Raiders Defense

Rolni

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Just thinking about this defence and it seems to me we have a roster full of rotation or solid type players without the impact or keystone player to set them off. For example, the Rams have Donald and we signed Littleton who was feeding off him. The Buccs have Suh, Vea, Barrett and JPP and we signed Nassib who was feeding off them. The Cowboys had Lawrence and Quinn and we signed Collins who was feeding off them, The Bears have Mack and Akiem Hicks and we signed Kwit who was benefitting off them and and on and on.

Now, some of those guys are decent players but I feel we need to sign the catalyst player not the other guys who are benefitting off of them this off season. We absolutely need that big dog in there that makes everyone else better be that through draft or FA or both.

This is why some advocated trading for Leo Williams of Buckner at the time. It could have been the catalyst to unlock others along the front 7. 

Mike Mayock mentioned this in a press conference recently. You need to have an impact guy on all 3 levels of your defense. Currently, they lack those players. Littleton I think they hope can be one. But they need to secure the 3T and FS to those units. Here is hoping the right FAs become available.

I worry about DT. You need an impact urgently. The draft is fine, but rookie DTs take some seasoning. Typically 2-3 seasons to really shine. They really need something there in FA to transform that unit. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is why some advocated trading for Leo Williams of Buckner at the time. It could have been the catalyst to unlock others along the front 7. 

Mike Mayock mentioned this in a press conference recently. You need to have an impact guy on all 3 levels of your defense. Currently, they lack those players. Littleton I think they hope can be one. But they need to secure the 3T and FS to those units. Here is hoping the right FAs become available.

I worry about DT. You need an impact urgently. The draft is fine, but rookie DTs take some seasoning. Typically 2-3 seasons to really shine. They really need something there in FA to transform that unit. 

Yeh, I think you're right, particularly regarding the 3T which is why I'd advocate for drafting a guy like Nixon (or whoever) with high upside and bringing in a guy like Geno Atkins or JJ Watt to take away the need for the rookie to start immediately and be so crucial a piece. We can ease them in and let them learn and absorb off a great player over maybe 2 seasons. At least that is the theory 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I think you're right, particularly regarding the 3T which is why I'd advocate for drafting a guy like Nixon (or whoever) with high upside and bringing in a guy like Geno Atkins or JJ Watt to take away the need for the rookie to start immediately and be so crucial a piece. We can ease them in and let them learn and absorb off a great player over maybe 2 seasons. At least that is the theory 😁

JJ Watt makes so much sense if Houston lets him go. He can still play, brings big time leadership and would be a Gruden guy who's trusted. Him plus a top draft picks at Dline would go a long way.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

JJ Watt makes so much sense if Houston lets him go. He can still play, brings big time leadership and would be a Gruden guy who's trusted. Him plus a top draft picks at Dline would go a long way.

The kind of signing we need.  We need to go at the DL hard.  Can't expect to throw feints and score a TKO.  I would throw the bank at the DL this offseason.  Have people on this forum almost complaining about how much we spend on the DL (even though we just had a 40-50 sack season).  Lol.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:28 AM, big_palooka said:

Agreed. Would be like a better version of Justin Tuck when we signed him early on during Mack's career. But I don't really see any incentive of signing with us. Especially when he chase a ring with his hometown team in the Packers, with his brother in Pittsburgh, or with the Brady Bunch down in Tampa. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Would be like a better version of Justin Tuck when we signed him early on during Mack's career. But I don't really see any incentive of signing with us. Especially when he chase a ring with his hometown team in the Packers, with his brother in Pittsburgh, or with the Brady Bunch down in Tampa. 

A couple incentives I see, he would be the face of the franchise here in a brand new NFL city which may be a big selling point, money & taxes are always incentives and its just such an Al Davis type signing that I think Mark and Gruden could sell him on the leadership, main man of the D role. Of course that doesn't mean he's likely to sign or even if we're in the running but I bet there are one or two teams he considers for whatever reasons that are not being mooted.

• Like 1

My predictions for the players on this defense is Arnette will play nickel CB. Ferrell will see a lot of time at 3T. Maxx will move into the LEO position. Which I’m very interested in seeing. Gus likes to stand up the LEO at times and I think Maxx could really fit in well. 

I. Johnson would not be surprised to see him start if they don’t get a Sherman or another vet CB. Johnson has that length that Gus likes outside. 

Edited by agarcia34

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

A couple incentives I see, he would be the face of the franchise here in a brand new NFL city which may be a big selling point, money & taxes are always incentives and its just such an Al Davis type signing that I think Mark and Gruden could sell him on the leadership, main man of the D role. Of course that doesn't mean he's likely to sign or even if we're in the running but I bet there are one or two teams he considers for whatever reasons that are not being mooted.

Seeing this I was thinking, if we do go for him, we essentially have to guarantee that we are going to address the defense.  We have to essentially promise him that we are going to revamp the crap out of it and sign 2-3 big name players at least.  I could see him wanting that assurance if he were to consider signing with us.

11 hours ago, Jerry said:

Seeing this I was thinking, if we do go for him, we essentially have to guarantee that we are going to address the defense.  We have to essentially promise him that we are going to revamp the crap out of it and sign 2-3 big name players at least.  I could see him wanting that assurance if he were to consider signing with us.

For all his faults, One thing I think Gruden would be good at is using his charisma and 'selling' his vision and the team to potential FAs. He seems to be well liked by players and they seem to buy in to the enthusiasm at least initially....... I'd love to be in a meeting with Gruden and Mark Davis, I have a feeling it would be like no meeting I've ever been part of 😁😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

For all his faults, One thing I think Gruden would be good at is using his charisma and 'selling' his vision and the team to potential FAs. He seems to be well liked by players and they seem to buy in to the enthusiasm at least initially....... I'd love to be in a meeting with Gruden and Mark Davis, I have a feeling it would be like no meeting I've ever been part of 😁😁

I think a lot of meetings with Al Davis would have been interesting to watch.  I always remember players talking about his aura or how him being present at times made them work harder.  One of these days I'm going to sit down and try to find players talking about Al Davis.  I'm such a huge Raiders' history buff sometimes lol.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 5:19 AM, big_palooka said:

Obviously it's a long shot but my dream case scenario would be to add Leonard Williams and John Johnson 3 in free agency and then draft Zaven Collins at #17.

17 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

My predictions for the players on this defense is Arnette will play nickel CB. Ferrell will see a lot of time at 3T. Maxx will move into the LEO position. Which I’m very interested in seeing. Gus likes to stand up the LEO at times and I think Maxx could really fit in well. 

I. Johnson would not be surprised to see him start if they don’t get a Sherman or another vet CB. Johnson has that length that Gus likes outside. 

Ferrell looks a good fit for the 4T in Bradley’s defense then can move inside. I’m not totally convinced that Maxx fits the LEO role tbh, but would be good for us if he can.  From FA Carl Lawson would be a good LEO for me. Although with Nassib, Crosby and Ferrell I think we might look at other positions first in FA. 

Hurst can play 3T and rotate with Ferrell. Hankins if we keep him is the NT.

SAM is a key position for this D and it will be interesting to see what we do to fill that position. In the draft Ossai looks a good fit with Collins. Vet help might include Ingram who playing there for the Chargers. 

CB is another position where we might look for vet help. I agree Arnette looks more of a nickel CB so I’d be looking at someone like William Jackson, he’s got the H/W/S that fits the cover 3. We need vet help in the secondary badly.

Hopefully we can grab one of the top FAs, Simmons, Williams for FS, which is a huge need.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dessie said:

Ferrell looks a good fit for the 4T in Bradley’s defense then can move inside. I’m not totally convinced that Maxx fits the LEO role tbh, but would be good for us if he can.  From FA Carl Lawson would be a good LEO for me. Although with Nassib, Crosby and Ferrell I think we might look at other positions first in FA. 

Hurst can play 3T and rotate with Ferrell. Hankins if we keep him is the NT.

SAM is a key position for this D and it will be interesting to see what we do to fill that position. In the draft Ossai looks a good fit with Collins. Vet help might include Ingram who playing there for the Chargers. 

CB is another position where we might look for vet help. I agree Arnette looks more of a nickel CB so I’d be looking at someone like William Jackson, he’s got the H/W/S that fits the cover 3. We need vet help in the secondary badly.

Hopefully we can grab one of the top FAs, Simmons, Williams for FS, which is a huge need.  

Yeah that base 5T/4T strong side DE role looks good for Ferrell and he will play 4T/3T in nickel/dime like you said.

I don't see Maxx as a LEO and I said earlier that I think he should be Ferrell's back up in base and our strong side DE in nickel/dime.

We need at least 1 true LEO IMO. C.Lawson could be a solid option and then we need to draft one too. We could try to get Yannick, but he might be too expensive.

SAM is not a key position in Bradley's D nowdays. It is not that Seattle D he used to run. Check the Cahrgers SAM position and usage. We only need a solid 4-3 LB, we don't need that hybrid Bruce Irvin type guy.

Williams will be too expensive IMO, but as agarcia34 suggested I.Johnson could be an nteresting inhouse candidate for that outside role. Arnette should develope too, so we might put Mullen and Arnette out as our starters and then move Arnette inside and put Johnson outside in 3CB sets. Amik Robertson can compete for that NCB role, maybe even Nixon...that young CB group is solid and Bradley with Milus should be able to develope them enough. We just need to put some pass rush in front of them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Yeah that base 5T/4T strong side DE role looks good for Ferrell and he will play 4T/3T in nickel/dime like you said.

I don't see Maxx as a LEO and I said earlier that I think he should be Ferrell's back up in base and our strong side DE in nickel/dime.

We need at least 1 true LEO IMO. C.Lawson could be a solid option and then we need to draft one too. We could try to get Yannick, but he might be too expensive.

SAM is not a key position in Bradley's D nowdays. It is not that Seattle D he used to run. Check the Cahrgers SAM position and usage. We only need a solid 4-3 LB, we don't need that hybrid Bruce Irvin type guy.

Williams will be too expensive IMO, but as agarcia34 suggested I.Johnson could be an nteresting inhouse candidate for that outside role. Arnette should develope too, so we might put Mullen and Arnette out as our starters and then move Arnette inside and put Johnson outside in 3CB sets. Amik Robertson can compete for that NCB role, maybe even Nixon...that young CB group is solid and Bradley with Milus should be able to develope them enough. We just need to put some pass rush in front of them!

I want to bring in 1 vet at CB, DT, and FS. DE would also be nice, but it's not a must. More so if it's an impact guy.