Ravens trade Joe Flacco to Broncos

49erurtaza

Benjamin Allbright‏ @AllbrightNFL

Keep an eye on Arizona for a potential Case Keenum trade.

The idea would be to bring Keenum in and extend him with a lower salary cap number as a long term backup. Kingsbury was Keenum's QB coach and co-OC at university of Houston.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

This is a weird move for Denver. He's expensive, it'll cost cash to part with Keenum and he brings a history if recent back injuries with him. 

Agreed, doesn't make much sense.  Adding Flacco doesn't help them get better than the Chargers or Chiefs.  It's easy to make the argument that Flacco is worse than Keenum at this point.  They should just take their lumps and figure out a long-term solution.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Statistically, he's at best a minimal upgrade.

Right now, Keenun had a really awful season and Flacco was never that bad.

Overall the gap is not that big, but unless Flacco regresses further or Keenum has a comeback season, I don't see that parity going forward.

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Agreed, doesn't make much sense.  Adding Flacco doesn't help them get better than the Chargers or Chiefs.  It's easy to make the argument that Flacco is worse than Keenum at this point.  They should just take their lumps and figure out a long-term solution.

They probably would have been better off making a run at a FA like Teddy or Tannehill, someone who doesn't cost a draft pick.

Just now, kramxel said:

Right now, Keenun had a really awful season and Flacco was never that bad.

Overall the gap is not that big, but unless Flacco regresses further or Keenum has a comeback season, I don't see that parity going forward.

Do you remember Flacco’s 2013 season

I agree with the question "Is he much better than Keenum?"    My answer....probably not enough to warrant trading for him.

Flacco is probably not much more than a stop gap.   He isnt someone who is going to put the Broncos over the top.      Thats essentially what they had in Keenum.

Before this trade they needed a long term QB who can put them over the top....and they STILL need that AFTER the trade.

17 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

This is a weird move for Denver. He's expensive, it'll cost cash to part with Keenum and he brings a history if recent back injuries with him. 

15 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Flacco doesn't help DEN catch up to LAC or KC, not by a longshot.  That's absolutely the head-scratcher part.

But you're all making the assumption that Elway thinks this is a rebuild, and DEN needs a lot to be a contender.   Keep in mind the premise that justifies this in Elway & the org's mind - they think they still are a contending, win-now team.    This is literally the same statement made by Elway at the season-ending presser, since then, and parrotted by both CEO Joe Ellis (who basically runs the team with the ownership trust still in limbo) & the new coaching staff (which when you look at hiring Fangio/Munchak, aligns with said sentiment). 

That single premise is the real issue IMO - another org with DEN's situation would probably say "hey, let's build the roster, and hit 2020-21 QB draft hard, if we don't like anyone in the 2019 QB class", or they would have already hit 2018's QB class hard at 1.5 and gotten their QBOTF.   But Ellis/Elway & co. approached 2018, and now 2019, like they still were good enough to be a legit contender.   You ask 1/3 to 1/2 of the FF team fanbase, they'll probably still feel the same way - what happens when you're used to winning for so long.   When in reality, we're so thin on roster talent at such key positions (QB, T, CB, WR ,TE) and other more replaceable positions (ILB, C/G), we really should keep trying to find a young QBOTF to be our long-term answer (not necessarily Rd1 if you don't believe a guy is there, but the idea is to think 2020+, not win-now in 2019).   The reality most outsiders see is that DEN isn't good enough to catch LAC/KC with a Flacco / coaching upgrade.  It just isn't one that Elway & Ellis see.  They really do think it's about getting a better QB & coaching staff, and then the magic returns.

I don't share the above belief, but it's clearly influencing Elway & the org.   It's also how teams get stuck in perpetual mediocrity - something DEN's not used to, but has literally encountered in 2018-19 - you try to win now with a team that's not ready, and you just push yourself to a bunch of seasons where you're not good enough to contend, but also not bad enough to get the difference-maker.   Sooner or later, DEN's going to have to commit to a full rebuild year - ironically, the players recognized that's what 2018 should have been after Week 17 - Wolfe, Marshall & others said literally that point (realistically, we were in a rebuild year).   Done right, it doesn't have to take more than 1-2 years, but it takes longer if you keep investing the majority of assets in win-now moves, rather than hedge with future/youth-build, and hope you are lucky enough to accelerate the growth curve with a NO-2017 like draft.    The solace I get from this deal is that it doesn't corner Elway into forcing a Rd1 pick into QB - which also sets a franchise back 3 years if it's as bad as a Lynch-Rd1 type pick, and definitely a risk we have this year.    Not crazy about throwing away a 4th if Flacco proves to be neutral / not enough of a diff maker to really matter (which IMO is entirely likely, even though anyone probably upgrades Keenum by a mile, we need far more heading into 2019), and ultimately, our org's long-term health really only gets addressed once we find a real QBOTF.

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And you know who is good for that...

Oh, man, now I'm not going to consider my life complete until I see some stache in Denver.

Allow me to be the first to officially start the JEFF FISHER TO DENVER train!

(There's bounds to still be some Eau de Peyton lingering in the corners of Mile High that Fish can get his fix off of.)

The first? Step down son.

I've recommended Jeff Fisher for every NFL HC job, Oscars host, all the way to Secretary of State.

Ravens had 50 yards and three 1st downs through their first 10 possessions in their playoff game and were down 23-3 (blocked punt set up a FG) and didn't bring in playoff Flacco at any point. I understand not wanting to hurt your rookie QBs confidence but he had as many fumbles/interceptions as first downs through the first three quarters of that game and their two longest drives were 21 yards and one ended in an interception. It showed what the Ravens thought of Flacco and I'd be surprised if they get a 4th unless there is a 5th or 6th coming back.

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

LOL

Klis is the DEN org mouthpiece.   He's really reliable for news and info - but you can pretty much take any opinion that's football related and just put down "DEN FO" on it.    Read the replies to that tweet if you want a good chuckle, the fanbase is well aware of his status as FO source.

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ravens had 50 yards and three 1st downs through their first 10 possessions in their playoff game and were down 23-3 (blocked punt set up a FG) and didn't bring in playoff Flacco at any point. I understand not wanting to hurt your rookie QBs confidence but he had as many fumbles/interceptions as first downs through the first three quarters of that game and their two longest drives were 21 yards and one ended in an interception. It showed what the Ravens thought of Flacco and I'd be surprised if they get a 4th unless there is a 5th or 6th coming back.

Klis has already confirmed it's a 4th alone - the only issue is if it's DEN or HOU's 4th.  Either way, BAL has to be very happy.   Even if it whiffs it's a free ticket given their situation.  It also shows Elway's win-now desperation - he couldn't take the chance Flacco would hit the open market and choose a better situation like JAX for him to win now, so he paid up.   Whereas most teams wouldn't have seen the need to worry about the risk given the very real risk Flacco's not enough of a diff maker on DEN's O and at his stage of career/skills (the statue pocket passer part is a real prob with our OL), but that's where Elway's mind is at ("must find QB who can help now").

Archived