Dee Ford

BayBubbPackFan

15 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Which would be fine and dandy if we didn't have so many other holes to fill, especially OL.

I don't want to give up pick #44 as part of a deal for Ford, but I must say that I had no idea he had such a great 2018 season.  He also had 10 sacks in 2016.  There's something there between our new linebackers coach and Ford .. could be a special connection there.  If we could get the Chiefs to settle for a 3rd rounder, or get them to give up Ford and a 3rd or 4th for pick #44 I'd be in for sure.  Now that we are probably a legitimate player in free agency we aren't nearly as dependent on our draft picks as we used to be.  

The more I think about it I'd like to land a top pass rusher .. even if it costs a good pick.  The draft is a crap shoot, and it's not a sure thing that guys like Burns, Sweat, and Polite will be good pros.  It cost the Bears a couple 1st's to land a great one in Mack, but in comparison landing a good rusher like Dee Ford for a 2nd seems like quite a bargain.  I'd be tempted to wait things out a while .. Ford and Houston do not fit their new scheme at all .. they will probably let Houston walk soon.  You'd think they might actually lower the asking price on Ford if it drags on too long.  Adding a legit pro pass rusher is very appealing though .. really gives the Packers a lot of flexibility in free agency and the draft.

I said this earlier and I’ll say it again, I’d consider giving up 44 for Ford.  Cap space is nice, but guys have to be available to use it. The best edge we could get right now in fa is not in Fords ballpark. We have extra picks this year and so in the long term, this wouldn’t set us back. Pick 44 has a higher chance of busting than being a starter.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

We currently have one “hole” on the OL. Other teams are in much worse positions there. 

We could also use a RT for depth.

We also need a TE, slot receiver, DE, and BOTH safety spots.

12 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

We could also use a RT for depth.

I think that Spriggs still has good upside at right tackle. He may fit the new coaching staff and system better than the previous staff. He is very athletic and still has a chance to improve.

15 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

People think backup OTs grow on trees and that Spriggs isn't like a top 10 backup OT in the league.

There is zero perspective here.  None.  It's the most obnoxious thing about this site.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

One note of caution on Ford .. he's had a couple back surgeries in his past .. last one coming in 2017. Sure didn't hold him back in '18 though .. great season with 13 sack, 13 tfl, and 7 forced fumble. 

And his pressure numbers were great. The problems here are clear: injury history, big production but only in one year, and a new contract. The problem here depends on if you're willing to take a similar risk as you had to do with Nick Perry again. And then do it while giving up draft capital. If it's only a 4th or maybe a 3rd, I can see doing it, but these ideas of doing 30 or 44 for him... I just don't see the value of it.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just get this feeling that in two seasons that the Dee Ford contract will look like one of those bad contracts that we wish we didn't have.  I don't want to give up a top 50 pick for that.

What if he has a sack in the SB this year though too. Not saying I disagree with you, but if he contributes to a SB in year 1, I'll take the ugly contract in year 2 :)

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just get this feeling that in two seasons that the Dee Ford contract will look like one of those bad contracts that we wish we didn't have.  I don't want to give up a top 50 pick for that.

At some point you gotta dive in though. Whether its for Ford or elsewhere, you cant keep just dipping your toe in FA trying to find bargains and be married to your draft picks. I have zero issue with Gute dealing a pick or two for a high end player and taking a chance. There should be alot of that going on these last few years with Rodgers. 

If we have some real ****ty contracts on the books when Rodgers is 39-40, I really won't care.

Archived