NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Link? I follow the Giants extensively and everyone who had a clue kind of knew they were going to take Barkley for a while. Kim Jones was all over it for months. Gettleman in a pre-draft press conference dropped hints that "you really need to like a QB to take him. You can't take one just to take one" and "he already had in mind a gold jacket guy" and he raved about Saquon.

You'd have to dig through the draft rumor thread from last year.  They were linked heavily to Saquon early on, and then there were rumblings that they weren't in on Barkley as much as they were and it was meant to convince Cleveland to take Barkley 1st.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Any rumors of late picking teams wanting to trade down? I don’t see Cleveland trading a 2020 pick, but I can see them trading a bunch of picks this year for a late 1st and potential day 1 starter in the secondary.

I could see Houston flipping down if the top OL guys go quickly.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Modern college offenses combined with shorter pro camp/contact practices and you have a perfect storm of young OL who aren’t ready or able to make that usual immediate impact.

Yup.  I'm not sure that any position group benefits more from contact drills than OL do.  You can drill individual traits and parts of the job, but when your job is "stop the guys across from you from getting to the QB" or "move the guys in front of you out of the way of your RB," it's kind of difficult to fine tune muscle memory and get the reps you need when you can't actually line up across from those guys in front of you and hit them.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Supposedly this was discovered during his physical before he participated in the drills at the combine. Docs cleared him to participate even with the issue, which is important since they've been known to send people home. Impossible to tell exactly how much or if this drops him at all; all it takes for one team to like him and their docs to clear him for him to still go top-10. What is encouraging though is that the combine docs cleared him. IMO, this won't hurt his projected draft position as of right now. I still expect him to go top-10. It sounds minor.

Honestly, I'm not even sure it necessarily affects him in anything but the way that certain guarantees in his contract get structured - and even that may not happen (given the premium put on the position he plays if a team buys in hard on him) or it may just end up being something that he and his agent are able to manipulate to get him into a more preferable situation.  Is that a shade dishonest?  Probably.  But most of these young edge rushers would rather play on a team where there's an established top-tier or near-top-tier edge rusher because, let's be real, it makes their job easier, their transition easier, and - generally speaking - they tend to put up bigger splash stats earlier on in those situations.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Honestly, I'm not even sure it necessarily affects him in anything but the way that certain guarantees in his contract get structured - and even that may not happen (given the premium put on the position he plays if a team buys in hard on him) or it may just end up being something that he and his agent are able to manipulate to get him into a more preferable situation.  Is that a shade dishonest?  Probably.  But most of these young edge rushers would rather play on a team where there's an established top-tier or near-top-tier edge rusher because, let's be real, it makes their job easier, their transition easier, and - generally speaking - they tend to put up bigger splash stats earlier on in those situations.

Purposefully amplifying a minor medical condition your client has as an agent does not seem like a very good move, and I seriously doubt that is the case.

I think it's a lot more likely that a team leaked "Sweat has a heart condition" (which sounds real scary) in order to try to precipitate a guy falling to them.  I mean, Star Lotulelei had this sort of thing flagged at the combine and he's been (medically) fine for the last 5 years.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Purposefully amplifying a minor medical condition your client has as an agent does not seem like a very good move, and I seriously doubt that is the case.

No one's saying amplifying it.  Rather, being more flexible on willingness to allow guarantees in rookie contract to be tied to matters relating to the heart condition.  These kind of things are discussed before players are ever selected.  There will be teams (simply because they'll believe they can) who will want to and try to build-in fail-safes into the contract of a player like this to protect them in the (unlikely) event this condition would force a premature retirement before the rookie deal is up.  It's the same thing with insurance companies and pre-existing conditions.  I'm simply saying that for teams which the player and his agent might consider "less desirable" (those that have a lesser history of paying top market-rate to their players on second contracts, those who franchise tag multiple years rather than actually committing to multi-year deals, or even those that don't put the player in a better position to succeed and get further endorsement deals/$$$ compared to others who have expressed high interest), the willingness to be flexible on those concessions, or to not insist that the signing bonus is fully guaranteed and not subject to repayment (even if they don't expect it to be an issue, it's still a bargaining chip) in the event of premature retirement.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The "closest" comparison would have been when the Chiefs moved up for Patrick Mahomes.  The Chiefs gave up their FRP (#27), 3rd round pick (#91), and a FRP in 2018.  Some of that is the "QB bonus", but it's probably taking more than a 2nd round pick to move up.

This.  Even last year, Buffalo gave up 53 and 56 to move from 12 to 7.  While there is obviously some "QB bonus" in these deals, it's going to be expensive.  I would think at least a pair of 2nds or a FRP next year.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

No one's saying amplifying it.  Rather, being more flexible on willingness to allow guarantees in rookie contract to be tied to matters relating to the heart condition.  These kind of things are discussed before players are ever selected.  There will be teams (simply because they'll believe they can) who will want to and try to build-in fail-safes into the contract of a player like this to protect them in the (unlikely) event this condition would force a premature retirement before the rookie deal is up.  It's the same thing with insurance companies and pre-existing conditions.  I'm simply saying that for teams which the player and his agent might consider "less desirable" (those that have a lesser history of paying top market-rate to their players on second contracts, those who franchise tag multiple years rather than actually committing to multi-year deals, or even those that don't put the player in a better position to succeed and get further endorsement deals/$$$ compared to others who have expressed high interest), the willingness to be flexible on those concessions, or to not insist that the signing bonus is fully guaranteed and not subject to repayment (even if they don't expect it to be an issue, it's still a bargaining chip) in the event of premature retirement.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I still think that probably isn't the case. @PossibleCabbage is probably right. We know that happens all the time.

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If the 49ers go Josh Allen and Bosa falls into the Jets laps at 3, the Jets would be one of the luckiest teams in the last decade draft wise to have Bosa and Darnold fall into their laps back to back drafts.

I'd think the #2 pick would be shopped around and sold to the highest bidder. If the Jets want to lock in their chances at Bosa, I'd recommend they check out a recent 2017 draft day trade with Chicago. 

Archived