Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

5. They think Mullen will be good, but have some doubts about Arnette, since he played mostly press man in college. Ted thinks early struggles, while Marcus suggest NCB role and a veteran need on the outside. I think Arnette will get his chance and I think we might not have the money to bring in a good veteran CB and I would rather let the young guys develope, then bring in an old guy like Sherman to take snaps away...would be similar to the Witten situation for me...

Then I think we go after a FS hard. 

What we did in the GM mock was go after Hooker at FS, Sign Desmond King for the slot and sign Ahkello Witherspoon to play opposite of Mullen.  Hooker is cheap because of injuries but we have King who can back him up at the same time be one of the better slot corners in the league.  Witherspoon is a better fit for Bradley's defense and allows us some wiggle room with Arnette.  Arnette will be the 3rd CB and at the same time back up King in the slot.  If we decide that Arnette is not a good fit we can also look to move him since Johnson could fill in for him.  The best part is all of this allowed us to drop Joyner and the net cost was just a few million dollars.  We still need some depth at the S position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

What we did in the GM mock was go after Hooker at FS, Sign Desmond King for the slot and sign Ahkello Witherspoon to play opposite of Mullen.  Hooker is cheap because of injuries but we have King who can back him up at the same time be one of the better slot corners in the league.  Witherspoon is a better fit for Bradley's defense and allows us some wiggle room with Arnette.  Arnette will be the 3rd CB and at the same time back up King in the slot.  If we decide that Arnette is not a good fit we can also look to move him since Johnson could fill in for him.  The best part is all of this allowed us to drop Joyner and the net cost was just a few million dollars.  We still need some depth at the S position.

"What we did is literally a dream scenario."  Lol.  FA couldn't go better than what you were able to pull off man.  Just too many good things happening to our defense.  We would be extremely lucky for any of those moves to work out.  Any of those players.  Really good job though man, I really need to send in a letter of recommendation on your behalf to Mike Mayock.  He could use some of your pointers/advice.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

"What we did is literally a dream scenario."  Lol.  FA couldn't go better than what you were able to pull off man.  Just too many good things happening to our defense.  We would be extremely lucky for any of those moves to work out.  Any of those players.  Really good job though man, I really need to send in a letter of recommendation on your behalf to Mike Mayock.  He could use some of your pointers/advice.

I would appreciate it.  I believe Hooker is not going to get a huge contract with the injury risk so we just need to pay him a little more.  King was drafted by Bradley in 2017 so there is a connection there.  Witherspoon had to come off the bench last year so we just need to pay him a little and make him a starting CB.  None of these are crazy signings and the easiest part is completely within our control and that is getting rid of Joyner.    Just out of curiosity how much do you think Witherspoon, King, and Hooker will get? We gave:

King - 4yr/$37.5 (Back loaded with a decent signing bonus. First 2 years are essentially guaranteed)

Witherspoon - 1yr/$3.1

Hooker - 2yr/$3.4

29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would appreciate it.  I believe Hooker is not going to get a huge contract with the injury risk so we just need to pay him a little more.  King was drafted by Bradley in 2017 so there is a connection there.  Witherspoon had to come off the bench last year so we just need to pay him a little and make him a starting CB.  None of these are crazy signings and the easiest part is completely within our control and that is getting rid of Joyner.    Just out of curiosity how much do you think Witherspoon, King, and Hooker will get? We gave:

King - 4yr/$37.5 (Back loaded with a decent signing bonus. First 2 years are essentially guaranteed)

Witherspoon - 1yr/$3.1

Hooker - 2yr/$3.4

I personally think Witherspoon and Hooker will get more than that.  But I wouldn't ask me, I'm apparently willing to overpay for players that should improve our defense.

• Like 1

Question. 

If we get a good single high safety.

Abram in the box most snaps.

A 3tec that can actually make some positive plays. 

Constant play calling and better level of coaching, especially with communication and understanding.

How much better could we be?

That's before any drafting too.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're closer to middle of the pack then bottom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

need to come out of FA with top 4 FS. especially since draft class is a little weak at FS. 

Draft LB/Dlineman in 1st

I dont think there is a top 15 FS, but the group of them are all pretty stellar.  I think 2-3 really solid FSs this draft.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've already been linked to Marcus Williams and John Johnson III as potential targets so hopefully we can land one of those two. 

I think we will. Gru and Mayock seem to zero in on one impact FA.

Last year it was Littleton, who I still think is an excellent player. Year before, it was trent brown (who we'll see on).

This year I think it is John Johnson III or Marcus Williams.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we will. Gru and Mayock seem to zero in on one impact FA.

Last year it was Littleton, who I still think is an excellent player. Year before, it was trent brown (who we'll see on).

This year I think it is John Johnson III or Marcus Williams.

According to Vic Tafur, Littleton was a bit of an afterthought when they missed on Byron Jones:

There was a lot of buzz when the Raiders signed Littleton last offseason, but he has been largely invisible. Is that Paul Guenther’s fault, Littleton’s or maybe the front office being all-in on cornerback Byron Jones in free agency and then making a quick pivot when Jones signed with the Dolphins and not worrying enough if Littleton was a good scheme fit? It seems the Rams realized Littleton wasn’t a three-down linebacker when they let him walk. 

I read someplace else I can't find, that when they spoke to Guenther about Littleton, his response was luke warm as if he wasn't overly excited about the player. Seems it was a bad fit for his scheme from the jump.

The bad fit was playing him at SAM. Chase and tackle LBs aren't meant to take on blocks, they need to run to the ball and cover. I wonder if that would have been the case had Marquel Lee been healthy.

Also Tafur is full of it, Littleton was playing 95% of the Rams snaps the last 2 seasons. But they realized he wasn't a 3 down LB? Sure. They just had very limited cap room and had to plan for Ramsey's new contract.

55 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

The bad fit was playing him at SAM. Chase and tackle LBs aren't meant to take on blocks, they need to run to the ball and cover. I wonder if that would have been the case had Marquel Lee been healthy.

Also Tafur is full of it, Littleton was playing 95% of the Rams snaps the last 2 seasons. But they realized he wasn't a 3 down LB? Sure. They just had very limited cap room and had to plan for Ramsey's new contract.

I agree. I still find it eye opening how ineffective he was for his perceived talent. Missed tackles and poor coverage you can't put on scheme alone, some of that is the player. 

He had zero impact. And even though he looked competent late in the year, it was a far cry from the impact LB he was paid to be. He really needs to bounce back under Bradley.  

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. I still find it eye opening how ineffective he was for his perceived talent. Missed tackles and poor coverage you can't put on scheme alone, some of that is the player. 

He had zero impact. And even though he looked competent late in the year, it was a far cry from the impact LB he was paid to be. He really needs to bounce back under Bradley.  

New scheme, no OTAs, poor DC, out of position, less talent around him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

According to Vic Tafur, Littleton was a bit of an afterthought when they missed on Byron Jones:

I read someplace else I can't find, that when they spoke to Guenther about Littleton, his response was luke warm as if he wasn't overly excited about the player. Seems it was a bad fit for his scheme from the jump.

Seemed like the plan was to sign Jones and draft a LB at 19. But when we missed on Jones we signed Littleton and drafted Arnette.

We were so close to having Byron Jones and Patrick Queen.