Around The League V.2

Totty

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Is that really even necessarily a bad thing? Mahomes and Herbert might well be 2 of the top 4 QBs in the league. If Wilson is still better than Carr, he's going to be somewhere in the top 7-8. 

In a division where all 4 starting QBs are in the top 10-12 in the league, even being 4th isn't exactly a sleight. 

That's exactly what I keep saying. Like 85% of QBs in the NFL would be the "4th best in the AFCW".

That's not a major knock at all, just signifies how berserk this division is. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Eh?!?!?!? He could have walked for a first down and he threw it away because he had a bad belly. Not sure what you're seeing? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Also, how did anyone manage to touch him in the first place with his Jedi-like pocket awareness?? 

Nah man, this isn't it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Mahomes and dropped picks. What a combo.

I get the feeling LA"s D is going to make a lot of QBs look pretty bad this year. 

Their next QB opponents are:

Shad Khan's Goldilocks

The 2021 Rookie Everyone Forgot About 

Deshaun Watson's Placeholder

Mr. Ciara

Gee, No Way!

Super Mario

Lancelot of Groundballs

Every one of them is backup level and/or playing in a new system. And unless something changes, that's their lineup until they face Mahomes again as a true starter in a familiar system. 

Edited by ronjon1990

That game just shows, when a QB makes a mistake, the D needs to capitalize on it. 
The Chargers had 4 chances at INTs, and 3 got taken away by penalty / overturns, and the endzone one was dropped. 
KC made the INT, and won because of it. 

The best QBs dont make mistakes often, so if you dont capitalize on them, youre most likely going to regret it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I get the feeling LA"s D is going to make a lot of QBs look pretty bad this year. 

Their next QB opponents are:

Shad Khan's Goldilocks

The 2021 Rookie Everyone Forgot About 

Deshaun Watson's Placeholder

Mr. Ciara

Gee, No Way!

Super Mario

Lancelot of Groundballs

Every one of them is backup level and/or playing in a new system. And unless something changes, that's their lineup until they face Mahomes again as a true starter in a familiar system. 

Hilarious bro, good names! Seriously though that’s a 5-2 stretch at minimum. And wouldn’t surprise me if they went 7-0 donks and whiners are the toughest of the 7. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Watching this game, I'm optimistic. 

If we didn't have back breaking mistakes last week, we easily beat LA. 2 of Carr's interceptions could've easily been TDs, and he missed another. 

Sucks, but if we clean it up and can show it was largely due to rust and sitting the preseason, it's pretty clear we can hang in there with the AFC's best. 

We've got the talent- despite some big holes- now we just need the efficiency that should hopefully come. 

I agree with all of us which is why I pegged the Raiders to beat the Chargers last week. A key problem though are that things like....

1.playing a 32-year-old running back(until he pulls his hamstring) more than you're starting running back

2. Running the ball 13 times against the poorest run defense despite its success

3. Rotating office of lineman mid game constantly

Are not preseason problems. Coaching problems. Hopefully those get cleaned up this week against a team I think is inferior talent wise other than at quarterback

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Two things:

1) If Carr made that throw he made on 4th down, nobody would care either. Carr gets memed because he has a reputation as being shaky and doing dumb things. 

2) Maybe he was in pain and didn't want to risk taking another shot running be it open or not. It was odd, but to act like Herbert calling the dude pathetic after taking a beating from the pocket delivering strikes all night is misguided. 

1. Maybe, but Carr has made some great throws too (the Waller throw at the 5 was awesome) so I think it’s just a case of better players getting more leeway for excuses. Herbert is better than Carr so he’s excused some pretty pathetic stuff. Kinda a double standard to me.

2. Nope, not buying that. Just excuses. If that was my QB I’d be livid if he just threw the ball away and didn’t try, just like I was livid when Carr threw the ball away on 4th down and most of this forum rightfully were too.

Also, how the heck did he take a beating? 🤨 When we played him last week our pass rush couldn’t touch him because he was apparently a Jedi in the pocket we couldn’t get near and we were a top pass rush in the league. (Not serious of course, just that was the excuse made for our pass rush and why Crosby didn’t sack him last week).

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The impact of losing Tyreek Hill will be interesting to see play out this season. He looked lost without that element against a strong defense last night. 

I often wonder what Mahomes would be without Andy Reid. Do people recall Donovan McNabb left Andy Reid and the Eagles how pedestrian he became?

I think Mahomes has freaky arm talent. But I also don't think he reads defenses well. Makes a lot of dumb throws and as you said, easily could have had 4-5 picks last night. 

Couldn’t agree more, Mahones is incredibly naturally talented, but he’s also been in an incredible system with an elite offence coach. Maybe I’m wrong but he doesn’t seem to deal with adversity too well thus far.

3 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Ultimate coach? The perfect genetic blending of Reid and BB? 🤣🤣🤣 

I actually think Reid has overtaken Belichick now possibly, Bill seems to be a little stuck in a rut offensively though still defensively fantastic. Maybe he’s lost his touch a little.

(Not saying Reid is better historically than BB if that makes sense)

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Couldn’t agree more, Mahones is incredibly naturally talented, but he’s also been in an incredible system with an elite offence coach. Maybe I’m wrong but he doesn’t seem to deal with adversity too well thus far.

The truth is, most QBs don't. 

Guys like Mahomes, Lamar, and Brady haven't ever really played in adverse situations . They walked into good ones. 

Rodgers and Russell Wilson didn't deal with it very well. Dak doesn't appear to either.

I'd put Josh Allen, Matt Stafford, and Derek Carr I'm their own category. I might even slot Goff in there if he continues to not absolutely crumble in Detroit. They made it through situations that we've seen absolutely wreck QBs long term. No "could have (possibly)" with those guys, they've DONE it. And I think that often goes overlooked. 

In picture perfect scenarios with schemes, weapons, coaching, and stability, plenty of guys can look great. What about when those situations deteriorate?

It's why I always respected Alex Smith so much. After his first few years in the league pre-Harbaugh, it's a miracle he had the career he wound up having. Dude should've been washed out by like 08-09. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

1. Maybe, but Carr has made some great throws too (the Waller throw at the 5 was awesome) so I think it’s just a case of better players getting more leeway for excuses. Herbert is better than Carr so he’s excused some pretty pathetic stuff. Kinda a double standard to me.

2. Nope, not buying that. Just excuses. If that was my QB I’d be livid if he just threw the ball away and didn’t try, just like I was livid when Carr threw the ball away on 4th down and most of this forum rightfully were too.

Also, how the heck did he take a beating? 🤨 When we played him last week our pass rush couldn’t touch him because he was apparently a Jedi in the pocket we couldn’t get near and we were a top pass rush in the league. (Not serious of course, just that was the excuse made for our pass rush and why Crosby didn’t sack him last week).

You can not compare the 2.  Herbert is throwing darts for TDs and Carr is underthrowing or throwing behind guys on what should be TDs.  Not saying Carr has not made some great throws but but Hebert is doing it when it is needed.  If Carr pulled up like Hebert did I would not be made about him throwing it away if it was injury related.  He could not run or take another hit.  Carr got crap because he 1) threw it away on 4th down and 2) did it because he did not want to extend a play when he was fully healthy.  The team probably told him he can not take another hit.  If he had broken ribs another shot to that area could have damaged his internal organs like his spleen.