BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I think part of the fun is the speculation grabs.  Getting that guy that flashed one week and could be something or nothing.  I think it rewards watching football and reading articles.  Because that forces researched speculation grabs.

What I do not want is uninformed, mass speculation grabs because people can cut them more quickly.  

Part of why I am against the changes in 1A-D is that I feel like it encourages laziness in scouting players, watching football, and doing research.  Scouting doesn't stop after the draft.

While I agree, you can't expect fans to know every 70 man rosters in NFL, and we're not in the building, so it's pretty frequent to resign an ERFA I February or March for him to be cut IRL in August. Same with Shark Tank signings.

1b to 1d allows the same balance in terms of owners trying to hoard young players, while giving them more flexibility imho.

1a is just a different issue as it would only allow ERFAs to be traded if 1b is passed.

Topic:

1a. Unlock ERFAs

1b. Allow the cut of locked sub500 players

1c. Allow the cut of players on 500-700 salary with 1yr deal left

1d. Cut roster Size from 70 to 60

Idea submitter: TedLavie

Current situation:

• Currently, once a player is signed to a new contract (draft, waiver claim, ERFA or RFA tag, FA signing), he is locked for the year and can't be cut or traded, no matter what.
  • You can cut freely players with a salary of 500 or less, only if they're unlocked
  • PFAs salary is below 500 (350 I believe). ERFA tags are worth $500 and last 2 years. In Shark Tank, you can sign veteran players who are BDL free agents to 1yr deal, starting at $500 (or $425 for undrafted rookies only)
  • Number of active (not IRL FAs, not on IR, not suspended IRL, not retired) players on rosters is limited to 70

Details of the idea: The idea is to allow owners to cut freely every player under $700 (1b & 1c), except players on longer deals (1c) AND trade ERFAs (1a). Ideas are independant and you can vote yes to 1b but no to 1c and 1a etc. This would go with a roster size reduction.

Argument for : I believe these three rules would allow us to mirror what happens IRL where NFL teams can cut without much cap consequences younger players who don't pan out or vets on low salary deals. It would give BDL owners better cap flexibility, and would help make season more interesting as we would have more disputed waiver claims and fewer teams who come in the playoffs with 4 OL as they would have been to sign some in waivers before. Limit roster size to 60 would prevent massive hoarding that items 1b and 1c could lead to.

Applicable on: Now

Possible alteration:

• Applicable starting only in 2020
  • Raise / lower the 700 limit for item 1c
  • Cut roster size to 65

Vote YES / NO / YES WITH ALTERATION or CONDITION (precise in comment)

Voting is open. I opened item 1d as well since it's linked and has already been discussed.

If you don't agree with an item in itself but would agree with one condition, please precise it in the comments and I will try to work it out!

1A Unlock ERFAs

YES (0):

YES BUT (0) :

NO (10): Ted, BDP, Jlash, wwhicock, bcb, Counselor, SirA, MD4L, Whicker, Ruskie

1B. Allow the cut of locked sub500 players

YES (0):

YES BUT ONLY WITH Item 1D (2) : Ted, BDP

YES BUT (0) :

NO (9): Jlash, wwhicock, bcb, Counselor, SirA, MD4L, Whicker, Ruskie, Xmad

1C. Allow the cut of players on 500-700 salary with 1yr deal left

YES (1): Xmad

YES BUT ONLY WITH Item 1D (2) : Ted, BDP

YES BUT (0) :

NO (9): Jlash, wwhicock, bcb, Counselor, SirA, MD4L, Whicker, Ruskie, pheltz

1d. Cut roster Size from 70 to 60

YES (1): PR

YES BUT ONLY WITH Item 1B & 1C, no major cap reduction & 65 (1) : BDP

YES BUT ONLY WITH no major cap reduction & 65 (2): wwhicock, SirA

YES BUT ONLY WITH 65 (2) : Whicker, Xmad

NO (9): Jlash, bcb, Counselor, MD4L, Ruskie, pheltz, Ted, Rags, Lukic

@Whicker

@MD4L @bcb1213 @Ragnarok @RuskieTitan @SirA1 @Hockey5djh @SwoleXmad @pheltzbahr @PR @WFLukic @BringinDaPain @Jlash @wwhickok @Counselor

3 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

@TedLavie before I vote can you answer one question for me? If the roster size drops will the salary cap reduce?

It was not necessarily envisioned but it's definitely worth discussing. 

You can vote with a condition like I did. For instance "Yes but only if cap decreases / stay stable". If votes without condition (simple yes/no) don't form a majority, conditions will be discussed.

It is the first time owners meeting are run that way, maybe I'm going to screw it up, but I'm gonna roll with it until I do

2 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

1a No
1b Yes but only with item 1d
1c Yes but only with item 1d
1d Yes but only with item 1a and 1b and 65 along with No major Cap Reduction.

Oh boy. I'm gonna mess this up for sure haha

Here's my issue with this and it's a big one.  The whole reason we want to drop roster size is to get people to not hoard which seems completely hypocritical to allowing more free drops.  If someone has 20 free spots they literally could go sign 20 rookies post draft and just cut the ones that don't make it during the year without any real penalty while picking up someone else.  Woof 

15 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Here's my issue with this and it's a big one.  The whole reason we want to drop roster size is to get people to not hoard which seems completely hypocritical to allowing more free drops.  If someone has 20 free spots they literally could go sign 20 rookies post draft and just cut the ones that don't make it during the year without any real penalty while picking up someone else.  Woof 

You've got my thinking backwards.

I think teams should be allowed more flexibility in their cuts, as it is the case IRL. And roster reduction is a way to counterbalance the hoarding strategies that this flexibility could lead.

I don't think people hoard currently. But if you feel like it's the case, then feel free to vote for size reduction and against the other items.

Plus, the people that did hoard back in the day were Taylor, and jepg mainly. I can't say this was a very successful strategy as neither went to the playoffs frequently, much less advance in them. Footsy had success, but he hoarded 1st round picks, which would not be affected by any of those rules. So I really don't think it's that big of an issue.

Only argument for size reduction imho, independently for items 1a -> 1c, is to enlarge the waiver pool.

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

To me it seems like a penalty to just have a penalty. Most of those fliers arent even guaranteed contracts unless they make the NFL Roster. People are picked up and cut all the time with the fliers. 

For the new guys here's the end of the season tally of available roster spaces for each team with a 70 man limit. Only 4 teams even would have reached or gone over a 65 person limit. And these were the guys that liked to hoard players IMO. That's why i think a 65 person limit is a change long overdue. It will increase both the depth of FA and the Waiver wire if only by a few players as teams will likely again try to stay around 60 active players to add players at the end of the season for playoff runs.

The Salary Cap was limiting most teams before but that is a non issue now and it won't become an issue if we reduce roster sizes IMO because you are taking off the bottom 5 players of a roster which likely amounts to $2K or so in cap. Thus giving you more money for Waivers during the year so it's a win win all around.

Team Cap Space Remaining Active Roster Space
Berlin Blitzkrieg $298 14
Camden Hood Rats $245 11
Cuba Smugglers $130 5
Gotham Gashslayers $183 18
Hawaii Nightmarchers $242 15
Ivory Coast Black Rhinos $524 18
Long Beach Leprechauns $523 3
Louisiana Jazz ($3) 4
OKC EF5 $36 14
Orlando Ospreys $4,831 4
Portland Horned Owls $1,992 7