Around The League V.2

Totty

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d prefer to keep Renfrow.  I’m holding out blissfully ignorant hope that McD won’t put him in the doghouse in favor of “his guys” and Renfrow will have an Good season.  But the realistic me acknowledges it’s probably time to trade him. 

Looking at post-Draft rosters, New England, Arizona, and Minnesota are teams that I think could use Renfrow and have a ton of excess LBs. Who they'd be willing to part with is unknown to me, but that's probably where I'd start looking. 

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I wonder if this sparks him to demand a trade, especially after they just drafted Trenton Simpson.

What do you all think it’d cost to trade for him?  Would he demand an extension (like Devin White) if traded for?  

It the same situation as Ya Sin we traded for him on his final year he played well to resign but the injuries. Queen would have to prove his improvement was not a fluke.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jeremy408 said:

I'm not gonna lie... the guy that the Saints drafted in the 2nd I could see him being really good in the NFL. He's actually less of a project and the guy that we got.

I think project is miss used Wilson is going to be good out the gate, but with coaching the guy could be Bruce Smith or Reggie White. You acting like he has to learn to play football.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d prefer to keep Renfrow.  I’m holding out blissfully ignorant hope that McD won’t put him in the doghouse in favor of “his guys” and Renfrow will have an Good season.  But the realistic me acknowledges it’s probably time to trade him. 

Soon as Renfrow gone they going to pay Jacobs. And save cap space.

23 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Renfrow excels when he's allowed to fake left, right, back, backflip, double hop, and then turn around for a quick catch and then avoid two defenders for 13 yards.  Pretty sure McDonald's wants his WRs to just run the route the way it's designed, and I doubt he's willing to add some of the routes Renfrow is known for into his playbook.  So yeah, Renfrow's a goner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Renfrow excels when he's allowed to fake left, right, back, backflip, double hop, and then turn around for a quick catch and then avoid two defenders for 13 yards.  Pretty sure McDonald's wants his WRs to just run the route the way it's designed, and I doubt he's willing to add some of the routes Renfrow is known for into his playbook.  So yeah, Renfrow's a goner. 

Man, that conform or else mentality really does go from the HC all the way to the fanbase, don't it? Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think project is miss used Wilson is going to be good out the gate, but with coaching the guy could be Bruce Smith or Reggie White. You acting like he has to learn to play football.

as a run stopping base end yes. I dont think he'll do much in terms of pass rush

8 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Soon as Renfrow gone they going to pay Jacobs. And save cap space.

I respectfully disagree / have a different opinion.  

Jacobs already had a cap hold of 10M+ from the franchise tag.  We don’t need to save money by trading Renfrow to afford signing Jacobs to a multi year deal.  The first year cap hit will 99.99%
be lower than the franchise tag.  Almost every single contract has increasing cap hits year to year.  For example, Dalvin Cook signed a 5yr, 63M deal (12.6M APY) and his first year cap hit was 4.6m; Nick Chubb signed 3yr, 36m (12m APY) With first year cap of 5.2M; Derrick Henry signed a 4yr, 50M deal (12.5m APY) and had a 1st year cap hit of 6.0M, and Aaron Jones signed a 4yr, 48M deal (12M APY) and had a 1st year cap hit of 4.5M.  In feel it’s reasonable to assume Jacobs’ contract would most likely be 3-4 years and he of similar construction and pay.  Thus, signing Jacobs to a new deal would save roughly 4-5m on this years salary cap.

Trading Renfrow before 6/1 only saves 1.4M in cap space but after 6/1  it saves just under 7M.  We can certainly afford both players this year and next.  This isn’t a situation where paying Jacobs means we have too much money tied up in the offense.  We have 16.1m in cap space currently minus the 8.6m for the draft picks actual cap hit (15.3M total draft pool) so approximately 7.5m in “effective cap space”. https://www.spotrac.com/news/2023-nfl-team-draft-pools-1869/

I just don’t think the two moves are dependent on each other.  

What is your explanation as to why they are?  I’m open to hearing your reasoning.  Thank you.

• Like 3

Player for player trades are very hard to pull off and uncommon.  I think it’s unlikely we trade Renfrow for Queen or someone else for that matter.  I feel like it’s far more likely that if we do trade Renfrow it’d be to whatever team for a draft pick.  Then if we trade for a LB (or anyone for that matter) we send them a draft pick.  It’s probably unlikely that pick would be the pick we acquired for Renfrow for that matter.  What are the chances both deals are for the same compensation.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I respectfully disagree / have a different opinion.  

Jacobs already had a cap hold of 10M+ from the franchise tag.  We don’t need to save money by trading Renfrow to afford signing Jacobs to a multi year deal.  The first year cap hit will 99.99%
be lower than the franchise tag.  Almost every single contract has increasing cap hits year to year.  For example, Dalvin Cook signed a 5yr, 63M deal (12.6M APY) and his first year cap hit was 4.6m; Nick Chubb signed 3yr, 36m (12m APY) With first year cap of 5.2M; Derrick Henry signed a 4yr, 50M deal (12.5m APY) and had a 1st year cap hit of 6.0M, and Aaron Jones signed a 4yr, 48M deal (12M APY) and had a 1st year cap hit of 4.5M.  In feel it’s reasonable to assume Jacobs’ contract would most likely be 3-4 years and he of similar construction and pay.  Thus, signing Jacobs to a new deal would save roughly 4-5m on this years salary cap.

Trading Renfrow before 6/1 only saves 1.4M in cap space but after 6/1  it saves just under 7M.  We can certainly afford both players this year and next.  This isn’t a situation where paying Jacobs means we have too much money tied up in the offense.  We have 16.1m in cap space currently minus the 8.6m for the draft picks actual cap hit (15.3M total draft pool) so approximately 7.5m in “effective cap space”. https://www.spotrac.com/news/2023-nfl-team-draft-pools-1869/

I just don’t think the two moves are dependent on each other.  

What is your explanation as to why they are?  I’m open to hearing your reasoning.  Thank you.

I wasn't saying they were dependent on each other, it just seems like Renfrow is the odd man out. If that is their plan then they can spend more on this next wave of free agents. They don't have to hold back especially if the thought process is they will be making cap space later. I also already mentioned earlier they could actually lower Jacobs cap number this year if he gets a new deal as well.

18 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Man, that conform or else mentality really does go from the HC all the way to the fanbase, don't it? Lol

I'm not okay with it either.  I always thought HCs utilized their player's strengths. McDonald's only does it if their strength's fit his system.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

People need to calm down, teams are going start cutting veterans really soon.

we can fill some holes on the cheap.

It might be a little slower this year since they changed it to one cut down day.