NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The thing about Tua that I think is going to get nitpicked to death by NFL staffs, fairly or unfairly but you can damn well be sure it's going to happen is that he's a lefty.  It's something that's enough of an anomaly in the league that it's just not something coaches have to deal with that often (and it's not as simple as Madden where you magically flip the play and every other player in automation is able to correspond without any issue).  Throw in that his height will be an issue all the way up until at least the combine measurements.  Etc.  Etc.

Oh the lefty thing has already crossed my mind as well. I'd be lying if I said why I wasn't sure why left-handed QBs don't succeed in this league. If I'm not mistaken (and I haven't looked it up lately), I thought people said the flight of the ball differs from right to left handed and since the league is all righties, it causes a problem. I am left-handed but I played baseball my entire life. We are the most sought after pitchers due to the natural movement of the ball when we throw it. I can only assume the same is said for a football as well. I never played WR though so I have nothing to base this off of as far as personal experiences go.

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, we knew "he's probably fine".  We did not know, however, that the initial diagnosis that got him flagged at the combine was erroneous.

The concern about arrhythmia and pro sports is completely overblown unless it's a ventricular arrhythmia.   With ablation procedures with atrial fibrillation and other non-VT-VF related producing conditions, the risk is trivial.   

Once the diagnosis was atrial fibrillation with Sweat, the pathway to playing a full NFL career was certain.  Frankly, the only reason it's a thing is the US culture of CYA.  In other countries like Canada and in Europe, it's a non-issue - no one gets tagged with a career-threatening risk.   

Daniel Jones is a tough one to read. His team was maybe even worse than Josh Allen's last year. Maybe the players weren't worse, but the teams they played were so much better. Duke's OL was incredibly bad. I loved what I saw from Jones in terms of toughness and intangibles. He's got size and has shown the ability to be accurate from within the pocket and on the run when he wasn't being absolutely abused. It's sad that they couldn't find 1 decent player to pair him up with in that offense. They were literally vomit-worthy aside from Jones.

Tough evaluation because the team around him created nightmares for him every game. But there are glimpses of excellence in his play both as a runner and a passer. Plus the dude has always been a great athlete and an incredibly tough and cerebral player.

It's a tough bet, but I'd bet on Daniel Jones being a successful NFL player.

44 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What do the Jags historically value more in terms of offensive lineman types? Because Jonah and Taylor are very different.

Taylor I'd say is a better "fit" for what we usually look for. 

With DeFlippo and Foles in the fold, I think Jonah makes more sense though.

44 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Big slow movers

Like this 

Brontosaurus.jpg

Personally I'd have gone with Rockbiter from Neverending Story as being more accurate, but I like where you went with this take all the same.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I love Jones' intangibles, but if NYG is willing to spend the 1.17 or even 2.7 pick on Jones and not offer it for Rosen (ARI might be holding on to him, so no guarantee), then Gettleman's a lost cause IMO.  

I agree. It's one thing for Arizona to not accept and then take Jones with the pick, but if Gettleman grabs Jones with 6 or a pick not offered for Rosen, I lose all faith in him. His one redeeming quality (that is apparent right now at least) is he is still a very good talent evaluator. His draft last year was great. Rosen is far and away the better QB and QB prospect compared to Jones.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Haskins at 4 would make Raider nation livid.

I think he's the best QB in the draft. I don't think he's worthy of a first round pick though and the number 13 sticks out to me too much which is this draft's strong point. That said, I would hate the pick.

12 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

We are the most sought after pitchers due to the natural movement of the ball when we throw it.

I think that's definitely the reason why we've seen less lefties succeed in the NFL, a simple dilution of the available pool.  It's getting to the point where even at Pony level, if a kid has a talented left arm, coaches are going to be all over him to try and ensure he sticks to baseball.  And sure there's the allure of being the high school QB, they may even do it, but the MLB scouts and college baseball scouts are going to typically pursue them a helluvalot harder than college football scouts are because of how coveted lefty-pitchers are.

That said, we can't pretend that this doesn't create something in the way of a, like it or not, applicable recency bias in the NFL.  A left-handed QB has to be out and out special, head and shoulders demonstrably better than a right-handed peer in order to get the nod over him because of the amount of work involved in adapting the offense to accommodate them.

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Haskins at 4 would make Raider nation livid.

Still think ir’s all smoke. Gruden and Mayock have connections to all of the media who will help them assist in this gigantic smokescreen of smokescreens. 

Archived