Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Oh no doubt about it. The defense roster alone is intriguing enough. Combine that with working with an upcoming team and a real chance at a trophy next year, it's a no-brainer. But Bowles and Arians have a long history together so....

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it at all when it's all said and done.

They do but also so do Nagy and Bowles.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Remember of Donatell is under contract Pace can block the move. Promotion or not,  the only time a coach ego is under contract cannot be blocked is for a HC gig.  PHI blocked Flip from the Jets OC job,  but when his contract ended he signed with MIN. 

That's the pain of it, he's out of contract.

18 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Bowles to Tampa with Arians is official... 

If Vic leaves we could seriously be screwed. 

Wilks and Vance Joseph would be out there. Wilks seems like an almost polar opposite to Fangio, so that may be less than ideal. I think he prefers a 4-3 zone scheme with heavy blitzes. He may have kept the Cards defense a 3-4 last year, but I don't think that is his preference. I think Vance ran a 3-4 though. 

22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Bowles to Tampa with Arians is official... 

If Vic leaves we could seriously be screwed. 

I don't think we would be screwed at all.

As far as DCs if we want toi stay in house then Donatell might want to have another shot, he has heard every call Vic has made over the last X years, and learned a lot from his last DC stint in 2008.

Rodgers also has helped Hicks and Goldman ascend, but wouldn't likely be my choice.

We could also look at -

Wilks - has experience in a 4-3 and 3-4, and really we are base nickel so much it doesn't make as much difference.

Vance Joseph is a solid DC who prefers the 3-4

Pagano is rumored to want to get back into coaching, and players will run through a wall for him. He is a 3-4 coach as well

Rex Ryan coaching for the same team he grew up watching his dad dominate offenses under would be an interesting story. He sucks as a HC but his work as a DC was pretty damn stellar IIRC. His personality is the thing that makes me leery of him.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Rex Ryan coaching for the same team he grew up watching his dad dominate offenses under would be an interesting story. He sucks as a HC but his work as a DC was pretty damn stellar IIRC. His personality is the thing that makes me leery of him.

Ryan? Good lord, no. Not what this young team needs.

You're right that there are other good options, though. 

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Pagano would be my pick. The guy has lead some amazing defenses for Baltimore. I would be very sad to see Vic go but he deserves it. 

The only year he coordinated a defense for Baltimore was 2011.

50 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ryan? Good lord, no. Not what this young team needs.

You're right that there are other good options, though. 

Him being a DC rather than HC makes me a lot less concerned about whatever issues people may have with his personality. He clearly would be the #3 football figure in Halas Hall, behind Pace and Nagy. 

The locker room is far stronger than NYJ and BUF ever were. He wouldn't cause any rifts here. 

Not banging the table for him by any means, but but far better than anything we had between Rivera and Vic. I think we easily maintain a top 5 defense even if we have to downgrade at NB and SS with any of the former HCs.  

Archived