Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Asking a defense to hold a 10 point lead in the nfl for 3 qtrs is insane Imo.

As a coach you never take your foot off the gas. You make the other team forfeit or tap out. You never let the clock be your friend. That’s our problem we lack killer instinct. we let teams have chance after chance to come back.

it’s insane to expect the defense to stop a team 5 times in a row in the 2nd half but not expect the offense to get 5 first downs in the same half.

literally a handful of first downs from our high powered offense would have us in the playoffs right now

I don't disagree with any of that.  Wasn't the point.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is part of why I am down on Carr. This has been an issue through his career. Everyone here called Gruden conservative with a lead. Now they are calling JMD the same. Maybe it's the QB that lacks the killer instinct?

I'm a firm believer teams will take the reflection of their leader at QB. And in my view, I see good play design. Guys are always open and the QB is not executing.  

You keep defending the coaches, but I don't know how you can.  You want to say Carr has always been this way, but the numbers say he's having his worst numbers ever, under any coaching staff, in the 2nd half, this season.

If he was average or below average or whatever you want to label him in his career, he's been 2 steps below that this season with Josh. That's not the same old Carr, that's worse than he's ever been Carr.

If you don't believe it has anything to do with Josh, then the only explanation is that Carr has regressed.  I don't see that.  I see the same up and down QB that we've had for most of his career, but this year he's not captain comeback like he's always been. That's the biggest difference IMO.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Asking a defense to hold a 10 point lead in the nfl for 3 qtrs is insane Imo.

As a coach you never take your foot off the gas. You make the other team forfeit or tap out. You never let the clock be your friend. That’s our problem we lack killer instinct. we let teams have chance after chance to come back.

it’s insane to expect the defense to stop a team 5 times in a row in the 2nd half but not expect the offense to get 5 first downs in the same half.

literally a handful of first downs from our high powered offense would have us in the playoffs right now

This is part of why I am down on Carr. This has been an issue through his career. Everyone here called Gruden conservative with a lead. Now they are calling JMD the same. Maybe it's the QB that lacks the killer instinct?

I'm a firm believer teams will take the reflection of their leader at QB. And in my view, I see good play design. Guys are always open and the QB is not executing.  

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@true2form does have a good point above though, Carr has always been very clutch at the end of games and this year that has seemed to have disappeared. I have no idea why! Could be coaching of course, could be the QB himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 1:19 AM, Darbsk said:

@true2form does have a good point above though, Carr has always been very clutch at the end of games and this year that has seemed to have disappeared. I have no idea why! Could be coaching of course, could be the QB himself.

Bryan Edwards production splits last season where he basically had 0 production in the 1st-3rd quarters and was excellent in the 4th / OT kind of paint the picture with Carr, imo. He's very conservative taking shots and throwing into tight windows most of the time but is/was more willing to take YOLO shots when he has/had too. 

I also don't think that our losses this year are really on Carr's lack of ability in the clutch. It's just what always seems to happen with teams that have a bunch of clutch wins one year, those games typically go against them the next year. Even this year, against the Titans Waller screwed us popping the ball up for an INT, against the Cardinals Renfrow fumbled in OT, and against the Chiefs Adams/Renfrow ran into each other on the final play. If you shift those three plays we would've went 9-8 and likely snuck into the wild card.

• Like 2

Going into the offseason

DE - Crosby | Koonce

DT - Nichols | Butler

DT - Farrell 

DE - Jones

LB - Deablo

LB - Masterson

CB - Hobbs | Hall 

CB - Robertson | Webb

S - Moehrig

S

I only feel "comfortable" with Crosby, Chandler, Hobbs, and Moehrig as starters going into next year. We need a major overhaul at DT, LB, CB, and S. 

Edited by NYRaider

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Going into the offseason

DE - Crosby | Koonce

DT - Nichols | Butler

DT - Farrell 

DE - Jones

LB - Deablo

LB - Masterson

CB - Hobbs | Hall 

CB - Robertson | Webb

S - Moehrig

S

I only feel "comfortable" with Crosby, Chandler, Hobbs, and Moehrig as starters going into next year. We need a major overhaul at DT, LB, CB, and S. 

Agreed, we need IMO to bring back Perryman, Billings and Harmon who are all solid starters and know the scheme now. Harmon I think will be a good role model for any rookies we bring in too at DB. We need to desperately add a high quality penetrating DT and the others have to earn their roster spots. Maybe the rookie DTs improve but they are nowhere near starter material currently.

I’d add another DE in the draft as that could be quite deep. CB would be another position I’d look to add through the draft. 

That would mean us looking to fill LB depth in free agency, S depth in free agency and maybe CB too.

Just now, Darbsk said:

Agreed, we need IMO to bring back Perryman, Billings and Harmon who are all solid starters and know the scheme now. Harmon I think will be a good role model for any rookies we bring in too at DB. We need to desperately add a high quality penetrating DT and the others have to earn their roster spots. Maybe the rookie DTs improve but they are nowhere near starter material currently.

I’d add another DE in the draft as that could be quite deep. CB would be another position I’d look to add through the draft. 

That would mean us looking to fill LB depth in free agency, S depth in free agency and maybe CB too.

I'd bring all three of those guys back for sure. Rock Ya-Sin as well, as long as his contract isn't huge. 

I think one of my ideal situations would be to resign Perryman, Billings, RYS, Harmon, and Tillery. 

Sign Da'Ron Payne, Drue Tranquill, Sean Murphy-Bunting, and Julian Love in free agency. 

Draft Tyree Wilson and Drew Sanders with our first two picks. 

Tranquill / Sanders would give us the juice that we've desperately needed at LB for years. Payne / Wilson would give us two versatile top tier DL to pair with Crosby going forward. SMB and Love would make our secondary a lot deeper and more versatile. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd bring all three of those guys back for sure. Rock Ya-Sin as well, as long as his contract isn't huge. 

I think one of my ideal situations would be to resign Perryman, Billings, RYS, Harmon, and Tillery. 

Sign Da'Ron Payne, Drue Tranquill, Sean Murphy-Bunting, and Julian Love in free agency. 

Tranquill / Sanders would give us the juice that we've desperately needed at LB for years. Payne / Wilson would give us two versatile top tier DL to pair with Crosby going forward. SMB and Love would make our secondary a lot deeper and more versatile. 

Ah, I forgot about The Rock, yeh I’d bring him back too. Tillery I can live with on passing downs only if he’ll come back on a rotation level salary.

DaRon Payne would be a huge addition, loved him in the draft process and he’s more than lived up to his draft position. I’ll have to check the upcoming potential free agents as I don’t want us to go the bargain bucket route at DT again like we did with the guy from the Cowboys who did nothing or the few we had last year or Nichols this year. This is one position we should address properly and get it settled for 5 to 6 years.

LB is a position I would go bargain bin on if (and only if) we can get the DLine sorted. I don’t think we’ll have cap space or funds for every position so that would be the one I’d skimp on if we had to.

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

DaRon Payne would be a huge addition, loved him in the draft process and he’s more than lived up to his draft position. I’ll have to check the upcoming potential free agents as I don’t want us to go the bargain bucket route at DT again like we did with the guy from the Cowboys who did nothing or the few we had last year or Nichols this year. This is one position we should address properly and get it settled for 5 to 6 years.

LB is a position I would go bargain bin on if (and only if) we can get the DLine sorted. I don’t think we’ll have cap space or funds for every position so that would be the one I’d skimp on if we had to.

The best FA DT's are: Da'Ron Payne, Jason Hargrave, and Dalvin Tomlinson. 

I don't think we'll have to spend big to improve at LB and there are a couple decent prospects. I love Tranquill and IIRC the Chargers aren't in a great spot financially so they may have to let some guys walk. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 4:21 AM, NYRaider said:

Payne is probably going to cost 18M+ per season.  I'd be willing to pay it.  Just wanted to share that fact.  That's a lot of money towards one player.

Da'Ron Payne Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

On 1/25/2023 at 6:21 AM, NYRaider said:

Glad someone else on here see’s tranquill as a decent FA. Overall NY, I like what you’re Layin down there. Wilson and sanders would help our D immensely imo. Great players and great versatility. 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jerry said:

Payne is probably going to cost 18M+ per season.  I'd be willing to pay it.  Just wanted to share that fact.  That's a lot of money towards one player.

Da'Ron Payne Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

This or something similar is the most important part of the off-season.  The long term QB might end up being something we see resolve in 2024.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:
17 hours ago, Jerry said:

This or something similar is the most important part of the off-season.  The long term QB might end up being something we see resolve in 2024

I think this draft has a few potential big players inside but I don’t think many at all will be day 1 starters and make a difference straight way. They may take a year or two, guys like Roy, Dexter, Kancey, Pickens all look like they need seasoning to me. That’s part of the trouble with DT, it’s unusual a rookie makes a big impact straight away.