Worst commentators in NFL history?

y*so*blu

I don't know of enough bad NFL commentators to put up a poll, but maybe you folks can educate me.

My own least favorite team working today would have to be Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. Buck knows what to say and how to say it, but he can't seem to muster any excitement or enthusiasm for the games except on rare occasions (like the second Minneapolis Miracle). Aikman is on autopilot and, like Phil Simms before his replacement, says stuff that just goes in one ear and out the other. These guys are not interesting to listen to and I don't know why FOX insists on using them year after year after year.

Paul Maguire is one former commentator I've heard very little of, but in the one game I saw him call--an early 90s playoff clash between the Oilers and Jets--he sounded like a blithering idiot. I don't know if he'd had too much to drink or what the deal was, but he had an obnoxious voice and contributed almost nothing important or informative to that broadcast.

I'm sure there are worse guys out there but that's my two cents.

Most of them. 

There’s a serious problem with giving former players these jobs. Most of them are terrible. Just because you were skilled at football doesn’t make you a gifted or entertaining speaker. Yes I want someone who knowledgeable on football but I’ll take a middle ground of knowledge/solid speaker/entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Like it or not, I think Joe Buck is the best in the biz.

I don't hate Joe Buck like most people seem to.  He's not great, but I don't think he's awful either.  I think Witten is a lot worse, but maybe I'm just used to Joe Buck's style and it doesn't bother me.

Archived