Patriots sign WR Demaryius Thomas (One year, $6M)

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

They had Edelman and scraps at WR before this. They need bodies. Thomas has a body, more or less, so he might be of use.

Dorsett will be competent. I think he could blow up in a starting role to a lesser extent like Edelman 2013

If anything he's nothing more than a red zone target to eat up some of those Gronk targets.  I'd say low yards 500-700 but close to 8 TD's though because of the offense he'll be in and the opportunities he'll see down there. 

I once argued he was the second best WR in the league. Strange how a couple injuries and age can change an opinion so far on someone. He is definitely not the #1 option anymore. I’d hate to have him as a #2. Working as a #3 though he probably still has enough left for that if he’s healthy. 

With only $150,000 guaranteed I doubt he makes the team. He's lost all of his explosion and he isn't physical enough on contested balls to be a consistent red zone threat without the athletic traits he used to have.

Hell of a career, but I fear this is the end.

4 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I once argued he was the second best WR in the league. Strange how a couple injuries and age can change an opinion so far on someone. He is definitely not the #1 option anymore. I’d hate to have him as a #2. Working as a #3 though he probably still has enough left for that if he’s healthy. 

Physically it's been a really steep decline. He has really taken a beating over the years and played through it all. So many games over the years I'd see him limp off after taking a big shot and be back in the huddle a couple plays later. 

DT is one of the biggest physical marvels I've ever seen at the position. The DT screen may have been the most unstoppable passing play in football for a time. Still, there's always been a "what could have been" element with him because he was never very physical despite his size and could be limited by CBs roughing him up. He was able to stave off some of the loss of athleticism post-Peyton by being a truly great route runner but I'm not sure his body can work through the grind anymore. 

If he can give them some help in a #2 outside WR type role and consistently help move the chains and keep outside CBs honest, he will stick and be a solid contributor. If not, he'll get cut in training camp IMO. No risk, potentially decent reward. They don't need him to be the guy that he was, but if he can be a guy like late career Keyshawn in Dallas/Carolina, they'll be more than happy with that.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:25 PM, childofpudding said:

I hope he makes the $6m, that will likely mean he played out of his mind.

But if the ceiling is $6m, I hope the floor is the lowest cap hit possible of $645k. A 30+ year old WR returning from an Achilles tear? Can't expect much.

But add in the fact that he is on the Pats and well...the Pats always seem to be able to get good production from WR's no matter what. 

Archived