Ravens trade Joe Flacco to Broncos

49erurtaza

FWIW it's a 4th (unclear if it's HOU or DEN's, but I'd guess DEN's).    I'm pretty neutral to the deal, because a reach for QB at 1.10 would have been the far worse scenario, but realistically this is mostly a lateral move for our QB situation - other than to throw more $ at the problem short-term, and for a guy who's a statue, and unlikely to help us much either way (and so won't help our OL issues, either - hiring OL coach Munchak is our only hope there).    The fact that there's no guaranteed $, if it had been a 5th-6th, I probably would have been OK with - but it's hard to see him as a solution to our problems. 

I'd have been irate if this was a Day 2 pick, and I'm not crazy about the fact it's a top 110-ish pick, but given that Elway somehow still sees DEN as win-now, well, it's par for the course for him - his main problems as a GM have come when he's tried to go win-now with teams that aren't win-now, reaching for tools-only-low-skills guys way too early in the draft, and his ability to ID the right QB.   I can't say this changes much of that narrative, unless Flacco has a very improbable revival of his career, but it probably protects DEN from Elway repeating the draft follies in 2019's QB class of going way too soon.

Flacco will beat Mahomes in KC either this year or the following. Of that i am certain.

So long, Joe. Thanks for the 2nd most playoff wins in the NFL during your time, the most road wins in NFL playoff history, and a super bowl. You did what we drafted a franchise QB to do.

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW it's a 4th (unclear if it's HOU or DEN's, but I'd guess DEN's).    I'm pretty neutral to the deal, because a reach for QB at 1.10 would have been the far worse scenario, but realistically this is mostly a lateral move for our QB situation - other than to throw more $ at the problem short-term, and for a guy who's a statue, and unlikely to help us much either way (and so won't help our OL issues, either - hiring OL coach Munchak is our only hope there).    The fact that there's no guaranteed $, if it had been a 5th-6th, I probably would have been OK with - but it's hard to see him as a solution to our problems. 

I'd have been irate if this was a Day 2 pick, and I'm not crazy about the fact it's a top 110-ish pick, but given that Elway somehow still sees DEN as win-now, well, it's par for the course for him - his main problems as a GM have come when he's tried to go win-now with teams that aren't win-now, reaching for tools-only-low-skills guys way too early in the draft, and his ability to ID the right QB.   I can't say this changes much of that narrative, unless Flacco has a very improbable revival of his career, but it probably protects DEN from Elway repeating the draft follies in 2019's QB class of going way too soon.

It doesn't really prevent the Broncos from taking a QB at 10 though.

Dumb trade for Denver. Flacco isn't a bad QB, but I wouldn't say he's a huge improvement over Keenum, either. Flacco certainly isn't enough to put them ahead of KC or LA in the division, either. They'd be better off waiting to find a QB in the draft, but I guess Elway might be feeling some pressure...

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

John Elway has undertaken a mission to only acquire below average QBs to make sure Broncos fans remember his playing career as the GOAT. This is MJ managing the Bobcats all over again.

Below average? Like under .500? As in.... 7-9? Broncos getting another new coach next year confirmed? 

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It doesn't really prevent the Broncos from taking a QB at 10 though.

My suspicion is now we see DEN go ILB (because Fangio looks for a signature ILB to anchor his D) or CB if they think an elite one is there.   Going after Flacco aligns with the DEN org narrative they are going to win-now - the Fangio hire was billed with that in mind, this fits as well - to be clear IMO, the narrative is crazy given our roster holes on both sides of the ball and complete lack of actual difference-making 2019 talent on O (Lindsay is probably the only guy who counts in that category for all the positions, and RB is the easiest of all positions to get that), but it is what it is.   

FWIW, I'd expect we spend a mid-round pick on a developmental QB, because Keenum won't likely stay as the backup, so getting a backup / shot-in-dark future starter is now the plan, with Keenum leaving saving $ to spend elsewhere (like trying to re-sign C Paradis).

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Flacco will beat Mahomes in KC either this year or the following. Of that i am certain.

So long, Joe. Thanks for the 2nd most playoff wins in the NFL during your time, the most road wins in NFL playoff history, and a super bowl. You did what we drafted a franchise QB to do.

If the Broncos somehow make the playoffs, then yeah maybe.

Archived