Dolphins to move on from Ryan Tannehill

Elky

18 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They were continually relevant up until about 2003.

The Dolphins had only two losing seasons in the span of 1970 until 2003 (a 33-year span). 2004 and beyond, however, the franchise just can't seem to dig itself out of mediocrity. It's sad.

Tell Ross to hand me the keys. I can fix it. :D

19 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This makes no sense. We aren't in a position to draft a QB nor would an upgrade be available as a FA or trade. Really hope this is just rumor/speculation. Tannehill isn't the problem in Miami. While he does have to be replaced at some point, the timing doesn't make much sense. The cap room that cutting him would save is negated by downgrading at the most important position in the game.

Perhaps Miami is trying to get him to take a pay cut, Idk.

Regarding the FO, they can all go. Never wanted Tannenbum here. Good riddance.

Yeah.  Just seems like a less than stellar year to be looking for a "new" franchise QB.  Makes it a kinda weird move for Miami if they follow through on it, unless they've just accepted that 2019 is going to be another "also ran" season behind the Pats in that division, and want to start gearing up early to make a run Post-Brady.  Or even just to ensure they tank out 2019 hard and can try their hand at franchise QB drafting in 2020, setting them up to own that division for years on end if the Pats can't replace Brady, Darnold continues to suck, and Allen doesn't ever develop more sophistication as a passer.

I don't love Tannehill, and especially don't love his apparent lack of durability...but as a Jaguars fan, i'd much rather go after someone like Tannehill as a FA and draft a guy Day2, see where it goes...rather than getting into some insane bidding war over the couple top QBs available in this year's draft.

I mean, maybe in a weird sense...it could work out for both teams if Tannehill were cut loose and landing in Jacksonville.  It'd give the Jags an okayish, "not the problem" QB that might be able to make something happen with the Jaguars defense, if he can stay healthy.  If he cannot stay healthy, Jaguars just find themselves back in the same situation next year.  Where the Dolphins almost certainly get worse for 2019, whether they get a QB 1st round or not...but maybe position themselves better for that division in a post-Brady era, by getting out front of the QB thing earlier?

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Mark the tape - Ryan Tannehill will be a Pro Bowl/All Pro type QB next season for his next team.

Unfortunately there seems to be a noticeable difference from 2016 Tannehill to 2018 Tannehill.

While the box score seems to indicate not much difference, even an improvement in some statistical categories, Tannehill never really seemed to be fully comfortable after his ACL injury. Perhaps another year removed will do him wonders; perhaps his athleticism is waning and the brutal beatings he has endured over the years have caught up to him mentally. He has has had one of the consistently worse interior OLs I have ever seen a QB suffer through.. although he some times appears completely oblivious to pressure and took a step back recognizing blitzes this year.

However I do think he's starter-caliber, and a sneaky good option at QB if you have an OL in place.

I'll be cheering for White Lightning wherever he ends up.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Mark the tape - Ryan Tannehill will be a Pro Bowl/All Pro type QB next season for his next team.

I'm thinking the Giants are going to jump on this.

Well Jesus are the giants going to move eli to tight end or something 

He reminds of Sam Bradford counted alot on the wr to do something after catching the ball for 2 yards. His midrange to deep ball is not good which is why his passer rating was so good because he never went for the big throws. He has had some for those who quickly want to correct me but most have been bad. He has had 6 years with 1 being injured to evaluate not to mention 3 HC including 1 interim to show what he can do. Philbin and Gase both had outcomes of 20th or worse in offensive statistics in every category. Is it Tannehill or is it the coaches? To me I think its a mixture of both. As a bills fan I would be sad to see the HC and Tannehill go as they would continue to be mediocre, as a fan of the sport it is best to do a rebuild and let everything go and start over. They have been in similar positions as two of their division rivals the bills and Jets. All 3 teams have been middle of the pack, meaning they are good enough to draft outside of the top 5 most of the time but bad enough to not be a legit playoff contender. Always go 6-10 to 9-7, with the exception of 10-6 in one year. Getting rid of Tannehill should also include Mike Tannebaum, GM Grier, and Gase. Let the new regime come in and clear house and start with the bare bones, build up future cap space and make a push then. So even though Tannehill may not make the most sense to be cut now with a weak QB class it may be best for them to start fresh with a Veteran that can come on for a year as starter then draft one in 2020 and play back up to the rookie at that time. Ryan Fitzpatrick, comes to mind as a guy that could do that. He isnt amazing but he shows potential and is a smart guy to help the future qb come along. Probably can get him for fairly cheap too. Cut the guys who have bloated contracts and will likely not be in the long term plans either. Robert Quinn, Andre Branch, Josh Sitton those type of guys, resign guys like Wake who have been the face of the team and let him play out his career at the right price. Some fans may disagree but as a fan of the bills watching them try to retool rather then rebuild was extremely frustrating to watch and im actually looking forward to the future of the organization. Before it was similar to phins, mediocre record with little cap space and constantly trying to plug and play through FA or over reaching for a guy in the draft simply to fill the hole.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I never liked Harris, but I saw him making plays out there last week. I thought he might be redeeming.

His college tape bothered the crap out of me. Very inconsistent, thought everything was a pass, and had virtually no strength or freak speed off the edge. Just seemed very bleh to me. I thought I was wrong on him and that he was having success in Miami...guess that's a big negative.

I thought Harris was a solid pick, patiently waited for him to learn his rookie year, pack on 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason, then get 7 or 8 sacks this year. 

So here we are, he's got one sack in 2018, and that only happened last week. So I'm just a bit bummed. 

I definitely see the Redskins taking an interest in Tannehill if the price is right.  I highly doubt Alex Smith is going to be ready to start the season, and if the Redskins want to continue to compete, they can't do another trade for a QB and give up more assets that can be used to fill other holes on the roster.  The injury thing concerns me, especially since our offensive line usually has more than their fair share of injuries themselves. 

Archived