Whither Josh Jones?

TheOnlyThing

I like his athleticism, but does that translate to a role on the D this season?

And, if so, what is that role?

Next to Martinez down in the box? There certainly is not much to write home about at ILB presently besides Blake.

At S? Amos will play, but Tramon can hardly be guaranteed a spot, but does that mean Josh J gets Tramon's snaps if Tramon does not see the field at S? 

Obviously, the draft may clarify things, but at this point Josh J's projected role is one of the bigger roster enigmas I see heading into 2019.

What do folks foresee happening, at this (pre-draft) point, with Josh J in 2019? 

Josh Jones should play close to the LOS. Problem is, he hasn't shown a great deal of skill at the dime-backer role, he doesn't have the coverage skills to be a big nickel, and he hasn't been very effective as a deep safety. He has the size and athleticism to do any of these jobs, but just hasn't actually done any of them well aside from one good game against CIN his rookie year.

He's an uber athletic LB. More of an indictment on Dom and Pettine that they haven't found use for him than Jones himself IMO. The Packers staff routinely did this crap and it's why we're not good lately. Stop trying to improve on Jones weaknesses and just accept who he is and find ways to use his strengths. This is literally the way Belicheck runs any Joe Blow out there and keeps a top 15 defense. What does this guy do well and how do I encompass that into my defense?

• Like 9

He's an interesting case, and hard to predict. 

Optimism:  He's athletic enough and physical enough to be useful.  Hopefully after a year with Pettine and another camp, Pettine will understand his capacities and be able to utilize him effectively.  I'm also hoping that with perhaps smart, aware guys like Martinez and Amos and Alexander around him, that they might be able to help him with his positioning and stuff.  I'm hoping that after a couple of years he can process things himself much better.  And that with opportunity and playing time, decision-making will slow down for him as well.  Would be super awesome if he blossomed as a fun player who makes a few mistakes, but is fun to watch and can make some plays.  

Pessimism:  I think it's also quite possible that he's just a bust, and that he'll still never be more than deep bench, and will soon go the way of the 2015 draftees!  Some guys have great physical measurables, but if the mental processor is too slow, they can never make the instant recognition-response decisions that good players make.  Think there's a real risk that Jones just doesn't have and can never develop the instincts, recognition, and decision-making skills to play the NFL game that moves so very, very quickly.  

So he'll be a really interesting player to watch this year.  These are the kinds of player stories that turn out happy-ending for teams that end up great, and that turn out sad for teams that end up bad.  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's an uber athletic LB. More of an indictment on Dom and Pettine that they haven't found use for him than Jones himself IMO. The Packers staff routinely did this crap and it's why we're not good lately. Stop trying to improve on Jones weaknesses and just accept who he is and find ways to use his strengths. This is literally the way Belicheck runs any Joe Blow out there and keeps a top 15 defense. What does this guy do well and how do I encompass that into my defense?

That is my thinking as well and the ILB talent is not exactly overflowing.

Would like to see Jones get some run at a hybrid, close to the LOS position, but am curious if that is how the Packers intend to use him.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

That is my thinking as well and the ILB talent is not exactly overflowing.

Would like to see Jones get some run at a hybrid, close to the LOS position, but am curious if that is how the Packers intend to use him.

The biggest problem is because of our problem accepting who our players are we drafted Burks a year later hoping we could turn Jones into a starting S.

Either way we wasted a 2nd or 3rd.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The biggest problem is because of our problem accepting who our players are we drafted Burks a year later hoping we could turn Jones into a starting S.

I wouldn't be so sure about that just yet. If we can find a role for both of them, then are they really wasted picks?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's distinctly possible that we wasted a 2nd AND a 3rd. :/

• Like 8

@craig  Well, do the Packers want an Oren Burks type light-but-fast coverage linebacker, or do they want a box safety. I'd go with the box safety, because Adrian Amos is more flexible, position-wise, and could be moved around. If you use Jones instead of Burks for coverage ILB, what do you then do with HIM.

The bottom line is probably which position does Jones play best, which is likely to be the one that most relies on instincts over mental processing..

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree we've mismangaged many a people, particularly on D and that is what the Pats are best at.  But to me Jones is a lost cause.  A fast 40 means nothing if you are two steps late in reading the play or read it wrong.  I just don't think he sees the game, its moving too fast for him.  And if you are playing LB and don't have instincts, that's pretty much gunna be all she wrote.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

I agree we've mismangaged many a people, particularly on D and that is what the Pats are best at.  But to me Jones is a lost cause.  A fast 40 means nothing if you are two steps late in reading the play or read it wrong.  I just don't think he sees the game, its moving too fast for him.  And if you are playing LB and don't have instincts, that's pretty much gunna be all she wrote.

Likely, but let's not forget the caution Palmy had with Jones coming out... IIRC Palmy cautioned it could take awhile for the game to slow down for him to make quick and correct reads. Would be awesome if it somehow all came together this season somehow.

• Like 2

Maybe he can be a more specialized weapon this year. I think another big factor with the defense besides having talent was health. Who knows how Pettine uses some guys if his hands weren't forced by injuries. I am really looking forward to this season now that we have some depth, and some young talent hopefully making jumps. Not to mention a deep draft and plenty of ammo. I think Jones can still have a role on this team. This is probably the make or break year for him.

Twitter exchange:

Ben Fennell: Josh Jones is a good player, but should not be more than 8-10 yards from the L.O.S. at any time... He's best used in the box, run support, makes plays in the alley, blitzing, jamming TEs, etc

Nagler: 100%. The problem, of course, is that opponents know this and plan accordingly.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Twitter exchange:

Ben Fennell: Josh Jones is a good player, but should not be more than 8-10 yards from the L.O.S. at any time... He's best used in the box, run support, makes plays in the alley, blitzing, jamming TEs, etc

Nagler: 100%. The problem, of course, is that opponents know this and plan accordingly.

I feel like the second thing isn't that huge of an issue. But maybe I'm a simpleton