Jets to sign LB CJ Mosley

AustrianNiner

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I know, but it means they are committing $17M for 3 years (assuming the gtd is front loaded). Each deal I see just seems more reckless, fringe pro bowlers at best getting paid star money. This happens every year at 1 or 2 positions, yes, but across the board? I don't think this is the norm.

You are correct that his is not the norm, but it will now become the norm as teams like Philly and the Rams have success building in FA and the trade market. 

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I know, but it means they are committing $17M for 3 years (assuming the gtd is front loaded). Each deal I see just seems more reckless, fringe pro bowlers at best getting paid star money. This happens every year at 1 or 2 positions, yes, but across the board? I don't think this is the norm.

The cap is rising and more and more stars are holding out for more money. This is the just the way things go.

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

I wonder if they even saw him play the last couple of years.... 17M/year for a guy who is (at this point) a below average starter...

Don't even know what to say....

You should say that he's not a below average starter for one thing.

He's a very good player, who is not only valued for leading/setting the defense, but has been near the top of the league in defensive winning plays (sacks+ints+passes defensed+fumbles forced+fumbles recovered+runstuffs) since he came into the league. He's not physically dominant like a prime Kueckly, Willis, etc.. but still a very good player.

42 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And apparently the plan here for the Jets is to just bring in talented guys and have Gregg Williams build the scheme around them. That's not how a good defense has ever been built.

fear the mighty Gregg Williams. i do not. spending big in FA rarely is a successful and sustainable concept.

That is insane. He’s an off the ball linebacker.  In 2005 I could see paying him (the 2005 equivalent of) this contract, back when the position was more highly sought after.

In 2019, it’s about linemen who rush the passer and coverage corners on defense. He’s getting as much as the top free agent edge. I’ll even concede that Mosley is better at MLB than Flowers is at DE, but DE is so much more valuable...

Even if he doesn’t see a drop off in production this is an overpayment. 

7 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

That is insane. He’s an off the ball linebacker.  In 2005 I could see paying him (the 2005 equivalent of) this contract, back when the position was more highly sought after.

In 2019, it’s about linemen who rush the passer and coverage corners on defense. He’s getting as much as the top free agent edge. I’ll even concede that Mosley is better at MLB than Flowers is at DE, but DE is so much more valuable...

He's an off ball linebacker who can't play in space in 2019. he'll be cut in 3 years

An off the ball linebacker who isn't very good in coverage. Is that not one of the more replaceable pieces on a modern NFL team? Not that he isn't one of the better LBs at what he's good at, but you can find smart guys who play the run well without paying them like a pass rusher. 

Hell Denver has two of them in Todd Davis and Josey Jewell. And none of us really wanted Davis back. 

9 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Man Flowers is so underrated 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

*off the ball LB’s

Barr is going back to what he does best in NY and that's rush the passer.  Dude was a perfect 3-4 OLB coming out and was totally miscast in MIN and SAM 4-3 LB.  He's natural ability showed how he was good enough to handle it but you want him rushing with that athletic ability and bend off the edge.  I would be shocked if Barr wasn't a 10+ sack guy next year. 

Totally overpaid for Mosley but as long as we stay active for Paradis and Bell I'm ok with it.  We had to spend a ton of cash to meet the floor so I'd rather spend a few extra on a difference maker in his prime like Mosley.  Guy is an near elite 3 down ILB so while they probably paid 3-4 more then they needed I'm ok with it.  They don't really have any huge deals coming up in the near future. 

The Jets don’t have many of their own players to pay.

Leo already counts $14M against our cap.

Jamal is under team control for 3 more years.

Robby is the only guy who could see a meaningful increase in the next 3 years.

These are overpayments. But it doesn’t have many negatively consequences. Really only opportunity cost next year. We won’t be able to sign free agents next year. 

One thing is clear. We are all in on Darnold’s rookie contract. 

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The Jets don’t have many of their own players to pay.

Leo already counts $14M against our cap.

Jamal is under team control for 3 more years.

Robby is the only guy who could see a meaningful increase in the next 3 years.

These are overpayments. But it doesn’t have many negatively consequences. Really only opportunity cost next year. We won’t be able to sign free agents next year. 

One thing is clear. We are all in on Darnold’s rookie contract. 

This is the primary reason why the Jets are spending now. It's kind of like the Eagles a few years ago, except they were paying their own... in 2 years, these contracts are the norm as the salary cap continues to rise. By the time Adams and Darnold are ready for their extensions, these contracts won't look so outrageous. 

I think some people have to try too hard to discredit Mosley as a player, now that it's the Jets that signed him. Baltimore really, really wanted to keep him. They even raised their offer (reportedly). For many of their players they just let walk with good wishes and encourage them to get that big comp pick money. It's rare cases like Kelechi Osemele in 2016 where the team really tries before folding because of price. Most times it's more like our (non) pursuit of Za'Darius Smith.

Honestly, I believe the liability in coverage thing is greatly overstated. RBs and TEs running iso routes against LBs is a mismatch throughout the league. If they get to that point on a defensive snap, the defense is already likely to loses that play. He's among the top couple linebackers in terms of passes defensed since he came into the league, so he does make plays there:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2014&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=ilb&pos[]=olb&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2018&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=pass_defended&c1comp=gt&c1val=15&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_defended

Archived