The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

On 12/21/2019 at 7:28 AM, Totty said:

I think at this point you just like to argue and sound holier than thou.  

Can't make some guys happy. 

Tell us what your fix is.  Specifically.  

My ideal QB going into Vegas would be Tom Brady. He is a FA after this season and it looks like he could very well be on his way out. If that happens. He is the perfect veteran QB that Gruden would love. One year contract where you don't have have to throw 80 million on a QB like Teddy. Gruden would have to sell Brady on playing with the Raiders obviously. The Raiders do have pieces on offense that will def attract Brady to the Raiders. They have an offensive line that can protect him. They have a top 10 RB. They have a top 3 TE in the NFL. They have the white slot WR. They have the jump ball WR in Tyrell. Then most likely add Ruggs or Tee Higgins in the draft. That is an offense where Brady can have a lot of success in. He is also a QB that you can sell Vegas too. I don't think people understand how important that is going into Vegas. The Raiders need some excitement someone that is going to get the local residents excited. A lot of people won't like this because its Tom Brady and the whole tuck rule situation. But Brady would make the Raiders a playoff contender. In FA you would spend on defense to try to build a defense that can be a respectful defense. You would still draft a QB and they sit out that first year or maybe two years so they can be ready to take over when it's time.

Also, think a QB like Cam Newton if the Panthers do walk away from him would be a possibility. Former MVP QB trying to get his career back on track. Philip Rivers would also be another choice I could see Gruden looking into as well for a year or two. I think the QB Gruden brings in will be a veteran older QB while his rookie QB sits and waits. 

Just my two cents. It's not gonna be a popular one cause of the names, but it would be my ideal QB going into Vegas and the other two names are two guys I would expect Gruden to go after in the offseason. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Carr had us competing at the top of the AFC in 2016, why not continue to build around him? Especially there really isn’t any better options available at the moment. His contract is about league average moving forward as well.

2016..It is 2020 next week. With that logic we should hang on to every above-average player on our roster

People are so stuck on 2016 Derek Carr that is not the Carr that plays in 2019. One year where he played out of his mind in 6 years. Since Gannon, the QB play for the Raiders was so bad for so long (There was some good QB play with Cambell and Carson for a year or two) that Carr came around and showed a glimpse of a pulse and didn't suck and people are now so scared to let go and just accept mediocrity. Carr leaves a lot of points on the field and I mean a lot. Perfect example was in last weeks game they motioned number 10 to the right side of the field and its a PA pass from the shotgun and Waller who is lined up on the left side of the field motions to the right side of the field and number 10 is running a wheel route and Waller is just running a short drag route and he gets all the attention from the defense while number 10 is running all by himself and I mean all by himself and he passes it to Waller because that was the main target and first read. If he just holds onto the ball for 2 more seconds or just scans the field and get off his only read he would see number 10 and it would have been about a 60 yard TD. 

There are countless plays like this all the time. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

People are so stuck on 2016 Derek Carr that is not the Carr that plays in 2019. One year where he played out of his mind in 6 years. Since Gannon, the QB play for the Raiders was so bad for so long (There was some good QB play with Cambell and Carson for a year or two) that Carr came around and showed a glimpse of a pulse and didn't suck and people are now so scared to let go and just accept mediocrity. Carr leaves a lot of points on the field and I mean a lot. Perfect example was in last weeks game they motioned number 10 to the right side of the field and its a PA pass from the shotgun and Waller who is lined up on the left side of the field motions to the right side of the field and number 10 is running a wheel route and Waller is just running a short drag route and he gets all the attention from the defense while number 10 is running all by himself and I mean all by himself and he passes it to Waller because that was the main target and first read. If he just holds onto the ball for 2 more seconds or just scans the field and get off his only read he would see number 10 and it would have been about a 60 yard TD. 

There are countless plays like this all the time. 

He just misses plays that veteran savvy QB's make and it's like all the time.

The majority of the young guys will be on defense. That's why you would spend money in FA on defense with guys who can make plays and bring experience to that unit. Offense is pretty veteran heavy. Vet offense line. Vet TE will have a second-year player at WR and most likely a first-year player at WR along with a vet WR in Williams and Jacobs who plays like a vet AND Brady can see the field. 

8 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

6 pro bowlers on offense?

This is another terrible argument. Ingold is great for the run game, but let's not equate Ingold as a pro bowl alternate with Julio Jones. The pro bowl is a meaningless nomination. We know that Darren Waller is an excellent tight end. We didn't need him to receive a nomination, or lack thereof to know that.

The WR group is unimpressive, especially considering Williams has been hobbled for most of the year (prior to which I might add he was averaging 1 touchdown a week). When Renfrow has been healthy and available, the Carr Renfrow connection has been excellent. Even with both, the receiver group is mediocre. Without both of them at 100%, it's a bad group. Moreau and Carr also had a decent little connection, but unfortunately he suffered the knee injury and that caused the WR group to take an even bigger hit.

Brown has been out for the last few weeks and with a sieve in RT Brandon Parker, Carr has actually managed the pocket and pressure quite well without Brown.

The last few weeks with Jacobs out, you can argue that Carr has actually played better. Not because Jacobs has been out, but because Gruden has spread out the offense and allowed Carr to play more from the gun. 

Point being let's give credit where it's due. There is certainly talent on the offense as it stands. But it's also far from perfect. Carr is not a guy who can carry scrubs. But if you give him talent he will excel. Even the guys we consider elite (let's say Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, and Brees) are currently playing with talented offenses. If you add a talented young receiver in the draft, IMO the offense will have the balance it needs to excel.

Maybe I'm wrong. It will be an interesting offseason to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is another terrible argument. Ingold is great for the run game, but let's not equate Ingold as a pro bowl alternate with Julio Jones. The pro bowl is a meaningless nomination. We know that Darren Waller is an excellent tight end. We didn't need him to receive a nomination, or lack thereof to know that.

The WR group is unimpressive, especially considering Williams has been hobbled for most of the year (prior to which I might add he was averaging 1 touchdown a week). When Renfrow has been healthy and available, the Carr Renfrow connection has been excellent. Even with both, the receiver group is mediocre. Without both of them at 100%, it's a bad group. Moreau and Carr also had a decent little connection, but unfortunately he suffered the knee injury and that caused the WR group to take an even bigger hit.

Brown has been out for the last few weeks and with a sieve in RT Brandon Parker, Carr has actually managed the pocket and pressure quite well without Brown.

The last few weeks with Jacobs out, you can argue that Carr has actually played better. Not because Jacobs has been out, but because Gruden has spread out the offense and allowed Carr to play more from the gun. 

Point being let's give credit where it's due. There is certainly talent on the offense as it stands. But it's also far from perfect. Carr is not a guy who can carry scrubs. But if you give him talent he will excel. Even the guys we consider elite (let's say Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, and Brees) are currently playing with talented offenses. If you add a talented young receiver in the draft, IMO the offense will have the balance it needs to excel.

Maybe I'm wrong. It will be an interesting offseason to say the least.

What about the turnover at WR?  Almost every week Carr has a new starting WR, that by itself Throws the timing of the offense off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

6 pro bowlers on offense?

Why do people keep citing the pro bowl like it’s some big accomplishment, i mean Carr himself is a 3 time pro bowler. And he only has one receiver who made it to the pro bowl in Waller. The same dude who’s been pretty quiet as of late. So tell me just who else on this offense is supposed to be that go to guy?

• Like 2