Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The Chargers essentially played this game without Allen and Williams, if you want to play that game.  We were facing their bum WR's and couldn't stop them from scoring at will. 

Morrow is average and I am yet to be impressed with Arnette.  I was skeptical of that pick the minute it was made and so far he has shown that he didn't belong going in the 1st.  It was a panic pick after AJ Terrell was snagged by ATL.  I was hopeful we would land Terrell but that never happened. 

We all know Abrams shortcomings and Ferrell is certainly the player that was most missed.  He has been playing well as of late and not having him hurt us. 

It is a small sample but our yards allowed in regulation would rank 6th versus the league per game average and the points in regulation would be 15th.  Allen and Williams were nicked up but they played.  With that mind set I could say the Chargers defense sucks because we were down Carr, Ruggs, Renfrow, Williams, Incognito, and Jacobs is banged up.  Herbert had a good game and the back end looked bad.  But overall the defense played how an average defense in the NFL would.  On a short week Marinelli might not be able to fix players bad habits but he game planned in a way that was an improvement over Guenther.  Now I want to see it continue the next couple weeks but last night the defense did close to what we expect this group of players to do.  Some over preformed and some under preformed but on a whole I was happy with the improvement.  Pretty clear that Guenther was holding some players back.  If Marinelli can make our back ups better I want to see what the starters can do. Johnson is not garbage and Guyton did what he does which is get deep.  He had 52 of his 91 yards on 1 play.  He has 3 catches on 5 targets for 38 yards otherwise. He beat Nixon who just let him run by him like he thought they were playing zone.  When given the opportunity they perform because Herbert elevates his WRs.  You have to admit the defense played better than they have?

“There were… some consistent schematic issues that showed up week to week,” an opposing coach told The Athletic’s Ted Nguyen. “For example, the Raiders play with a ‘soft edge,’ meaning they have their defensive ends line up inside or crash inside of tight ends, which isn’t a bad strategy; but if no one is properly fitting the edge for the ends when they do this, it leads to easy outside runs.”

“We noticed they’d crash their end inside a lot but no one would fit off of him. So if we sealed the nickel, we could get outside and let their end take himself out of the play. I know they did that against Kansas City a lot, too.”

https://www.raidersbeat.com/opposing-coach-explained-a-notable-weakness-in-raiders-defensive-scheme-under-paul-guenther/

5 minutes ago, Dessie said:

This ‘soft edge’ is why Abram and Arnette have concussions. Someone needs to quickly figure it out that it’s not working. 

I'd guess the OLBs should be mainly responsible for setting the edges if the DEs are asked to fill inside.

14 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I'd guess the OLBs should be mainly responsible for setting the edges if the DEs are asked to fill inside.

Yeah but given we have under sized LBs that’s not a great fit either. 

Surely asking Nassib/Crosby and Ferrell to set the edge is a better idea? 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dessie said:

Yeah but given we have under sized LBs that’s not a great fit either. 

Surely asking Nassib/Crosby and Ferrell to set the edge is a better idea? 

I think a few people here kept giving Nassib and Crosby crap because they kept crashing inside and giving up the edge.  I guess we now know it was not the players choices but rather the scheme.  We still need more pieces but our run defense looked a lot better Thursday except for one 27 yard run by Eckler and one Hebert scramble on the next play for 12 yards.  The Chargers had 41 yards rushing with 6:16 left in the 4th and the run game was shutdown again after those 2 runs.  Afterwards they rushed 7 times for 14 yards.  Who knows what happens without the BS call on Kwiatkoski because that last play would have been 4th down.

Just read an article stating that this was the most pressure we have applied all year.  As people look deeper into what the defense did on Thursday the better Marinelli looks.  Even with all the injuries this game game down to TOs.  We should have won but Hebert looks like the real deal.  Hopefully what we did can be built upon so that we have at least an average defense.  I think if we use some high draft capital on the front seven and spend some more money on defense then we might have something special.  Let's see if Gruden is okay with this.

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Just read an article stating that this was the most pressure we have applied all year.  As people look deeper into what the defense did on Thursday the better Marinelli looks.  Even with all the injuries this game game down to TOs.  We should have won but Hebert looks like the real deal.  Hopefully what we did can be built upon so that we have at least an average defense.  I think if we use some high draft capital on the front seven and spend some more money on defense then we might have something special.  Let's see if Gruden is okay with this.

I read somewhere that the cap should be higher than expected this year.  Which helps, but we can absolutely trim a lot of fat from offense and allocate it on the other side of the ball.  Any serious (new) defensive coordinator would I'm sure demand it.  Or at least try to.  

1 minute ago, Totty said:

I read somewhere that the cap should be higher than expected this year.  Which helps, but we can absolutely trim a lot of fat from offense and allocate it on the other side of the ball.  Any serious (new) defensive coordinator would I'm sure demand it.  Or at least try to.  

If we wanted to really shake things up there is around $70 we could cut from players that have not lived up to their contracts.

• Like 1