Raiders Defense

Rolni

39 minutes ago, Geezy said:

we need better depth at S, Abram has free reign because who the hell are they going to replace him with? Way too undisciplined and is prone to give up cheap and easy TDs. We need someone who is going to bottle him up and hold him accountable. This crap is unacceptable. I think he can be a good player and has skills to play in the NFL, but he needs to lose the back yard football mentality and learn the nuances of the position. 

Spot on

Don’t get the that game didn’t mean anything for Abram take. I have been one of his biggest supporters here, but again in the Broncos game he showed a lack of awareness and basic knowledge of the defense they were playing on that Jeudy TD. It’s a cover 2 and his only job is to cover the deep middle and he doesn’t he stopped at the 20 yard line while Jeudy catches a ball that’s in Abrams area where he should be at. It doesn’t matter what the record is that type of mental mistakes matter when we have seen them happen over and over 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Man... I didn't know you slurped Abram so hard. 

Guy is a bust waiting to happen. Game doesn't translate to this era. He's a box safety on run downs in time. It will take a literal miracle to build him into a coverage player. He does not have the skills or instincts to be a safety in this day and age. 

Yeah, Abram sucks. He's probably one of my least favorite players. Dude is a liability in coverage, plays so reckless that he has hurt multiple players on our team, and talks crap like he's the greatest player ever. Easily the worst pick of the Grudock era. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Geezy said:

we need better depth at S, Abram has free reign because who the hell are they going to replace him with? Way too undisciplined and is prone to give up cheap and easy TDs. We need someone who is going to bottle him up and hold him accountable. This crap is unacceptable. I think he can be a good player and has skills to play in the NFL, but he needs to lose the back yard football mentality and learn the nuances of the position. 

If you're a former 1st round pick safety that still needs to learn how to play in coverage going into your third NFL season, things aren't looking too good for you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you're a former 1st round pick safety that still needs to learn how to play in coverage going into your third NFL season, things aren't looking too good for you. 

i mean he missed the first year, and hopefully with a years worth of on-field experience, hell realize hes hurting his team by playing so reckless. I still have hope, he has a skillset to work with, but its mainly between the ears for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Geezy said:

i mean he missed the first year, and hopefully with a years worth of on-field experience, hell realize hes hurting his team by playing so reckless. I still have hope, he has a skillset to work with, but its mainly between the ears for him. 

His issues date back to his days at Mississippi State though. During the pre draft process there were a lot of questions about how his style would translate because he was more of an enforcer/small linebacker than a true safety. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

His issues date back to his days at Mississippi State though. During the pre draft process there were a lot of questions about how his style would translate because he was more of an enforcer/small linebacker than a true safety. 

like many have said, hed be better served as a big nickel close to LOS type. He has talent to work with, we need a DC that can think outside the box and get the most out of guy like him and Littleton. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

like many have said, hed be better served as a big nickel close to LOS type. He has talent to work with, we need a DC that can think outside the box and get the most out of guy like him and Littleton. 

Agreed. He's basically a small LB and we'll have to get creative with how we use him. Not all hope is lost but he's going to have to get a lot better to be worthy of where he got picked.

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

I agree but with those limitations, he shouldn't have been drafted in the 1st.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. He's basically a small LB and we'll have to get creative with how we use him. Not all hope is lost but he's going to have to get a lot better to be worthy of where he got picked.

Ironically, Karl Joseph is showing to be the better cover player 🤔 

Abram still has time of course but he looks like he needs to learn a lot..... As you say, not all hope lost but it may be a steep hill to climb.

• Like 1

It’s effectively Abrams rookie year so I would cut him a lot of slack but the error on the Jeudy TD in the last game is a concern given the Chiefs game where he did the same thing. Not learning from his mistakes is a worry.

Thought he had settled down a bit from Marinelli taking over but he looked too eager to try and make the big play against the Broncos on the Jeudy TD.

Just do your job as someone famously said.  

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

well things are probably looking good for the player, cause youre getting that first round pick salary and cant read coverage...
but things definitely arent looking good for the team that drafted them lol

You could argue all our prospects on defense should have been 2nd round picks 

Ferrell- second rounder- stout against the run, but lacks athletic ability. Has to win with technique and doesn’t finish...

Mullen- second rounder- actually drafted him around his value 

Arnette- second rounder- not going go deep in this one, but was projected 2nd who hasn’t shown he’s worth that 1st round status 

Abram- second rounder- beast hitter, seems like a box safety. Until he shows his coverage ability should have been a day2 pick.