give up on him as a Tackle prospect after 6 games. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I think we should give him another shot at RT. He has the athleticism for it and by all accounts he is a hard worker.  Would be a mistake to give up on him as a Tackle prospect after 6 games. 

I hope they are open minded about it. I too think they should give him the chance with another off season to go back outside, but to assess things early and if they have doubts, put him back at G as he looks like he will at least be a solid starter there with potential to have some pretty elite traits in the run game.

We know he was a reach, but so long as he turns out to be a starter for us, even if that is at a less valuable position, that will be a significantly better outcome than pretty much every other 1st rounder we’ve picked in however many years!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

Oooohhh, good question!

I think if we keep Mayock and Cable then they'll be keen to try and get him back playing RT over the off-season as that is what they hung their hats on in the draft, they publicly stated he was a day 1 starter at RT and if he turns out to 'only' be a OG that's a bad look for them.

To be honest, I'd rather have a great OG than an average RT so unless he can really play well at tackle and if he continues to play pretty well at guard and we feel he can be a really good guard I'd probably hope he develops there and try and find a RT in the 3rd round range or in FA.

So many variables though, and I'm assuming he becomes a good or very good guard, he may not be great at either spot, then we're in a real pickle.

7 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Sign Tyrell Crosby (he's from LV) who can play RT or G. Let Leatherwood and Crosby compete for the RT spot. Loser goes to G.

I really liked Tyrell Crosby in the draft but have lost track of him over the years, how's he been playing?