New Forum - New Random

y2lamanaki

RANDOMNESS AWAKENS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options makes the best option for you to vote for?

• The First One. Always go with The First One.
    • Beer (duh)
    • Frank Gore
    • Can you repeat the question?
    • All of the above
    • LET'S LET THE SHOE DECIDE
    • This all of the above. This is the better all of the above. It's more all of the abover.
  2. 2. Are you kidding me? TWO Random Polls?!?!

• No I'm not kidding you.
    • No you're not kidding me.
    • Wait, in which point of view am I supposed to answer these?!

Here's a fact that is unlikely to be exactly true beyond this season, but is one I happened upon while investigating another crazy stat:

If you rank the 25 wide receivers the 49ers have drafted since 1997 (year after T.O.) by career production, Jason Hill is the 7th best pick. I have removed Aiyuk and James from this stat.

The original stat, which is also crazy and true - the drafted receiver with second most yards for the 49ers behind Michael Crabtree is Arnaz Battle (since 1997).

This is extraordinarily bad.

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Here's a fact that is unlikely to be exactly true beyond this season, but is one I happened upon while investigating another crazy stat:

If you rank the 25 wide receivers the 49ers have drafted since 1997 (year after T.O.) by career production, Jason Hill is the 7th best pick. I have removed Aiyuk and James from this stat.

The original stat, which is also crazy and true - the drafted receiver with second most yards for the 49ers behind Michael Crabtree is Arnaz Battle (since 1997).

This is extraordinarily bad.

That's just incredible. I knew we pretty well sucked at selecting and developing WRs around that span, but to that detailed level of suck? Had I thought that bad, I'd have used it more as rah rah evidence to push for guys like OBJ3 instead. I do get the clear feeling that we broke this nasty trend now with Samuel, and likely with Aiyuk to some degree. 

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47wtjbtxy5jdw38qh6v

• 3 weeks later...

I know Aiyuk has been performing well in camp and what not, but I think when it’s all said and done we are going to regret passing on CeeDee Lamb. I am still so bummed he fell into our lap and we passed on him by trading down (would have made that trade myself) and then passed on him again. Supposedly Atlanta was trying to trade up with us again at 14. We could have made that trade as well and still landed Lamb right in front of Dallas. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have made that trade as well as both Jeudy and Lamb were on the board, some of the two would have been available.

9 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I know Aiyuk has been performing well in camp and what not, but I think when it’s all said and done we are going to regret passing on CeeDee Lamb. I am still so bummed he fell into our lap and we passed on him by trading down (would have made that trade myself) and then passed on him again. Supposedly Atlanta was trying to trade up with us again at 14. We could have made that trade as well and still landed Lamb right in front of Dallas. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have made that trade as well as both Jeudy and Lamb were on the board, some of the two would have been available.

I never heard about the Atlanta trade offer. That would have been interesting. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I never heard about the Atlanta trade offer. That would have been interesting. 

If I remember correctly they were trying to trade up and their target was Kinlaw. Now if he turns into a monster like he could I guess it’s good we stayed and took him, but he just seemed like too risky if a pick that early for me. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

If I remember correctly they were trying to trade up and their target was Kinlaw. Now if he turns into a monster like he could I guess it’s good we stayed and took him, but he just seemed like too risky if a pick that early for me. 

Correct, I remember hearing that ATL wanted Kinlaw. Time will tell

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

Was my biggest complaint as well. I was very, very nervous about him and his bust potential, and that's not been made any better by this TC performance lol. I took Wirfs over CeeDee, but would have loved either. I really liked some of the day 2 interior d- lineman as well, which was another reason I was less stoked about taking Kinlaw. I would have happily taken Blacklock in the 3t role at the end of round 1. Had we managed to move down again for third rounder or something, I would have taken Elliott, etc. 

On 9/4/2020 at 10:22 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

I was one of the biggest Lamb fans around and was so disappointed when our 9ers passed on him. Kinlaw seems to have pontential, but yes, I get the concern around him as he is very raw. I wasn't keen on simply trying to replace Buckner straight up with a raw rookie. 

However, we differ very much with our outlooks on Aiyuk. I punched the couch and fumed awhile when Dallas took Lamb, but once I dove in to seeing who Brandon Aiyuk was, I got really pumped. Sure, Lamb is a bit taller and has amazing moves, but I am pretty certain Aiyuk is faster (GPS clocking means more to me than a 40 time) and plays tougher. The endorsement of Herm Edwards helps (I get the feeling Lamb might not have the maturity and focus to the extent that Aiyuk appears to have....not saying Lamb isn't dedicated or focused because he sure was good for my Sooners) and those arms!!!!!!!! 😲 

50 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I was one of the biggest Lamb fans around and was so disappointed when our 9ers passed on him. Kinlaw seems to have pontential, but yes, I get the concern around him as he is very raw. I wasn't keen on simply trying to replace Buckner straight up with a raw rookie. 

However, we differ very much with our outlooks on Aiyuk. I punched the couch and fumed awhile when Dallas took Lamb, but once I dove in to seeing who Brandon Aiyuk was, I got really pumped. Sure, Lamb is a bit taller and has amazing moves, but I am pretty certain Aiyuk is faster (GPS clocking means more to me than a 40 time) and plays tougher. The endorsement of Herm Edwards helps (I get the feeling Lamb might not have the maturity and focus to the extent that Aiyuk appears to have....not saying Lamb isn't dedicated or focused because he sure was good for my Sooners) and those arms!!!!!!!! 😲 

Yeah, the early returns are looking good on Aiyuk, so we may have dodged a bullet on that one. I still think CeeDee Lamb will be a star receiver in short order. It sounds like Shanahan and Lynch had decided that they would have taken Aiyuk at 13 if Kinlaw was gone anyway, so it's really a non-starter, but outside of Chase Young, Lamb was possibly my favorite prospect this year. All this positive talk about Aiyuk definitely has me bought in to that pick. The returns on Kinlaw have also been highly positive coming from the players he's lined up across from, but not as high coming from beat-writers, so we will just have to see for ourselves on that one I guess. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

As one of the ppl who was pissed at the trade up for Aiyuk, hearing all the glowing reports from camp has me excited. Wasn't a Aiyuk fan so I'll have my crow ready when he does show out. Just hope the kid can stay healthy. 

I too was initially ticked at the trade up because that meant we had no Day 2 picks...made that night really tough to watch. However, I fully believe that had the trade not happened, we would not have Aiyuk. He would have been picked by someone before 31 came along regardless of whether any believe Miami traded out due to our selection.

I will say I was ecstatic on Aiyuk on draft day and I had to leave the site for a couple days because of all the negativity lol.  I will also say I'm no scout and just have access to youtube and other various run of the mill armchair GM sites ect. have to look and see who is who. Lamb and Aiyuk were my two favorites with a small amount behind Ruggs and way farther back Juedy.  

I also wanted Adam Carriker more than Patrick Willis so... eh you win some, you  lose some. Though Aiyuk hasn't made it yet.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

As one of the ppl who was pissed at the trade up for Aiyuk, hearing all the glowing reports from camp has me excited. Wasn't a Aiyuk fan so I'll have my crow ready when he does show out. Just hope the kid can stay healthy. 

I hated the trade, was good with the prospect. One of 6 receivers I thought would be a first rounder. 

7 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I will say I was ecstatic on Aiyuk on draft day and I had to leave the site for a couple days because of all the negativity lol.  I will also say I'm no scout and just have access to youtube and other various run of the mill armchair GM sites ect. have to look and see who is who. Lamb and Aiyuk were my two favorites with a small amount behind Ruggs and way farther back Juedy.  

I also wanted Adam Carriker more than Patrick Willis so... eh you win some, you  lose some. Though Aiyuk hasn't made it yet.

In fairness, being pissed at the trade isn't the same as not appreciating Aiyuk as a prospect. If we had traded down from 13 to 18 with the Dolphins (who were rumored to be trying to acquire that pick from us for Wirfs) picked up a second and taken Aiyuk at 18, I'd have been happier with that move than trading up from 31 to 25 and giving up assets to do so. I know that sounds weird.  In general, I'm not a fan of trading up in the draft unless I see a big drop in the tiers at that point. That's probably the only part of this that is player evaluation. 

As we know, Shanny had Aiyuk on the top tier along with CeeDee (I see no reason not to believe this given we had the crack at CeeDee and passed), which is something that I did not have (and frankly I doubt many people did). To me, Aiyuk was on the same secondary tier as guys like Jefferson and that second group of guys. I did have him rated as a first rounder though, so his draft spot wasn't a problem or anything. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, being pissed at the trade isn't the same as not appreciating Aiyuk as a prospect. If we had traded down from 13 to 18 with the Dolphins (who were rumored to be trying to acquire that pick from us for Wirfs) picked up a second and taken Aiyuk at 18, I'd have been happier with that move than trading up from 31 to 25 and giving up assets to do so. I know that sounds weird.  In general, I'm not a fan of trading up in the draft unless I see a big drop in the tiers at that point. That's probably the only part of this that is player evaluation. 

As we know, Shanny had Aiyuk on the top tier along with CeeDee (I see no reason not to believe this given we had the crack at CeeDee and passed), which is something that I did not have (and frankly I doubt many people did). To me, Aiyuk was on the same secondary tier as guys like Jefferson and that second group of guys. I did have him rated as a first rounder though, so his draft spot wasn't a problem or anything. 

No worries, I get what your saying. I am not a huge proponent of trading up in general either especially when we were already so low on pics. I did like Aiyuk that much though. While the front office has been doing great collecting/finding talent they don't seem to value draft capital near as importantly as us draftnicks do and I think it will drive all of us alittle crazy every now and then.

• Like 1