Bears and Packers to open on Thursday Night Football

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Probably would be best to wait for the Browns to get some real on field time before sending them to the slaughter

Yeah, but the Pats have been, IIRC, traditionally slow-starters in seasons.  Not saying that they don't still pull off wins, but they typically take about a month into the season to round into the form that we've come to expect of them.  This might be an opportunity for the Browns hype train to get absolutely out of control to the point where it risks crashing into Clayton Ravine.

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Excellent, should mean no short weeks for our starters as I believe you only get 1 Thursday game. Packers and Bears fans have to be happy about that.

We can only hope.  I'd like to also nominate the Packers for no London, or Monday Night games as well.

51 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

By breaking tradition of the Superbowl winner playing on opening night? Plausible, but not probable.

If the Bears were the Bears of even two years ago, I'd agree.  But this match-up ticks a lot of boxes and presents a lot of opportunity to get the marketing machine (which we know is ultimately more important than even tradition and history to the current incarnation of the NFL) up and running heading into the Week 1 weekend slate of games: Elite defense vs elite QB (particularly an elite QB who is trying to reassert his credentials), division rivalry, outdoor game in a historic venue, reigning COTY going up against one of the (yes, I'm using this loosely, but the hype machine will spin it this way) hotshot new coaching hires.  It's a virtual click-bait wet dream.  And they can add the spin of the two oldest franchises narrative to still claim celebrating history and tradition.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Y'all realize the only reason for this is to avoid talking about the Kraft situation for as long as possible, right?

That being said, should be a great game.

This has been rumored to be the opening game long before the Kraft stuff. Not everything is some conspiracy. They want to promote the 100th NFL season by starting the season with the longest running rivalry. Nothing more. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Excellent, should mean no short weeks for our starters as I believe you only get 1 Thursday game. Packers and Bears fans have to be happy about that.

mini-bye after week 1. playing the first game is a privilege, i love it. 

Archived